http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUddr0ziOQM

does any idea what effect it is that vai uses at 2:10,
it's basicaly a wah but he seems to be just taping his foot and has a spring, if anyone know, could they please let me know!

while im at it, at 3:25 he pushes down an effect, can somone tell me what kind of effect that is aswell?

thanks for your time.
Quote by mitchbabineau
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUddr0ziOQM

does any idea what effect it is that vai uses at 2:10,
it's basicaly a wah but he seems to be just taping his foot and has a spring, if anyone know, could they please let me know!

while im at it, at 3:25 he pushes down an effect, can somone tell me what kind of effect that is aswell?

thanks for your time.

While the video is still loading (cause my nets totally the best and fastest ever....), I think I know what you mean with the wah. He has a wah pedal with a spring loaded into it, so he pushes down, but doesn't have to pull it back up. Very cool huh? I'll watch the video just to be sure its what your talking about. And I'll look at the 3.25 effect.
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
As for the pedal that he pushes at 3:25. It sounds like hes just turning his wah off (during the divebomb). If its not that, I wouldn't worry about it too much, because his tone doesn't change dramatically from it.
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Does any one know any how-to vids to show me how to put a spring in my wah?
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Quote by RocknRollRay

It wouldnt be hard man. Just find the spring thats big enough and strong enough to push back (but not too strong, you still wanna turn the pedal on and off hahaah). The if you have a cry baby, lodge it in the top corner of the pedal so that its stuck and your done.

If you want to be super sure, you could fasten the spring down by drilling some holes and tying it down. OR, go buy Vai's signature spring wah.
Quote by WtrPlyr
That bassist looks annoying

hahahaha hes a freak! But a good playing freak all the same..
There are several wahs that have that function

I have a Ibanez Weeping Demon and it has two different modes, a normal mode and a spring mode like Vai uses

I believe a Morley Bad Horsie has a spring as well which is Vai's signature model if I remember correctly

Modding a normal wah will be incredibly hard because you'd have to adjust the height of the pedal itself
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
The morely wah, which is what vai uses, uses an optical sensor of sorts to detect how far the wah is pushed down. You can't mod a dunlop unless you plan on having some sort of bypass when the wah is all the way at the top.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by RocknRollRay

he is using a morley bad horsie 1 or 2. i dont think it is spring loaded, it stays in position but only activates when you put your foot on it so you can leave it in position and just bounce your foot on it to activate when you require
Thank you please.
Thank you all very much for your responses. Keep up the awsome work in these forums!!
they've greatly helped me.
He is using a Morley wah, Morleys pop back up when not stepped on, so he can just stomp on it in quick bursts to get the sound at 2:10

At 3:25 it's some kinda harmonizer, not sure what model tho.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
He is using a Morley wah, Morleys pop back up when not stepped on, so he can just stomp on it in quick bursts to get the sound at 2:10

At 3:25 it's some kinda harmonizer, not sure what model tho.

Its not a harmoniser, thats what the 3rd guitarist behind those keyboards is doing. (you see them both harmonising that riff together at another time in the video).

Because its not a huge change in his tone. I'm thinking it might be a compressor. A light boost being turned on or off. A light gain on his pedal being turned off/on.

Basically, nothing to worry about. Keep rockin