Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the Multiple wholes in some ovation guitars? Im interested in buying an ovation and i want to make the right decision
Their theory is a stronger top with more vibration and better tone, without the weakness that comes from cutting one big soundhole just above the bridge. On cheaply made guitars, sometimes the top will warp. The area just above the bridge near the soundhole starts to cave into the guitar. And, well, *flameshield up since their brand has a bad history of doing just that, that's a possible solution they invented. Ovation is a pretty inventive brand. They invent garbage ( kidding), but they really do come up with some unique ideas.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
They invent garbage ( kidding), but they really do come up with some unique ideas.

Many would agree with both statements, with kidding aside.

Thread starter, make sure you actually play an Ovation before you buy one. They do claim that the soundhole positions increase strength, but I seriously question the effectiveness and practicality of it. Acoustics in general are strong enough, and moving the soundhole away from the bridge wont help projection in the least bit. I get the impression that they did it because it looks different and adds more novelty to their guitars.

That said, if it suits you, by all means go for it.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Feb 23, 2009,
I can't speak to the physics of the design decision.

I will say that Ovations seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em type brand, and agree that you definitely need to try one out before you buy it.

I personally own an Ovation Elite deep bowl single-cutaway that I wouldn't trade for the world. I also wouldn't buy one of the thinlines- they sound too weak (acoustically) to me.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Like everyone else has said, try an Ovation before you buy. And don't just try an ovation. Compare it to other, traditional all-wood guitars as well
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Iv played my grandmas old ovation a bunch and oh my god i love it. Iv played one or two others and i really like them. Thanks for the help. But does moving the soundholes have any effect on the sound of the guitar?
Quote by FUT55
But does moving the soundholes have any effect on the sound of the guitar?

Yes, but whether that's a good thing or not is up to your personal preference.
I can't help but throw in a shameless plug for a product that enhances the playability of Ovation guitars. If the "round back" is a reason to pass one by over a traditional flat back, think again. I love my Ovation Legend now that it has been tamed and the playing comfort that it offers actually helps me to perform at my best.

Check it out on eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180312598916&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

or
http://www.greatscottmfg.com/

Happy shopping. Guitars are just so fun to buy!
Quote by Standing O
I can't help but throw in a shameless plug for a product that enhances the playability of Ovation guitars. If the "round back" is a reason to pass one by over a traditional flat back, think again. I love my Ovation Legend now that it has been tamed and the playing comfort that it offers actually helps me to perform at my best.

Check it out on eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180312598916&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I can't help but throw in a shameless personal opinion.

Ovations are ugly, hard to play, and sound terrible. Bolting an atrocious, molded-plastic support to the back doesn't remedy anything. Lord help us if those supports become popular.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Feb 24, 2009,
Ouch!

Your right......you opinion was quite shameless.

Perhaps take a chill pill and start listening to less angry music dude.
He's not the only one who thinks that.....

To be quite honest, I don't see what people like about Ovations. They sound horrendously lifeless and they look really weird. There's a reason that they've been making acoustics out of wood for so long: because that's what sounds best
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Standing O
Ouch!
Your right......you opinion was quite shameless.
Perhaps take a chill pill and start listening to less angry music dude.

Well always I do try my best to be un-shameless.

I wasn't trying to be a debbie-downer. I was only giving my honest opinion about Ovations and their "weirdness."
I feel dirty after playing an Ovation.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Natrone
He's not the only one who thinks that.....

To be quite honest, I don't see what people like about Ovations. They sound horrendously lifeless and they look really weird. There's a reason that they've been making acoustics out of wood for so long: because that's what sounds best

Ask Al Di Meola or Kaki King or many, many other pros. They seem to get a great deal of enjoyment AND excellent tone out of their Ovations.

Me? I like their sound, and despite my "pony keg" midsection, I have no problem playing my deep bowl.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I'm just not a fan of the tone. Personal preference, you know?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I'm just not a fan of the tone. Personal preference, you know?

Oh, I understand perfectly- they're obviously not for everyone. I know a lot of players who could afford one, but I'm the only one who actually owns one in my immediate circle of acquaintances.

Hey, I needa ask something about the ovations. The backs of this guitar feel sort of...plastic...don't they? Does anyone know what the back of these guitars are made of and if it effects the tone?
Umm... they are plastic. ahaha.
Equipment:

You need to know where an how you are playing. Ovation is pretty decent low cost solution for live gigs as the electronics are decent and the neck and intonation are easy to play.

If you plan on playing with no amplification, around campfires , busking or at the park, they really just sound OK. I loved my Ovation, but if I jammed with anyone that had a standard dreadnaught, I'd always get drowned out. If you sit while you play, the roundback can 'cause issues as well. I found, when I stopped playing live and was sitting more for jams, it would slide off my lap and drive me nuts.

For the same price as a new Ovation, I got a Taylor 310 on Kijiji, and you simply cannot compare the sound of a plastic guitar to one that is solid wood.

Of course, with my Ovation, I never had to worry about humidity. It's probably a pretty good choice if you want a really low maintenance guitar.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
^ Takamines come with very similar(if not the same) electronics. So for me, there's no way I could ever justify getting an Ovation for it's awesome plug in factor. They are definitely quite a bit more durable though. Although my high school English teacher had one where the top cracked quite severely even though he was humidifying it.
Equipment:

I think Takamine has some more intricate preamp/electronics systems. Oh, and they have the CTP-1: Cool Tube Preamp. Supposed to deliver some near-perfect amplified tone.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray