Page 1 of 2
I recently aquired an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and there a couple issues that lead me to believe I may have a fake Epiphone. Could anyone help here. The serial number is not found by the Epiphone Dater project and I don't know if it is that someone tried to repair the electronics or what the deal is, but there is only a 2 way toggle switch instead of the normal 3 way. Also the knobs are not standard Epi or Gibson knobs which I know can be changed easily. The serial number is listed as SN K001060. I can post pics of the guitar if that will help. Please any help would be appreciated.
yup, pics would help. how did you get the guitar ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphonefaq.aspx

maybe your epi was made during the 'japanese era'

also i noticed that the exmaple they give for a serial number has 10 digits. my epi serial number also has 10 digits. the one you gave only has 9...that might be it too?
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Feb 23, 2009,
: o
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by mikeyElite
yup, pics would help. how did you get the guitar ?

I picked up the guitar from a guy on Craigslist. If it is fake I will be going to him and asking (DEMANDING) my money back.
body shape looks a little sketch to me, but it could just be the angle. The tuners are definitely not stock, nor is the trimming. That can all be user-replaced, but also, the back plates that cover the wiring are also black, and not cream. Again, the person could have replaced those as well. What really gets me is that the sunburst finish does not look like it's applied to a maple cap or veneer. It's so much darker than your typical "les paul standard sunburst" that it almost looks like the kind of burst you'd see on an all mahogany les paul custom.

Also, I noticed that the nut is black, which is usually not the case for sunburst les paul standards.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 23, 2009,
hard to tell, lots of stuff looks swapped out/changed. really nice looking guitar though, how much did you pay for it ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
why does the trussrod cover say gibson? that and the Epiphone logo looks really shotty and the tuners aren't right. i'm willing to bet it's a fake. ask him if he did any upgrades to the guitar.

also, i'm positive it's a fake but why would someone do a fake Epiphone?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by mikeyElite
hard to tell, lots of stuff looks swapped out/changed. really nice looking guitar though, how much did you pay for it ?

I got it for $300 which as it is seems to be a rip off. I mean why would somebody fake an Epiphone, isn't that like making a counterfeit penny?
Quote by SomebodySomeone
why does the trussrod cover say gibson? that and the Epiphone logo looks really shotty and the tuners aren't right. i'm willing to bet it's a fake. ask him if he did any upgrades to the guitar.

also, i'm positive it's a fake but why would someone do a fake Epiphone?

Really thatd be like me making a squier copy it wouldnt make sense
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
that is the most obvious fake ever. You should smash his head in with the guitar.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Really thatd be like me making a squier copy it wouldnt make sense

that's what i thought but then again. nobody expects a fake epiphone either. maybe that's his plan

either way, by teh looks of the guitar it's a fake. either that or it's a LP copy with the original logo peeled off and a crappy home-made epiphone logo pasted on to it.

the latter makes more sense.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I'd say it's a copy, the Epiphone symbol looks shoddy, and why does it have Gibson symbol on it? Anyway, go get your money back.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
25W Fender Front-man amp

I've played classical guitar for 2 and 3/4 years, just got my Les Paul a couple of days back.
Yeah I am going to be talking to the seller tomorrow and get my money back or I am going to **** the dude up. That's just not cool to rip someone off.
One question tho... does it play well!?

Cos i mean if it does, who the hell cares if it's a fake? jeez...
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Well it plays well except for a few facts. The toggle switch is only a 2 way so it is either Bridge or Neck not both. Aside from that the pickups are horrid. I anticipated changing them anyway, but really it is the principle behind it. I could have picked up a cheaper Les Paul copy if that is what I was looking for but it wasn't.
mmm... I'm assuming u've picked it up cheaper than an epi LPS anyways, fair enough tho.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
looks like a low end epiphone to me. no reason to think its a fake. they may not put all the serial numbers for studio models on the serial number checker. possibly?
Thank you please.
yup its fake, lp stands and customs normally have grover tuners and those one look like cheaply made shoddy ones
Quote by mindstealer
I mean why would somebody fake an Epiphone, isn't that like making a counterfeit penny?

Exactly, I was wondering that myself
Quote by Joel '95
I'd say it's a copy, the Epiphone symbol looks shoddy, and why does it have Gibson symbol on it? Anyway, go get your money back.

Wow people that don't know anything about Korean Epiphone Les Paul's shouldn't comment before Epiphone made the guitars in China they made them in Korea before 2003 and all Koreans Epiphone's had Gibson on the truss rod cover.

But yeah I'm pretty sure that's a fake.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Yeah I have a few other Epi's that have the Gibson truss rod cover, that didn't worry me at all. The part that really made me take notice was the fact that the serial did not come up on the Epiphone dater project and the look was just off.
for all you saying oh all epiphoneles pauls have grovers
il think youl find those tuners were stock on epiphone les pauls up untill around 03-04 aswell as the truss rod cover saying gibson
they were then changed to the model name and grover tuners
as you can see here on this 02 lp custom

but yeah chances are its fake
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
That is a very nice guitar Steve. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I own at this point 4 other Epiphone electrics and 1 Epiphone Acoustic and of the 4 other electrics 2 of them say Gibson and the Acoustic does as well.
Be careful what you assume regarding the seller.

Just cause a person pays with a counterfiet bill it doesn't mean they made it in their basement.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Oh I don't assume the guy made it in his basement, he could have been as unsuspecting as me. That doesn't change the fact that he sold me something that was counterfeit and I noticed it. He will have to give me my money back and sell it to someone else.
Quote by mindstealer
Oh I don't assume the guy made it in his basement, he could have been as unsuspecting as me. That doesn't change the fact that he sold me something that was counterfeit and I noticed it. He will have to give me my money back and sell it to someone else.
You can ask for your money back, sure. But I doubt that he "ripped you off" as you said or that you should "f*** the dude up"
It should ultimately come down to buyer beware.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Van Noord
You can ask for your money back, sure. But I doubt that he "ripped you off" as you said or that you should "f*** the dude up"
It should ultimately come down to buyer beware.

Well maybe he didn't rip me off, but when I tried to contact him this morning he was fine with talking to me until I told him the guitar was a counterfeit. Then his phone mysteriously cut out, then turned off, and won't turn back on. I have left him a message that we need to remedy this today. We will see what happens.
Quote by buttknuckle
http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=115

From the text :
"Back of Headstock with "I" serial number. NOTE: The counterfeit guitar is MISSING one number."

There's also discussions regarding fake epiphones on a few other sites,
http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=56
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

Great link! Especially the last one. I read the article and it was very informative. BTW youu'll note on the TS pics the knobs are wacked exactly like the article points out!
Moving on.....
That is my thought. I did leave a message on his phone that I was giving him until 1 PM today to contact me back or else I would be contacting the local police and possibly even filing a small claims lawsuit against him.
Quote by mindstealer
Well it plays well except for a few facts. The toggle switch is only a 2 way so it is either Bridge or Neck not both. Aside from that the pickups are horrid. I anticipated changing them anyway, but really it is the principle behind it. I could have picked up a cheaper Les Paul copy if that is what I was looking for but it wasn't.

Replace the switch with a three-way. Horrid pickups come standard on Epiphone.
So basically, its good except for something that costs about $3 to replace, and something that would have been unavoidable anyways?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence[/center[
Quote by mindstealer
That is my thought. I did leave a message on his phone that I was giving him until 1 PM today to contact me back or else I would be contacting the local police and possibly even filing a small claims lawsuit against him.

Good idea he's prolly dodging you because he already spent your money or he knows hes caught or both.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by mindstealer
I got it for $300 which as it is seems to be a rip off. I mean why would somebody fake an Epiphone, isn't that like making a counterfeit penny?

Thats exactly the reason somebody would fake an Epiphone. If somebody was buying a second hand, top of the line guitar, they would be on the lookout for fakes. People wouldnt be so cautious if they were buying a mid-price or low-price guitar.

And, I'm no expert but I think that guitar could be fake. Or else its got a lot of customization done to it.
it looks a fake the colour looks wrong, the serial number looks in to good a nick, the nut is is the wrong colour, the toggle switch shoud be a 3 way not 2 and the use of so many after market parts makes me raise an eye brow
Page 1 of 2