I have a epiphone goth sg and a Marshall mg30dfx and my sound is horrible since im fairly new to this can ou guys point me in the right direction new guitar with better pups or a new amp, thanks.
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
the amp is the major issue regarding tone, look into getting a small tube combo
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
Is the guitar really that bad? Have you experimented with amp settings? Have you experimented with the dials and pickups on your guitar?

Well you might like a modeling amp like the Roland Cube or the Peavey Vypyr or Roland MicroCube. It would give the a variety of tones from your guitar and they are known for being good amps.

I actually haven't played an Epiphone Goth SG so I cant say how good or bad it is but if your tone is as bad as you say it is you might want to change the amp before your guitar...
Amp!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I went to the store and tried the line 6 spider i know no one likes them but it actually sounded good and i could change to like my favorite bands settings should i get it?
The marshall mg series is horrible so I would reccomend getting a better amp first.

EDIT: The Spider may seem like a good option right now, but as your playing advances you'll probably want to develop your own sound, rather than using bad imitations of other guitarists' tones. i would suggest getting a small tube amp, or a better modelling amp like the peavey vyper.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Last edited by andychalmers102 at Feb 23, 2009,
I went to the store and tried the line 6 spider i know no one likes them but it actually sounded good and i could change to like my favorite bands settings should i get it?

No

there's many other amps you can get for the same price that are a lot better
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
tube amps are just soo expensive whats a good one for someone thats been playing for 4 months or so i want something for metal like heavy metal im into metalcore death metal black metal any metal lol the heavier the better thanks
Quote by HarrySidhu
tube amps are just soo expensive whats a good one for someone thats been playing for 4 months or so i want something for metal like heavy metal im into metalcore death metal black metal any metal lol the heavier the better thanks

I'm not much of a metal fan myself but a good cheap tube amp is the Fender Champion 600 amp. It's only 5 watts so it's obviously not ideal if you're going to be gigging or playing in a band, but for bedroom practise it's perfectly fine.

And to be honest, if you've been playing for 4 months, you should be worrying more about developing technique, rather than getting a fantastic tone.

EDIT: Also have a look at the Epiphone Valve Standard, or the Vox AD15VT-XL
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

Quote by Jackolas
Last edited by andychalmers102 at Feb 23, 2009,
but when i play chords or scales and imrovise stuff it sounds like **** i have been playing for only 4 months but i know enough to know that the sound sounds like **** and its not my playing lol
Quote by HarrySidhu
but when i play chords or scales and imrovise stuff it sounds like **** i have been playing for only 4 months but i know enough to know that the sound sounds like **** and its not my playing lol

If it sounds that bad, and you've got the technique down right, then yes it is a good idea to upgrade your gear. But you can't expect to get really great tone from many amps in the low-low/mid price range.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton

Quote by Jackolas
anythings better than this tiny Marshall im willing to go to 1000 dollars what do you guys recommend
A grand will buy you any of a range of great amps. Even some classics if you go used. But you have to decide what you want it for at this stage. A used Twin Reverb is a great amp for your SG but its very LOUD for home practice unless you have a handy soundproofed barn. I expect some of the metal guys will have suggestions of combos around 30 to 50 watt valve type. Bear in mind that valve amps seem about twice as loud as similarly rated SS amps like your Marshall.

BTW I've heard some very good reports of the SG Goth so go with an amp first and if you've budget left over, consider changing the pups.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Peavery Vypyr Tube 60

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The Randall RX 120 is a solid state amp, really cheap and it sounds good, you should try it first.

Its really loud too. 0,5 in master volume is enoug for practicing.
Last edited by GisleAune at Feb 23, 2009,
$1000 on any gear after you've only been playing 4 months is an awful lot to spend, I'd let your playing evolve a bit further before blowing that much.

How about a multi FX pedal?
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
yeah but the way i see it i can spend good money now and that way i have more reason to play or i could wait and play with ****ty gear.
That to me is sound logic, a nice amp or guitar should encourage you to play, so if you're dead keen then do it. Just make sure you spend your money wisely, I have no recommendations for amps but there are guys on here who should be able to help
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
If you look around on ebay long enough you could find something like this for around a thousand, maybe a bit under. It will definitely do metal fine, as well as a load of other genres.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Bad amp - Good guitar = crap sound

Good amp - bad/decent guitar = OK/good sound
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
yep, fila_93 has it right. It also helps to know what your doing on your EQ. I've seen youtube videos where the amps are giving decent sound and they are playing on a Squier. I've seen other videos where they have an awful sound since they have the distortion blazing through what they are playing in a way that it just sounds dirty.

And yeah, if you have the money to spend on it you have a right to spend whatever you want. Most of us are just jealous you have the cash to spend on equipment so early on in your guitar life. Most of us had to wait until it consumed our soul (And then our wallet...).
Go for a new amp man, trust me. I had an MG100 and I literally got so sick of listening to it that I stopped playing electric altogether until I got my new amp. Tubes are the way to go dude, leave the modelling amps behind and start investing some cash in your equipment if you're serious about your playing.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
At your stage I really would go classic s/h on an amp. If you decide that guitar is not for you, a year or so down the line, a name amp will still be worth almost what you paid for it, so little loss.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

As you've been playing for such a short amount of time I would get one of the Peavey Vypyrs as it will give you loads of sounds to experiment with. I'd even consider going for no more than the 30w version and save the rest for a better guitar in the future on the grounds that by the time you need a bigger amp your tastes may have changed and something else may be available. If you really need a bigger amp, try the Vypyr 75w.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
So peavy vyper is what i should buy i guess, so like new pickups dont make a huge difference i suppose. maybe when i do get a guitar hows this one ibanez RGT6EXFX
heres the link guitar
If you really like EMG active pickups it's OK, though the trem is poor. You'd be better off looking at an Ibanez S470 and putting the money you save towards some good pickups of YOUR choice
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
ive heard them at the guitar store and i know this a bad reason most bands i like play them i know its a gay reason to get emg's but lol ill be honest but in the end the amp is what gives me my last sound so the pickups should come last right
If you like the sound of an EMG get an EMG. If you like the sound of SD go for them. As far as pickups you have "Dirt crap" pickups. Those are the ones you might want to be able to upgrade. But chances are if those are in your guitar, your better off getting a better guitar. Best thing you can do as a buyer is try out as many guitars as you can to find the one that sparkles in your eyes. (That's not to say the one that sparks in your eyes from bad wiring or something though....)