This is gonna sound weird, but there is a point to it.

I'm gonna get some sort of 7-string and tune it to drop G. I'm doing this simply because I can't afford an 8-string and I daren't tune a 7-string any lower than that.

The problem is, I really love the tone that an 8-string has on the lower register, great for breakdowns methinks. I know I'm gonna put EMGs in it but what do you guys think would sound most like an EMG 808 so I can really replicate that sound?

Btw, if you don't know the tone I mean, listen to the heavy riff at the beggining of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxZra_EScnk
You could spend £5000 on a ltd edition USA Fender.
But it'll still look like a £100 Squier strat.

Jackson - great looks, no matter the cost
But... But... That low G is lower than the A string on a bass... On a BASS man... I've never really understood this obsession with low tuning, anything below a B2 sounds like arse for chords, even power chords...
Quote by samlocke14
if you use a head and cab then invest in a bass cab for clarity in the low end

Don't you think that if he can't afford an 8-string he can't afford one of those either?
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
8 strings seems like a waste, especially if yr just playing the same ol' tired metal stuff. to each his own i guess.
Quote by FretboardToAsh
Don't you think that if he can't afford an 8-string he can't afford one of those either?

not at all. a simple, cheap bass cab will do. just a bloody idea
Last edited by samlocke14 at Feb 23, 2009,
Depends on the scale length, if you get a 7 string the scale length is likely to be 25.5" which is going to make the low G very muddy even with heavy strings.

8 strings really need to be up in the 28" scale length area to get clarity in the low strings.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You're going to need something with a longer scale.

Something 26.5" or longer and I would advise the use of either a DiMarzio Steve's Special or EMG 81 (w/18v mod).

You'd probably do well with one of ESP's 27" scale LTD baritones.

EDIT: The ESP Baritones are the same scale as the RG2228. All things being equal, you'll get the same string tension from the ESP as you would the ibby 8-string with 2 less strings to worry about.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Feb 23, 2009,
Here follows a short essay.

Well I've got my eye set on a cheap little Black Knight STD507, that has a 26.5" scale. That's only half an inch off an RG2228's 27". When you think about it, me and my rythm guitarist use different scales (I use 25.5" and he uses 24.75") but we both use the same string gauges for the same tuning and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. And those scale lengths are further apart than the Black Knight and the RG. I don't think scale's gonna be an issue.

And no, I can't afford a bass cab, but my Randall G3 is seriously bassy so I think it can handle it.

The thing is, I usually play in drop C on a six string. So if necessary, i just have to drop the 2nd string a step down and ignore the 1st string, and bingo, it's drop C. Pretty nifty if my other guitars mysteriously break.

All I really need to know is which one of these sounds more like an EMG 808?
a 707 or an 81-7

I might add, IMHO, scale length makes an exponential difference in feel. I couldn't believe the difference the first time I put my hands on a 27" guitar (And yes I could feel the difference from 27" to a 26.5" scale Schecter).

Not trying to be a jerk, buy you really might want to get your hands on one before making a hypothetical call
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Last edited by jm1681 at Feb 24, 2009,
^ I have to plus one on that, when you get into 7 and 8 string tuning you need that extra scale length to tighten up your sound, the strings you would have to use on a 25.5" to get the same effect as a 28" would be rediculous.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ Word.

The idea with extended range (AFAIK) is that you can achieve the same string tension with thinner strings and therefore reduce thick-string-induced mud.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
For the record....

8 strings add a low b and high b... I'm not really sure why you think that the 8 string is that much more "brutal" than the 7. A 7 will more than likely sound very similar. The main difference between a 7 and 8 is the longer scale length on the 8 string allowing you to de-tune lower and keep the same string tightness.

I would try a 7 tuned to G and see what you can get from that. I think you will be pleased.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Feb 24, 2009,
...for the actual record...

Conventional 4ths tuning in regards to an 8 string would be either to include a low F# or a high A string.

It is entirely possible to get down to those registers on a 7, but you would be best off looking into a longer scale 7 as Absent mind stated. The old RG7XL and the SC607B models are pretty solid and can be picked up as a good substitute.

It should also be manageable to recreate the tones with a 25.5/26.5 scale also, you would just have to use much heavier string gauges, i run an 80 normally at F#/F and its just about right, so you may need to shop around for strings above the 76 range really, as that is what i personally consider to be the minimum tension needed. It all does depend on your own preferences at the end of the day.

As for pickups, the EMG 808 is modelled from the EMG 85 as far as i remember. Which the 707's are shaped after also? The only bad point to EMG's would be the routing options, they are bigger than conventional pickups due to the bass housings used, Duncan Blackouts may be another option to consider if you dont fancy the routing hassle but still need the active tone. But there are plenty of passives to consider also.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
...for the actual record...

Conventional 4ths tuning in regards to an 8 string would be either to include a low F# or a high A string.

It is entirely possible to get down to those registers on a 7, but you would be best off looking into a longer scale 7 as Absent mind stated. The old RG7XL and the SC607B models are pretty solid and can be picked up as a good substitute.

It should also be manageable to recreate the tones with a 25.5/26.5 scale also, you would just have to use much heavier string gauges, i run an 80 normally at F#/F and its just about right, so you may need to shop around for strings above the 76 range really, as that is what i personally consider to be the minimum tension needed. It all does depend on your own preferences at the end of the day.

As for pickups, the EMG 808 is modelled from the EMG 85 as far as i remember. Which the 707's are shaped after also? The only bad point to EMG's would be the routing options, they are bigger than conventional pickups due to the bass housings used, Duncan Blackouts may be another option to consider if you dont fancy the routing hassle but still need the active tone. But there are plenty of passives to consider also.

LOL Thanks for helping me out there a bit :P
At least you got what i was trying to get at lol
So a 707 is the way to go then eh. Thank, guys. I'll get that done soonish.

I reckon a 26.5" scale will be fine. I like thicker strings anyway. You wouldn't need an 80 gauge I don't think, bout 70 would be fine apparently, but it depends how it feels.

This thread needs more string tension calculator...

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/StringTensionApplet.html
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Just checked the ESP website. Did you know their 8-string (the FM418) has a 25.5" scale? Chucks all the rules of string tension out the window.

Quote by samlocke14
if you use a head and cab then invest in a bass cab for clarity in the low end

No bass cab. Just get something like a Vader 2x15 cab. If you wanna play bass, get a bass, simple as that.

Also, read the fvckin post, he can't afford it. An 81-7 should also be good, cuz I hear that not many people like the 707.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
The 707 is really bassy and muddy imho

I really like the 81-7
True, but surely if I'm gonna tune down that low I'm gonna need a pickup with a lotta bass response right?

A cab would be nice, but I've only got £400 to spend on the whole thing so I think I'll stay with my combo for now.

Yeah, I've heard good things bout the 81-7, but (if I may be presumptious), the extreme high gain may nulify the clarity I want. Remember I' tuning to what is just a little bit above an 8-string, gonna need clarity. For the record it's probably worth stating that I'm not gonna try and play chords with this thing, it's more of a riff machine.

Actually, the low tuning itself adds its own bass response, and using less bass gives you a clearer, tighter sound. Try tuning down, crank the bass on your amp to 10 and try playing. then take it down to about 5 or 6 and try. Which one is clearer?

Plus, as a rule you need a bit more gain for lower tunings anyway to actually transmit the lower notes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Razormouth
Just checked the ESP website. Did you know their 8-string (the FM418) has a 25.5" scale? Chucks all the rules of string tension out the window.

no it doesn't. they made it that scale length for people who have beef against longer scales.

if you compare the tone of a 25.5 scale 8 stringer to a 27 scale stringer your see that the 27 has more clarity.

my seven string is a 24.75 inch scale and i have to use EB power slinky's to get some good tension, but it kinda makes my guitar sound a tiny bit muddy IMO.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Razormouth
...Yeah, I've heard good things bout the 81-7, but (if I may be presumptious), the extreme high gain may nulify the clarity I want...
If you're looking for clarity with not-so-much gain, I would really advise the DiMarzio Blaze II...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头