My brother's friend got the classic starcaster (very cheap) starter set for guitar a couple years ago. About a year ago he gave it to my brother, who then gave it to me, because its pretty bad and he plays bass.

Anyway my point is I've been looking around at people who have modded their guitars, (especially the strat copies) and I think I would like to as well. I saw that most of these are cheap which is good, and keep in mind this guitar isn't my primary guitar. I have a Mexican HSS Strat that I use mainly, plus a ESP LTD EX-260 Explorer, and I also plan on getting a Les Paul sometime in the future.

I like this thing enough to keep it and plunk around with it though. I think I want to mod it for mostly cosmetic reasons, although some things that are cheap will that will help sound/playability that are easy to do will be welcomed as well.

My point is, just show me what some good ideas are for modding a cheapo strat.

PICS:

Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
new pots, pickups, bridge, tuners, nut, paintjob, setup, wiring configuration (add in some push pull pots for coil tap and split etc)
Quote by acdclandon
My brother's friend got the classic starcaster (very cheap) starter set for guitar a couple years ago.
Quote by acdclandon
I like this thing enough to keep it and plunk around with it though.
Quote by acdclandon
My point is, just show me what some good ideas are for modding a cheapo strat.
1 - Keep the investment low. This guitar will never have much value, but you can learn some things from working on it.

2 - Improve the playability. Level, crown, and polish the frets. Adjust the relief. Lower the action. Set the intonation.

3 - Biggest problem will probably be tuning stability. Start by replacing the POS nut with a bone, tusq or graphtech. If you don't use the trem, block it. If you do, look for a decent, low-cost replacement.

4 - Have fun with whatever paint/artwork, but save the costly upgrades for a better guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Feb 23, 2009,
killswitch. takes less than 10 minutes to fit (if it's round), can cost less than a dollar, and is a lot of fun to mess around with.
Quote by Grif22
killswitch. takes less than 10 minutes to fit (if it's round), can cost less than a dollar, and is a lot of fun to mess around with.

hmm intriguing, but I don't think i would use it

btw i usually have this thing in set in something like drop c for the tunings that i don't feel like tuning all the way down to with my other guitars.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
hehe...that is the exact same model I have.XD...

the only thing I've done to mine was paint the single coil covers black...>_>...I wanna do a little more but...eh...it was my first guitar so it kind of holds sentimental value to me as it already is.=p

anyway, I would paint it...something...different...there are way too many plain ol' black and white strats in the world.=p it will make it at least look like a new guitar.XD

it's a cheap mod anyway...so...have some fun with it. idk if I would get a whole lot more done to it...kind of a waste imo...like someone else said...save most of your resources for a higher quality project.=]
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 23, 2009,
i had the idea of changing pretty much everything on this guitar but the body?

I mean get a mexican or american tremelo bridge somewhere, some kind of maple neck (if there is one out there for cheap) new tuners, and than the last thing would be painting the body and possibly the pickguard along with new pups.

ultimately it would be changing the whole thing, worth it?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
It would be worth it for learning how to mod a guitar, for sure.
Maybe start with pickup swaps? Check out guitarfetish.com for some cheap pickups that can get it rockin some more.
scratch and sniff,
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
I'm almost in agreement with Someoneyouknew.

- Keep the investment as small as possible, It's not and never will be a GREAT guitar. But absolutely have some fun modding it and learn what you can from it.
- Give it a good setup and work the frets only if needed. The issue with most cheap guitars is the fact that they leave the fret ends sharp and that can be touched up easily.
- Block the trem if you don't use it. It always seems to add a bit more sustain and tuning stability. Replace or recut the nut if and only if you're still having tuning issues.
- I wouldn't touch the paint if it's in good shape. But then I'm a fan of black Strats. Instead get yourself a nice tortoise or black or even black pearl pickguard and some upgrade pickups like the guitar fetish ones already suggested. The ones I have sound very good and didn't cost much.
- On the real cheapies I like to refinish the neck too. Leave the fretboard alone but sand the back and headstock. Give it a nice smooth clear coat. Maybe darken it up a bit to give it a totally different look. Make up a new personallized headstock logo.
I wouldnt care about modding the hell out of my first guitar, but I dont risk myself since its a set neck. Thats why I bought a cheap guitar to do my first mod, a frankenstrat.

I recommend to go for the change of pickguard, for a prewired as stated above. Also follow SomeoneYouKnew's advice since its very good. But basically as far as aesthethics go, I would go for a custom Paintjob, somthing you think you like, and thats original, that even though its a StarCaster, people will want to buy it from you!
Quote by GesadiaH
scratch and sniff,

you had to bump a month old thread to tell us that did you?
you should turn it into an evh or SRV "lenny", or you should relic it and make it look all vintage. After, replace pickups for tone, trem for quality and someoneyouknow's suggestions
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

3 - Biggest problem will probably be tuning stability. Start by replacing the POS nut with a bone, tusq or graphtech. If you don't use the trem, block it. If you do, look for a decent, low-cost replacement.

4 - Have fun with whatever paint/artwork, but save the costly upgrades for a better guitar.

3- This is absolutely true. The best thing I did for mine was a new bridge.

4- A guitar is as good as the person who plays it, and as good as you make it. But you can get cheap parts that are heads and shoulders ahead of what's in there.

My suggestion: Throw some new electronics on there, and a new bridge, and you're good, especially if it already plays well.
Quote by guitarcam123
are my posts invisible?

No..
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12