hey people. im look for an audio interface that i could hook up through my usb port on my laptop.

id like to mainly record myself playing the acoustic guitar and maybe singing some vocals at the same time. so basically just me playing and singing as i normally would except id like to record it. and then id also do electric guitar and bass sometimes and maybe eventually mix everything together through a computer program. but main thing is acoustic and vocals. i have a shure sm57 for a mic.

since its pretty simple beginner stuff, i dont want to spend more than i need to but at the same time, i dont want to be disappointed and have complete **** quality with troubles and frustration. i dont have an actual limit on budget but like i said, dont want to spend more than i really need to without being disappointed.

also its a windows laptop for now.. might go back to ubuntu after windows 7 beta is over, incase it matters.
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 Session is quite nice and would fit to you.
Only ~199€ in europe.
any basic audio interface will work, then you can run it into audacity for a basic track.

The Shure sm57 is a great mic for electric guitar, but most people will say that a warm condenser mic works better for acoustics and vocals.
Look into the E-mu 0404 or the Presonus Inspire. Both will have two inputs for recording guitar and vocals at the same time although you may want to do them separately anyway. They also come bundled with software that wii suit you much better than audacity. Finally you may want to look into different mics for both vocals and the Acoustic. The SM 57 is generally more of a cab/vocal mic. Check out the MXL 990/991 if you want to spend more the RODE NT1 for vocals and a pair of AKG C1000s or Rode NT3's for acoustic.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Agree about the condenser mic - great for Vocals and accoustic instruments. The SM57 is a great hammer, but sometimes the budget preamps in those low cost interfaces are not powerful enough. The problem with condenser's is you need a very quiet room, as they can pick up EVERYTHING - sounds you don't normally hear come through "loud and clear" on a condenser.

Keep in mind (most) budget audio interfaces will have Phantom Power for a condenser. Both the NI Session and EMU 0404 (recommended above) have Phantom Power.
hows the fast track pro 4x4? i take it that its not very good since no one has recommended it... i just got it for less than half price and it also has that phantom power.

what are some good condenser mics? ive never heard or them and dont even know what they are...
I'm sure the FTP is fine, although I do not have any exprience with that Audio Interface. Presonus seems to have the best reputation for low/medium-end audio interfaces and they are known for good drivers. Oh, Echo makes some great interfaces as well. But all in all, you just need a good DAC that you can upgrade with a nice Pre-amp such as the FMR RNP in the future...if you start getting serious about recording.

As far as a good condenser mic...If you are looking for a decent and cheap all purpose LDC, you may want to consider a Studio Projects B1 (they cost roughly 100 bucks.)
Quote by theWallofYAWN
hows the fast track pro 4x4? i take it that its not very good since no one has recommended it... i just got it for less than half price and it also has that phantom power.

what are some good condenser mics? ive never heard or them and dont even know what they are...

What kind of budget do you have for the mics?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
i guess i have a really loose budget unless i try to limit myself. so id like to just get something for beginner-intermediate recording. cheap enough that i dont pay for stuff i dont need and DONT end up disappointed or frustrated with its use.

i was looking at that SP B1
Try the behringer UCG102 I like mine

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

Its not SUPER amazing, but for 60 bucks it works

Edit: Check my profile for my legato technique, all I did was record straight from my taylors pickup into the Audacity freeware add bass boost at the default adjust level and export to MP3 really

Please use tags for tabs....
Last edited by Camdon at Feb 24, 2009,