Page 1 of 2
Ok, how many of you play a majority of the time with your thumb wrapped around the neck sitting there or acutally muting strings? Is there anything wrong playing like this?

I know it is 'technically' not the correct way to play but is it just a preference thing?
my thumb hangs over the top of the fret board at times. it's probably not proper but it's what feels comfortable to me, hasn't hindered my playing in anyway so far.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Mine's sitting mostly on top of, and a bit below the skunk stripe on my strat's neck. The only time it moves is for a song where all I play are open chords or when I need more leverage on a bend. Orhterwise it mainly sits in the back.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Sometimes I bend my thumb over my neck and play notes on the low E if need be. Even slides and stuff.
what do you mean it's not "technically" the right thing to do?

there are no rules for guitar, if it's a matter of personal preference, then for you it's the right thing.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by les_paul_01
what do you mean it's not "technically" the right thing to do?

there are no rules for guitar, if it's a matter of personal preference, then for you it's the right thing.

I only have my thumb over the neck to get more leverage while doing big bends while playing blues and the like. Most of the time it sits right in the middle of the neck about parallel with my middle finger.
I do it if I know im gonna be bending it gives your more leverage for your bends
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
yeah i disagree that it isn't the "correct" way to play because there are some songs that you have to use your thumb to play bass notes on the low E. example: john mayer - neon. i use my thumb a lot and can now actually play the A string if i want/need to
incubus rocks my world
I think Jimmy Page plays with his thumb over. If it feels good and it sounds good then why not?
I keep mine over because I often play Jimi Hendrix/John Frusciante style Barre Chords i.e. Thumb on Root note on E-string, instead of Index finger.

But I pull it back when playing regular power chords and such, so both.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I donn't honestly think there is a right way to play guitar...I mean you can play anyway you want really. There's a guy who plays with his feet...I mean damn.

Either way ,I sometimes use my thumb to play a bit of rhythm on the E string.
I play Tears in Heaven with my thumb. Hell, I also play Same Direction by Hoobastank with my thumb.

I put all my little digits to work.
Thumb over, always... except for power chords and chords with roots on the A string.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
I'll also use my thumb to mute the low E string while playing some open chords (mostly when there's some overdrive involved).
I rarely put it over, with open chords or some bends. Over the neck can give you more feeling and better vibrato and more accurate bends but behind is better for stretches and almost all other techniques.
Quote by JD Red LP

I only have my thumb over the neck to get more leverage while doing big bends while playing blues and the like. Most of the time it sits right in the middle of the neck about parallel with my middle finger.

Lol ur a duche, you can play guitar however you want if it works for you. Marty Friedman right to the face *SLAP*
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Most of the time my thumb is behind the neck, though sometimes i'll wrap it around.
Quote by JD Red LP

^This
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
My thumb is basically always over except for power chords. Sometimes it seems harder to play solos with your thumb sitting on the top of the neck because my fingers are not 'propped' up on the fretboard.
Quote by Tempoe
I rarely put it over, with open chords or some bends. Over the neck can give you more feeling and better vibrato and more accurate bends but behind is better for stretches and almost all other techniques.

Haha, so putting your thumb over the neck gives you more feeling?
This feeling crap is absolute bullocks.
My thumb is never over the neck. I guess you're all doing it wrong.
I don't even notice it most of the time. I usually use it to mute the E string, but besides that and a few other cases it is usually behind the neck. It has become so instinctual to me that I honestly don't even notice it anymore.
I did for 6 years.

New guitar teacher forces me to put my hand in the classical position, and i cant do it.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by James13v
Lol ur a duche, you can play guitar however you want if it works for you. Marty Friedman right to the face *SLAP*

saying you can play guitar the way you want is a bit of an overstatement.

if you play with the wrong technique you can end up with several wrist injuries.

I'm not saying that playing with the thumb is bad, I do it at times myself. But saying "you can play how you want" is VERY ignorant from a health perspective.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
^Tell that to Tommy Emmanuel.

Even though it isn't technically the right way to play, I switch between wrapping my thumb around and having it on the back of the neck, because when I first started playing, I was taught to wrap it around when playing open chords, which is all I was doing at the time. That, and I have really big hands, and really long fingers, so it's quite uncomfortable for me to play with my thumb on the back of the neck all the time.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by jkielq91
iv seen james hetfield do it

i do it when im playing like fret 12 and up

That's no good reason to do anything.

In my humble opinion your thumb should be entirely behind the guitar so as to avoid any stupid injuries like carpal tunnel as somebody already mentioned. I VERY occasionally use the thumb for chord inversions since somebody sometimes shows me a song and I don't bother to relearn the fingering, but that's the only time.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
sometimes to play solos i wrap it
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I do this all the time. It makes muting the low E string a lot easier, and it just feels more natural. I never use it to play notes on that string, though; that just feels weird for some reason...
Last edited by Fox McKalen at Feb 23, 2009,
I've been wondering about this too. I've always had my thumb on the top of the neck rather than behind it because the first couple of songs I learnt required you to use your thumb for the E string. Now I'll have to re-learn I think because I find it makes my other fingers too flat on the fretboard and they catch on other string when doing solo type stuff rather than chords.
Ibanez SZ320MH WBR (2004)
Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
JHS Vintage: V6SB (2000)
Tanglewood AJ870 AVS (1998)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
I'm a pretty heavy blues musician and it usually stays over unless im playing rhythm. Always seems to be sort-of-right with the thumb anchored to the neck at the knuckle like when playing a barr chord.

To the classical trained guy who is bashing us for being imperfect, go learn alternate ways to play barr and do a three-step bend without popping it over. Though it is thought to be classically correct doesn't mean it is, especially with the past 50-100 years of guitar evolution introducing anything and everything that seems to break classical rules, such as distortion and altering frequencies (effects)
I play both ways depending on how much presure i want to apply to the strings. I think apart from classical style the other people that seem to follow this rule are shredders. Look at SRV, Angus young, Alex Lifeson and Jimi Hendrix etc, are all these guitarists doing it wrong? I don't think so. Do what you find comfortable, you'll play better.

Regards
Delboy
I do for a few genres, like funk and flatpicking blues.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
It is incredibly irritating that people are using famous musicians as an example to validate their point. While I do not subscribe to either side, it is irrelevant if a famous musicians plays a certain way. It does nothing but invalidate attempts at argument by suggesting that because one musician does it, it is correct.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.
Quote by James13v

You can but your tendons may not like it. I do pop my thumb over the neck to occasionally hit notes on the low string or for really big bends/vibrato/whatever. If what you're doing works for you then by all means continue if it isn't hurting you. Try using a mix of both styles though, you can get much larger (comfortable) stretches out of the "classical" position, and easier big bends with the other way.

BTW it's "you're a douche." If you are going to resort to flinging insults over technique advice on the internet you should try to use somewhat proper grammar/spelling. Makes you look like a bit of a dumbass.

Cheers
I do it.

God damn Froosh passing down bad technique, but oh well. It's part of my "style" I guess to play like that, even if I play metal.
Page 1 of 2