hey everyone. im having a problem recording with audacity. i havent tried any other yet.

i used audacity with windows xp before and it worked perfectly. but now ive formatted and installed windows 7 beta and audacity is recording so quiety. i jacked up the computer setting mic voume all the way and same thing happens. the volumes in audacity are up as well. i jacked up the volume on my guitar preamp and any pedal i have between the guitar and computer mic input.

i used to be able to keep the guitar volume to like 30-50% for good to loud sound and now everything is so quiet that i can barely hear it. the guitar sounds fine through my amps using the exact same wires and pedals.
Try recording using a program other than Audacity, to see if the problem is within audacity, or the mic itself. Pretty sure MS has a pre-installed recorder.
-J
dude, go into the one of the tabs at the top and there should be an amplify thingy, click it and then set the amount of amplification you want.

same thing happens to me but this should help you get by at least.
the recording input volume for widows is probably set too low volume>advanced>recording
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
how are you running through to the computer? a mixer? if so, does the mixer run on batteries? try switching those.

also are you sure that the input volume is up all the way? (found next to the tab where you select the method of recording)
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
both input and output levels in audacity are all the way up. the windows audio mic recording volume is all the way up.

what are some other good recording programs? hopefully for free but if not... well.. i think its safe to say most of us nowadays can find a way around that....

*gets abducted by fbi*
Not a good one, just any recording device to test if the problem is Audacity or not.

I urge against using Amplify to raise the volume, as that will cause clipping.
-J
i tried a couple others and seems like it doesnt want to work!!!!!!! NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wha happen???

i just bought an interface and will use with my mic. hope it works.