Hi Guys,

So me and my band have finally taken steps to record our music, and the other day on our first set of recordings, we thought everything had gone well. However, when we played back the audio that had recorded on my friend's computer, there was a very audible noise that was present that was not present in the room in which we were actually playing and hearing the sound coming from the PA.

So, here's a breakdown of the whole situation:
-My friend is playing his acoustic into a mic wired into the PA.
-I'm playing my acoustic-electric wired straight into the PA.
-My other friend is singing/playing bass using the direct inputs on the PA.
-The line out from the PA is running to my friend's computer, probably 10-20 feet away in the other room.

The recording sounded good while it was being played, but the playback featured a noise that wasn't present. So my question is, what do you guys think the problem is? Is the cable running from the PA to the computer in question? What about the sound card on the actual computer? Is there something on the PA that's causing this disturbance?

Any input from some people who've successfully recorded in a similar environment would be MUCH appreciated.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
This is a stab in the dark, and may be completely unrelated to your problem...

I use a midi controller and Reason to play some stuff, and when I connected my interface ot my laptop, I used to get some white noise, kind of a static hissing and popping, this may have come through on recordings as well, I can't remember.

The problem was using a 3-pin power plug, with positive, negative and an earth, most modern appliances don't need an earth, and it was just making interference. I just used a double adapter, but removed the earthing wire from it, effectively cutting the earth out of the loop; instant fix.

Again, not sure if this is your problem, but it worked for me. If you can't hear the noise at all when you're playing live, this probably isn't it; regardless, it doesn't hurt anything to try it.
Quote by Wolffgang
most modern appliances don't need an earth

It's there for a reason.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Actually, It's called he ground, not earth. I don't know where your from but I'm from Earth, and it's called Ground.
Quote by timbit2006
Actually, It's called he ground, not earth. I don't know where your from but I'm from Earth, and it's called Ground.

True that.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)