i always hear about how awesome Bare Knuckles are and i was wondering what made them so good? what makes them better than other brands like dimarzio or SD?
also, what would be an American equivalent? not that i'm xenophobic or anything. i'm just curious
The USA equivalent to BKP is probably WCR pickups. Big reason being that Jim Wagner (the man behind WCR) is into heavier rock and winds both vintage style pickups and variations as well as more modern, high output styles. Most handwound pickups are pretty much just PAF clones these days.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 23, 2009,
Bare Knuckle Pickups are hand wound in the UK, this means that the person making them is not only an expert but he'll also pay special attention to the tension of the wire as he winds, where it goes around the coil, and how many times it winds. Since it's done by hand each winding will be slightly different for each pick-up, the exact location of the wire will be slightly different, a natural scattered wound, the exact number of windings will be slightly different (only a machine can wind exactly 3k times), this means that each pickup will be slightly different to other pickups in the same line- this makes the sound more interesting, it's like having original PAF's, except these are made knowing all the advances in pickup technology that have been made since the 1950's and with specs for different types of sound. Machine made pickups, like those made by DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan are good, but they won't have the same 'character' in a sense Bare Knuckle are 'better' not just because they have great sound, they also have a distinct 'personality'. If you want something similar in the US you'd have to find someone that hand-crafts custom-made pick ups (the guys at Bare Knuckles are willing to discuss with customers their specific needs).
Last edited by Magiorey at Feb 23, 2009,
there are a ton of USA equivalents... wcr as andrew said, wolfetone, stephens design, WB, BG, skatterbrane (something like that), etc. etc. etc. I haven't tried any of them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sethp
i always hear about how awesome Bare Knuckles are and i was wondering what made them so good? what makes them better than other brands like dimarzio or SD?
also, what would be an American equivalent? not that i'm xenophobic or anything. i'm just curious

My suggestion is that you call up or email some of the manufacturers listed here and tell them what you're looking for tone-wise. Most of them will be pretty honest as to whether or not they can meet your needs. I have a set of HighOrder humbuckers in my personal guitar and love them. I told the builder what I wanted and he delivered. But it's going to come down to what you want out of your pickups. There are plenty of builders out there my friend. Type in hand wound pickups on google and you'll have a couple of hand fulls of names thrown at you.
high order as well, i forget them. they're meant to be really nice too, and pretty good value. haven't tried them either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been dying to try out High Order 7.5k-8.5k A3 asymmetric wind set.
take one for the team!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i've never heard of WCR pickups, what are theirs like?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
WCRs are really popular amongst the boutique crowd. They're another brand of custom, handwound pickups made by a guy named Jim Wagner out in California, great guy. He's a little different from the rest of the boutique winders though, what most people do is take an authentic PAF, dissect it, and recreate it using the same or similar parts, instead he has his own way of doing everything, his own winding patterns, magnet buffering, his own special concoction that he uses to pot his pickups. They sound quite amazing though, and he really has a set for everyone, from people who want classic PAF tones to people who are into high output metal humbuckers. His signatures though are the Fillmore set and Godwood set. He has been getting a lot of good press over the last few years*, guitarists from Buckcherry, Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth, Brad Whitford and Joe Bonamassa all use his pickups..

*its kind of funny considering there was a real bit of backlash a 5-6 years back when he was first getting started in the business.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 24, 2009,
what does he have that are good for darker toned metal yet versatile (think Dokken)
Ibanez AEL 12-string

You can always email Jim Wagner and ask him yourself, he answers his emails very promptly, I imagine he'd probably recommend his Fillmore set for that. He has sound clips all over his website.

Based on what I know about his pickups...

Crossroads - you're usual PAF
Darkburst - overwound PAF
Fillmore - kind of like a hot rodded PAF, it's not fair to say it's like a PAF because it isn't voiced like one at all, really just think Duane Allman's tone on "Live at Fillmore East"
Godwood - very overwound PAF, real fat tone, kind of like the modern day, high output PAF
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 24, 2009,
Here's a great reference guide for multiple pups. what's great about it that the guy's playing the same thing over the same backing track so you get a very accurate representation:

pup guide
Last edited by magdream at Feb 25, 2009,
dokken is darker-toned? o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
dokken is darker-toned? o_O

oh, no, what i meant was i wanted darker tones for metal (XXX is voiced brighter), and for it to have the ability to pull off other things as well

sorry for the misunderstanding
Ibanez AEL 12-string

ah, ok, sorry
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?