Page 1 of 2
Ive been taking lessons for about 3 months and i feel i haven't progressed much. All i can do is play the 7 modes like locrian phrygian dorion and so on and i am really good at alternate picking. Im learning theory now and frankly i don't get it like the circle of 5ths and what scales work together and such. I can do some stuff on the guitar like improvise but nothing mind blowing and i haven't learn't any songs. Is this normal or is there something lacking, thanks for listening.
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
haha yeah well, like i know the modes but i can play the patterns but i dont know the theory behind it hes teaching it but i cant grasp it, and is that good for 3 months in. Like i can only play the scales as they are i dont know hwo ot change them up and make my own solos or riffs.
I learned this when taking lessons and now that I give lesons, trust me you and your teacher will benifit from this:
ask him questions. Anything you think of while you are playing, write it down, and next time you have a lesson, ask him.
It can be anything from technique to theory etc.

I mean think about what the teacher has to do, you just come up to him and say "teach me" and he will just teach you something that you may not care about or need. That is your best bet in getting the most out of your lessons.

edit: for instance, you said that you were not sure how the modes fit together, I understand I had the same problem(took me a while to grasp it). Next time you have a lesson just ask him how they relate to each other, if his explanation doesnt make any sense, ask him to explain it another way.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Feb 23, 2009,
Wow Sacamano, that's perfect advice. I think that's probably the biggest part of that teacher - student relationship that gets left out around here sometimes.
I do but it just doesn't seem to click and also like I cant play anything that sounds musical you know what i mean like i know scales but that's it like i cant use them musically
well, in a more specific topic on the modes:
If I were to say that something was in the key of C, and asked you what the modes were associated with that key, you should be able to tell me they were C Ionian D Dorian E Phrygian etc..

Now as a disclaimer before archeo avis or someone like that comes around here, playing in the key of C is not the same thing as playing in C Ionian or D Dorian, they have the same notes, but work differently.

Back to the point though, if you were in C and were going to improvise, you could obviously use your shape for a C major scale, as well as the box shape for Dorian with the root note on D and the box shape for phrygian with the root note on E and so on. So if you know your box shapes of the (dare I call them) 'modes', and what the notes on the fretboard are, you can improvise all over the neck. If nothing I just said was new to you, then I dont know what you dont understand".

Oh and as for using them musically, its all about phrasing.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
thanks a lot dude, I kind of get it i guess its just gonna take more time, do you think this is good progress for 3 months because i have friends who never took lessons and there in bands i feel like im lagging behind even though im taking lessons.
well when did you start playing? Have you only been playing 3 months or have you only been taking lessons for 3 months.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
started everything 3 months ago had no prior knowledge also what should i learn next like what are the essentials.
yea, thats great progress for 3 months. I wouldnt be worried about a band yet, you need to get better at the instrument first.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
OK thanks a lot dude i appreciate it if u dont mind my amp is a marshal mg30dfx and it sucks the sounds horrible, what do u recommend for metal core black metal styles what type of amp for up to 1000 dollars, thanks
I think you should forget modes and focus on basic things like Open chords, barre chords, etc. Also, do you know what a scale actually is?

Learning box shapes doesn't do anything if you don't know what you're playing, patterns are just there to help you locate the scale easier. I suggest going to the Crusade articles on this website and start theory from the beginning there.
Being honest here, being in a band doesn't mean anything. There are people who are great guitarists that aren't in bands. There are really ****ty guitarists who are in bands. Just wanted to throw that out there...
Quote by HarrySidhu
haha yeah well, like i know the modes but i can play the patterns but i dont know the theory behind it hes teaching it but i cant grasp it, and is that good for 3 months in. Like i can only play the scales as they are i dont know hwo ot change them up and make my own solos or riffs.

Then you don't know the modes unfortunately - the theory behind is what's important, the patterns are just the same as the relative major scale so you've really just learned the major scale 7 times over, sounds like you had a pretty duff teacher.

Nobody in their right mind should be trying to teach modes in the first three months, they're simply not useful or relevant enough to warrant spenfing time on - sounds like he's one of these people that thinks modes are the be all and end all of everything and likes to throw the names around to sound clever.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section and start re-learning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't sound like much of a teacher.

I mean, he taught you scales and modes without any mention of chords? Did he teach you any chords?

Everything is based on chords and only if you know about chords will you understand scales and modes.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
The best way to apply the theory is just to play a lot, and that comes from experience. When you play enough and think through the theory of it, you'll start to understand. Besides, the first few months are always harder because you're building up the basics.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It seems strange the teacher did not start you off with open chords and then show you how to use them to play a few simple songs. If after 3 months you can change cleanly between most chords and keep in tempo then you are doing fine. Once you get that down you will find learning new music, techniques and songs becomes easier as you get a better feel for it. The first 3 months or so are very tough as it seems like you are getting nowhere fast but if you keep plugging away for 3 months then you will be surprised how fast you start to pick things up.
Very true. First thing you ever teach someone, how to hold the guitar (Which is rather self explanitory but still...), basic chords. After they know what the chords are you direct them on how to fret them and everything. Then you learn your basic strum, and then a few strumming patterns. Get into chord changes faster, and you have yourself a song.

For the first few months most people focus on playing songs. Maybe a little bit of theory with learning what chords are and a chord progression. Then maybe later you learn what a scale is. A lot of playing comes from knowing what chords go into each other well. You learn what "sounds good". Its usually after you start noticing those things that you go into the theory.
How about i stick with my teacher but just quickly learn the chords, im pretty good with remembering chords and scales and all that but its hard to switch chords efficiently so should i practice that first... And on a side note my teacher is a speed metal guy and he loves shredding soloing and hes in a band called omegacrom check it out but maybe thats why hes teaching me what he knows so instead of strumming easy songs hes teaching me to play like heavy metal kind of stuff, maybe yes no?
well yeah and thats a good thing because i love metal anything that gets your head banging lol but are chords used in heavy metal like happy sounding ones like majors or no?
I think you should get a proper teacher - sounds like he might be a good player, but he doesn't have a clue how to teach properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

you might be right but like i know friends who dont know thoery and there could guitar players so unno im lost lol and they didnt even have teachers there self taught, i thinhk ill stick with it and see how far i get.
Your far better off teaching yourself than being taught badly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by HarrySidhu
Ive been taking lessons for about 3 months and i feel i haven't progressed much. All i can do is play the 7 modes like locrian phrygian dorion and so on and i am really good at alternate picking. Im learning theory now and frankly i don't get it like the circle of 5ths and what scales work together and such. I can do some stuff on the guitar like improvise but nothing mind blowing and i haven't learn't any songs. Is this normal or is there something lacking, thanks for listening.

Get a new teacher imo Ive been taking lessons for about 2 months almost 3 and Ive seen an improvement in my playing just in that short time. Ive learned 2 songs Wrathchild and Dr. Feelgood
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
lol this sucks i feel like i wasted my time ****ing hell... i guess ill see how it goes i just wanna play things like lamb of god n stuff and make my own riffs up
You didn't waste your time if you learnt stuff - you just missed some stuff out along the way. No biggie, you can soon fill in the gaps.
thats what im gonna do im gonna go over chords and stuff i missed seems though as my teacher likes scales and modes a lot lol, thanks to everyone.
Quote by HarrySidhu
thats what im gonna do im gonna go over chords and stuff i missed seems though as my teacher likes scales and modes a lot lol, thanks to everyone.

Definitely - becasue the stuff he's covered is a lot less important than the stuff he's missed out, sounds like he's more concerned with teaching you to show off rather than how to actually play the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

that's not necessarily a bad thing lol im kidding but yeah i think ur right about that
Quote by steven seagull
Definitely - becasue the stuff he's covered is a lot less important than the stuff he's missed out, sounds like he's more concerned with teaching you to show off rather than how to actually play the guitar.

My teacher taught me alot of scales but thats because I already had a strong grasp on chords and rhythm guitar so hes trying to get me better at lead where I had little to no experience. He teaches a song every once in a while as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
See... one of the things about learning lead guitar is being able to know rhythm guitar... thing about rhythm guitar is music theory and chords. I mean I have nothing at all against metal, but a lot of the metal heads don't properly learn music. I mean its like while I was at my college and was learning Tears in Heaven, I went to ask someone I knew how he did the beginning part with the hammer on because I would hold each string separately and then i would have to hammer on with my pinkey (which is hard when you have to do it so fast and you haven't practiced it really) and the one guy who plays metal but also knows how to use an acoustic showed me how he did it and the other guy who is a metalhead tells me "I don't learn chord ****." Its like *facepalm* really.

I think one of the things that I know a lot of people hated growing up with music was not being able to play what they wanted. A friend on the piano had over a year of piano but had to only learn a few classical songs to perfection. She now is able to actually have fun because she goes to learn what she wants, which some of it is songs from anime or games like Simple and Clean from Kingdom Hearts. Part of playing music is you have to like the music. If you like the music but are restricted so badly you wont be able to have your full potential.

It seems that you are well on able to learn on your own. These days there are lots of instructions on the internet as far as scales and chords and music theory. You pick up things fast enough and want to be able to go where you want, and it seems like thats what you should go. Go out and practice the songs you want, learn to play by ear, and make up your own songs.
yeah i suppose but having a teacher just helps point u in the right direction and gives more initiative to learn guitar but right now i think i can do it myself without a teacher and will learning songs help with improvising and stuff too?
i did iron man without solo pretty easy i found that's about all the songs i know im just gonna learn all the chords first
Quote by HarrySidhu
yeah i suppose but having a teacher just helps point u in the right direction and gives more initiative to learn guitar but right now i think i can do it myself without a teacher and will learning songs help with improvising and stuff too?

But that's just it, he ain't pointing you in the right direction

I'd really recommend starting at the beginning with the absolute basics just tosee what gaps there are in your knowledge. Chords is where he should have started because you're always going to be using them in one way or another. It may start with simple strumming of open chords which may seem a million miles away from what you want to play but it's all connected. Strumming basic chords leads onto arpeggiating them, muting them, damping them etc and learning chord construction allows you to alter the shapes and voicings, whether that's makiing them more complex or simply reducing them down to power chords. You also need to be able to recognise chords and their shapes when they appear in songs so you know the easiest place to put your fingers, they also give you your reference points both visually and aurally when it comes to moving around the neck and soloing. Chords are the framework of pretty much every song, even if they're not obvious they're there in some way, if you don't know how to recognise them it'll severely hamper your development as a player.

Basic scale theory goes hand in hand with chord construction so it's fair enough to teach the two together, but he shouldn't have gone anywhere near modes for at least a year.

So in short, go back to basics with your technique and do things the right way, building it from the ground up rather than trying to start somewhere near the middle. As far as scales go forget about modes because what you've been "taught" about them is most likely plain wrong - have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles because they'll explain stuff correctly. Really read them too, there's a lot of old-fashioned studying that goes along with those articles for you to be able to understand what they're about.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'll put in my vote for finding a new teacher if you're serious about playing. I think you may get frustrated and lay the instrument down for good if you don't. Remember it's a professional relationship, a service you pay for.
why the **** does everyone always post some words in red its so ****ing annyoing!
Page 1 of 2