i need some suggestions on affordable basses that are similar to his alembic explorer. or any others u know.
Quote by vaderbassist
i need some suggestions on affordable basses that are similar to his alembic explorer. or any others u know.

Affordable and Alembic should not be used in the same sentence. Ever.

Honestly it depends on whats affordable to you - like how much money your willing to spend. And an important part of John Entwistles tone is Rotosound roundwound strings - i think before you go out and buy a new bass, slap some roto round wounds on your p-bass and see what you think.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
well dean makes an explorer type bass, but I'm not sure the quality. I'm sure with some mod work, it could be great, they run like 200 bucks or something like that.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
There's nothing like it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
you can't get anything like an alembic that isn't an alembic
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Spankyx2
well dean makes an explorer type bass, but I'm not sure the quality. I'm sure with some mod work, it could be great, they run like 200 bucks or something like that.

Also, Dean and bass should never be used in the same sentence either - the Dimebag bass was a travesty. The CEO of Dean might has well have shat on his grave.

Threadstarter, go grab yourself a nice new set of Rotosound roundwound strings from your nearest Guitar Center, and slap them on your bass. No, they will not get you The Ox's tone EXACTLY. On a budget nothing will. But what you will get is the same clarity, and a bit more of an aggresive edge - roundwounds, especially roto's, are the sound of every "lead bassist" in music.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
But his rig was a huge contribution to his sound, i reckon floow his rig and youll get closer, an Ashdown rpm preamp, a couple of trace elliot power amps, a crossover, some really low frequency bass cabs, and some 10's. I really do love his rig.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
But his rig was a huge contribution to his sound, i reckon floow his rig and youll get closer, an Ashdown rpm preamp, a couple of trace elliot power amps, a crossover, some really low frequency bass cabs, and some 10's. I really do love his rig.

He said hes on a budget, i think even a fraction of Johns rig is too much money for the TS.
Quote by thefitz
Threadstarter, you looking for the look or his tone?

Look? There are tonnes of old cheap Explorer copies kicking around, and a Dean if you want it new.

The notion of an Alembic sounding bass for cheap is just silly. If that was possible, all cheap basses would sound like that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Also, Dean and bass should never be used in the same sentence either - the Dimebag bass was a travesty. The CEO of Dean might has well have shat on his grave.

Yeah, but on a budget, they're something to look at. Who else offers a brand new bass for $80?
Whatever you do, just don't get the Dean one. I've played it before. Just uncomfortable all around. Bad wood, bad neck, bad pickup, bad bridge. It sucks. Look on ebay for a different brand. You might find something cheap that sounds pretty good.
Gear:

Fender 1980 "THE Strat"
Fender 2005 MIM Tele
Jay Turser Les Paul

Monster Cables

Fender PT-100 Pedal Tuner
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff (NYC)
MXR Phase 90

Crate V33H head
Crate V212 cab
Quote by herby190
Yeah, but on a budget, they're something to look at. Who else offers a brand new bass for $80?

Knotts Berry Farm will give you a brand new bass for however many tries it takes to win one of the booth games. They even LOOK like real basses. But the question is, if you have any respect for sound...will you play it?
Quote by thefitz
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Knotts Berry Farm will give you a brand new bass for however many tries it takes to win one of the booth games. They even LOOK like real basses. But the question is, if you have any respect for sound...will you play it?

I thought they were pretty nice, lol.
Quote by InvaderTSN
I thought they were pretty nice, lol.

so do i, but im too embarrased to say it.
Quote by thefitz
What the hell are you talking about?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
What the hell are you talking about?

They give out plywood Fender copies as a prize for winning some game at Knotts Berry Farm. Your Canadian, so im not sure if your familiar with Knotts - its a huge theme park in southern california based on bad cartoons.

I was comparing the knockoff basses to Deans because of that guy promoting them because theyre dirt cheap and look vaguely like you might be able to put four strings on them.
Quote by thefitz
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
They give out plywood Fender copies as a prize for winning some game at Knotts Berry Farm. Your Canadian, so im not sure if your familiar with Knotts - its a huge theme park in southern california based on bad cartoons.

I was comparing the knockoff basses to Deans because of that guy promoting them because theyre dirt cheap and look vaguely like you might be able to put four strings on them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting. just merely pointing out that fact. I don't own a dean bass.