hey guys, i've been lurking around here for about 2 months now but this is my first post

i guess a brief introduction about myself... i just started playing guitar about 2 months ago. although i just started playing guitar, my music background is decent.

my dad wanted me to become a professional violin player when i was younger (must be an asian thing.. ), and got me a coach when i was 3 yrs old that i worked with 5 hours a week. i use to play alot of competitions when i was younger but i honestly hated the violin and only played it because my parents forced me to.

when i got to high school, i would travel to alot of places and play in different competitions and youth symphonies. i met alot of people and i realized that even though i had the technique when playing, i lacked passion for the instrument which made my sound lack feeling and made it sound bland. i decided when i was 19 that i did not want to play the violin anymore and quit for good. at this time i moved out of the house and went to college so there was really nothing my parents could do to stop me.

when i went to college, i quit playing music all together. i was very angry at my parents for a long time for forcing me to play and i felt like they robbed my childhood away from me. when i was younger, i could never go out to play or do anything that normal kids did because i was forced to practice 4-6 hours a day.

i recently graduated college and i'm working as a tech while preparing to go to vet school next year. that leads to present day... around november of last year i became really depressed and i couldn't figure out why. i just felt like something was missing in my life. i kept trying to figure out what it was and i just couldn't...and it drove me deeper into depression. i felt that my professional life was great but my personal life was miserable...something was missing.

around new years, i was downloading a compilation of songs to playing in the background at the party. a good friend of mine requested satriani songs so i downloaded his discography and popped them into my ipod.

out of curiosity i listened the surfing with the alien to see why my buddy was so obsessed about this guy. then i heard.."Always with me Always with you". this song was one of the most beautiful songs that i have ever heard....so well played, so precise, so dynamic, and with such emotion and feeling. the funny part is i stopped listening to instrumental music after i quit violin and was always resistant to anything instrumental.

regardless, when i heard that song, i realized what was missing in my life. music. i had been playing music every single day for almost 16 years and i just stopped cold turkey. i always felt something missing while in college but was either too drunk or high to realize what.

early jan, i drove home and picked up my brother's old takamine, his fender, and amp. of all the instruments i've played in the past, the guitar seems to have the least "resistance". when i started playing, everything felt natural. i don't know if its because a guitar is really just a big violin with frets or what..but it felt natural.

since that day, i've been practicing about 6-7 hours a day. i have to work during the day so i pretty much start playing when i come home until midnight during week days and i usually play all day on the weekends until my hands start hurting.

so...i don't know if this is bad or not, but i don't have a teacher. my older brother played guitar and i visited him and he showed me how to hold the guitar, hold the pick, and he showed me correct fingerstyle techniques. since then i've been learning by going to this site http://www.justinguitar.com/ and watching alot of his videos as well as alot of other videos on youtube. pretty much youtube has been my guitar teacher thus far ;p

i want to play both acoustic and electric (have both). i currently have a martin d-15 and a fender toronado. i've been playing mostly fingerstyle on acoustic and i've only played scales/finger excercises on the electric. eventually, i want to play mostly fingerstyle songs and covers on my acoustic (classic rock mostly) and i want to learn how to shred on electric (vai, satriani, and petrucci)

i just started got the fender setup a few days ago, so i don't really know any songs for the electric yet...but on acoustic i know how to play dust in the wind fingerstyle clean at 75 BPM, wonderful tonight fingerstyle clean at 85 BPM, and free fallin (mayer cover) fingerstyle.

i downloaded the PDF for steve vai's 10 hour and 30 hour workouts and i've been doing all those excerises for about a week now (seems to be working too, lol ).

PHEW. sorry about the wall of text and the life biography. so do you guys think i need to take lessons? how often if you think i do? i don't really make that much money currently working as a technician but if i really need lessons i'm willing to make the sacrifice. thanks for reading my wall of text
Your musical background will definately help you, im assuming your pretty decent at theory too, that will help later.
I cant stress enough how much quicker you will progress with a teacher, websitesd are good for picking up bits of info, but a teacherwill help you so much more. Before you go to a lesson make sure you ask the teacher as many questions as possible like what he teaches best what he could teach you etc. Have fun man and dont stop playing. if you get bored just learn some really fune asy songs you can bash out.
Also jamming with other people will help a lot.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
It sounds to me you don't really need lessons, a lot of the mechanics of guitar is somewhat similar to violin.

Just make sure you don't develop bad habits. If you're so proficient at violin, many of the same principles apply to guitar. Just practice a lot, and be careful not to over practice and burn yourself out. You might want to get a better shred guitar, if the Fender isn't really working out.

Yeah, I've been doing piano for 11+ years, must be an asian thing too...

Good luck man.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Before you go to a lesson make sure you ask the teacher as many questions as possible like what he teaches best what he could teach you etc. Have fun man and dont stop playing.
thanks for all the replies guys

charlie - i thought about what you said and i think i am going to find a teacher to go to once every two weeks for 30 minutes. i don't really need the teacher to "teach" me anything but rather just watch me play and make sure my technique is good. i've been playing through steve vai's 30 hour workout the last few days and i've been following pretty closely (i can't practice 10 hours a day because i have a full time job...but i try to do 6-7). i guess once i get my technique down and just need to work on speed i'll stop going to the lessons.

mike - ya, i know what you mean about the fender . i'm playing on my brother's old fender toronado right now. i really want to buy an ibanez but i just can't bring myself to spend the money on one right now if i can't even play well yet. (i just feel i'm not worthy enough to even hold one) i know i could buy a lower end ibanez and then upgrade later, but i dislike wasting money and i would like to buy a js1000 or something similar when i do eventually get one. i've set a goal for myself that when i can play 3 satriani songs up to speed and clean, i'll buy the js1000.
Quote by Zero_Mike
It sounds to me you don't really need lessons, a lot of the mechanics of guitar is somewhat similar to violin.

Just make sure you don't develop bad habits. If you're so proficient at violin, many of the same principles apply to guitar. Just practice a lot, and be careful not to over practice and burn yourself out. You might want to get a better shred guitar, if the Fender isn't really working out.
Yeah, I've been doing piano for 11+ years, must be an asian thing too...

Good luck man.

The Fender should be fine, look at Yngwie Malmsteen.

TS, only get lessons if you really want to. Considering you've played violin for so long, and probably know your theory considering the violin's a complex instrument, you should have no trouble teaching yourself.

I personally find it better to teach myself, but occasionally have a lesson once in a while just to see what I need to improve on. However, I suppose it varies with people, so I would advise you have a couple of lessons, and if you enjoy them, carry on with them. But if you feel they restrict you and you don't enjoy them, cancel the lessons and teach yourself.