First off, there is no way that at this point in time I can afford either. But I find it easier to save with a specific item in mind. So I've gotten it down to the following
-JCM 800 2204
-Rockverb 50W

I play a mostly punk, a little pop punk, some indie/alternative. I love the tone on both amps. I need something with a lot of bite when overdriven, but very smooth cleans, even at higher volumes. I'm really torn, though I've been slightly leaning towards the marshall because its what most of my favorite bands use, and the JCM seems alot more simple. I like simple. I also want something I can run with very little pedals to get good tone out of. Oh, and I'm not sure how aplicable this is, but if one of these is tougher (better at withstanding abuse), that'd be good to know. I dont want a fragile amp.

Thanks
-Chris
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Orange in my opinion. Both are great amps, and while the Orange's are all overpriced, I prefer them to Marshalls and you can usually find a good deal on them used.
the JCM, I think, if you play mostly punk.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
i played the 2 right next to each other once. well...it was a 2203. problem is, i dont remember what i thought. problem with jcm 800: no channel switching, no reverb. you need someone to stand in front of your amp and lower the gain for you while you lower your guitars volume in order to go from very distorted to decently clean. both sound good. marshall looks more professional. if your a punk musician, you probably dont want that. orange looks more like "wtf is he using?" especially to someone who doesnt play, but then you use it and its like "oh, cool. it sounds great." hopefully that was more useful to you than it seems like to me.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by rhoadsfan92
i played the 2 right next to each other once. well...it was a 2203. problem is, i dont remember what i thought. problem with jcm 800: no channel switching, no reverb. you need someone to stand in front of your amp and lower the gain for you while you lower your guitars volume in order to go from very distorted to decently clean. both sound good. marshall looks more professional. if your a punk musician, you probably dont want that. orange looks more like "wtf is he using?" especially to someone who doesnt play, but then you use it and its like "oh, cool. it sounds great." hopefully that was more useful to you than it seems like to me.

the first part is a decent argument, but looks....wtf?

Don't judge me.
well if they both sound good, looks is the next most important thing, right?
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

eh...one is always going to be better than the other.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
eh...one is always going to be better than the other.

You're arguing the same point as him.

Looks AND sounding good is better than sounding good and looking like ****e...right?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3

Looks AND sounding good is better than sounding good and looking like ****e...right?

eh, i meant one is always going to sound better.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Yngwi3

exactly

the JCM 800

that amp just f`ing rules.

just use a tube screamer to get the huge overdrive then you shouldn`t have to worry about the cleans when you need them, just shut the TS down