BIG MUFF

good buy?

im thinking of buying it to play muse, arctic monkeys, kaiser chiefs, and general indie/alternative stuff.

amp is in my sig

thanks
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I doubt it will got well with the Roland, besides, it won't cut it for Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs, imo.
Good for muse but i agree with goldenglove about the amp...
the pedal is great for things like the white stripes, frusciante, and stuff...
RIP Gooze

cats
any recommendations of a different pedal?

Quote by cornmancer
if you're planning on running pedals, use a tube amp.

the point about a roland cube (as well as other modelling amps) is this: getting multiple effects and sounds on a budget.

be aware that if you move into the world of pedals and tube amps, you will spend quite a bit of money compared to how much that cube cost you.
i used to run pedals through my FM212R and they sounded decent enough. i don't see why the big muff would be a bad option. there woudn't be anything that sounds like it on the amp and once you upgrade your amp, you already have a great pedal to run in front of it. try and go to a shop and try out a couple of pedals before you buy it.
You'll better off with a new amp, besides, the Big Muff is not what you want for the bands you listed. It's more of a bassy muddy thing (it can get more fuzzy and treble-y with the tone control all the way up, but the mids will be too scooped), not Muse for sure - you'd better buy a Fuzz Factory, Foxx Tone Machine, Red Witch Fuzz God or just some 'generic' fuzz if you want Bellamy's tone.
And for Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic Monkeys, an OD or just an overdriven amp.
Last edited by Goldenglove at Feb 23, 2009,
hmm. i DID get recommended a proco RAT 2..

but i really dont want a new amp (ive only had this since christmas), and i can't get anything that decent out of my zoom. so i thought a better quality, highly recommended pedal would be better...

Quote by cornmancer
i'd say no

i only use mine for white stripes and assorted mad bits

if you want muse you wont be satisfied til you get a fuzz factory.

a RAT would suit you for kaiser chiefs and arctic monkeys i'd say

you might want to hang fire til you have a new amp, i doubt the cube will like fuzz
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
okay.

goldenglove, (or anyone) would you recommend either...

a proco rat 2

orrrr a digitech bad monkey ?

(instead of the Big muff, which i actually was GASing for )

Quote by cornmancer
I'd say Rat. Just because the Roland Cube, as far as I know, can get overdriven tones, there's no point in boosting it with a Bad Monkey, at it's hard, if impossible, to duplicate a Rat sound.
And besides, it's better to save up for a better OD than the Monkey, imo.
im just watching a demo of the rat, and it sounds like pretty much what im after..

edit:

i just found out, jamie cook actually uses a LITTLE big muff...

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Feb 23, 2009,
A lot still depends on the amp settings, wether he has some od/distortion running into or after the LBM, etc.
For example, the tone you get from a BMP into a clean channel is nothing like the tone you get with a BMP into an OD channel.
Besides, if the Rat seems like what you're after, go for it! Don't always buy gear just because someone else uses it
good advice, thanks goldenglove

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
im just watching a demo of the rat, and it sounds like pretty much what im after..

edit:

i just found out, jamie cook actually uses a LITTLE big muff...

AFAIK he also uses an AC30 so dont expect to replicate his tone with a cube =/
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.