I'm looking for a guitar that is really good for insturmental work (and a little ska). I've played the RG350 at my local sam ash once or twice a while ago and don't really remember what I thought of it. I just want to get an idea of both of them. thanks
My Gear:

Crate Electra (strat copy)
Tradition: S20 Metalic White (Les Paul Copy)
Fender Frontman 65R
Dunlop Cry Baby Orignal Wah
I like the S47 more personally, but its like 250$ more. If you can make that stretch then go for it
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
are the pickups on the S470 better than the RG350?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
I just like it better. I think i played one before, kinda forget, but it looks dead sexy and the neck was very comfortable from what i remember. Sounded good.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
yeah. neither sam ash or gutar center have the S470 in so I haven't been able to play it but it does look sexy as hell
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
S series guitars are ridiculously comfortable to play.
Check out my band Disturbed
they look like they would be
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Go for the S series,it's the better instrument in nearly every respect.With the S series you get a very comfortable body and you don't have to worry about the nightmare that is the edge III bridge.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Space Captain
are the pickups on the S470 better than the RG350?

I believe they are the same.

But either way, both pickup sets are rather dire. Get them swapped for something good!

Quote by Pr0gNut
Go for the S series,it's the better instrument in nearly every respect.With the S series you get a very comfortable body and you don't have to worry about the nightmare that is the edge III bridge.

+1

The Edge III trem is rather poor due to the fact it is made of weak alloys so the knife edges wear away. This means your tuning stability goes out the window when your knife edges are gone.

Of course you can prevent this from treating it with loads of care but then, a trem is made for going sick on!
what kind of pickups should I put in it if I do get it DiMarzios?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Quote by Pr0gNut

+1. the trem is the deal-breaker here, you can either have a guitar with a decidedly iffy trem which is likely to crap out within a matter of months up to maybe a year or two, or you can get a guitar with a pretty nice trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The S is a no brainer here. The only pro to the RG is the extra 2 frets but you can work around it. Pickups in both guitars are pretty meh, so you might want to consider swapping later down the line.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
The RG350 is really nice but the Edge III is a concern. Other than losing out on 2 frets the S470 is simply better in every respect. The S470 is a fantastic guitar for the money.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
What pickups do you all think would be a good swap?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Quote by Space Captain
What pickups do you all think would be a good swap?

Are you still using that 65 watt solid state amp? If so,I would hold off on the pup swap and go for a new amp first.With your current amp you wont notice much of a difference in sound if you change out the pups,you'd be spending a good chunk of change for a tiny improvement in sound.I'd be happy to recommend pups for you to look at once you get a new amp though.What styles do you play and what sound are you looking for?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Are you still using that 65 watt solid state amp? If so,I would hold off on the pup swap and go for a new amp first.With your current amp you wont notice much of a difference in sound if you change out the pups,you'd be spending a good chunk of change for a tiny improvement in sound.I'd be happy to recommend pups for you to look at once you get a new amp though.What styles do you play and what sound are you looking for?

yeah I'm still using the 65 watt. and thanks, what amp would you recommend? I do a lot of alternitive and instrumental, some ska, progessive, classic rock, I dab a little into metal, and thats about it.
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Last edited by Space Captain at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Space Captain
yeah I'm still using the 65 watt. and thanks, what amp would you recommend? I do a lot of alternitive and instrumental, some ska, progessive, classic rock, I dab a little into metal, and thats about it.

So you'd need a "jack of all trades" type amp eh? Well,how much are you looking to spend and what features do you want in the amp?

I'm looking for one that's pretty straight forward like fender's amps, I've gotta have reverb
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Quote by Space Captain
I'm looking for one that's pretty straight forward like fender's amps, I've gotta have reverb

I'd recommend looking into a used Peavey JSX 212 combo.I recommend this amp a lot,but that's because I've played and gigged on it extensively and I know what it's capable of.You get 3 channels (clean,crunch,and ultra) each with their own EQ and volume controls.It has built in reverb and noise gate as well as presence and resonance controls.The clean channel is very pure and articulate and can do anything from instrumentals to tube break up blues licks.The crunch channel is great for classic rock and gritty blues,but if you push the gain it can do early metal really well too.The ultra channel is a more modern distortion channel and I've used it for hard rock all the way to progressive death metal by putting a booster pedal in front of it.It has line outs,a nice effects loop,a half power switch and a switch to change it's power handling between 4,8,and 16 ohms.It weighs a lot,about 90 pounds I think,but it's pretty much bullet proof.You can find them on the used market for anywhere from 750-1100,with the average I've seen being about 900 USD.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 23, 2009,
I've never seen it I'll look for it next time I go to sam ash or guitar center. Are there any good amps you can recommend that are a little cheaper?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Bugera makes pretty nice budget tube combos,they might be worth looking into.There's also Fender amps like the hot rod series and so on.If you want a really cheap tube amp there's models from blackheart and the Fender Super champ XD.The Super Champ is actually a really nice lower wattage tube amp,it's 15 watts,but its got plenty of volume.It has a bunch of amp models and effects built in.I got one for practice but ended up replacing the speaker and tubes immediately and running an EQ pedal in front of it since it turned out to be very nice for the money.

sweet I'll look it to all of them. is the 100watt fender frontman any good or should I just look for a good tube amp?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
Last edited by Space Captain at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Space Captain
sweet I'll look it to all of them. is the 100watt fender frontman any good or should I just look for a good tube amp?

Go for a tube amp, the Fender Frontman series tend to be pretty... dire. The smaller ones are fine for practice but any bigger is a bit of a lost cause!

Check out what Pr0gNut recommended along with Peavey Classic amps with an OD, Laney VC series and used Marshall JCM combos.
ok thanks what about fender's Band-Master half stack?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
is the Band-Master 2x12 stack any good?
My Gear:

Fender Frontman 65R
No idea.It's a relatively new amp so there isn't much info on it as far as sound and quality go.The HS would be 1000 USD when totaled up,which is a good chunk of change.I'd honestly go look on the used market since $1000 can get you some really nice amps,better than the Band-master most likely.