People like spreadin' the flak. Flak you. Flak me. Flak your mom...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
a lot of people think it lacks emotion or that it's boring. some shredders like malmsteen are aparently excessively arrogant.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.

How can anyone give this flak? It just sits there, in the corner of the office minding it's own business, and then when called upon, does a fine job.
Quote by wizards?
Because every shredder that I've come across in my life has been a pretentious whiny asshole that gives me crap because I can't play the pentetonics as fast as he can.

Can't have come across many proper shredders then.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by wizards?
Because every shredder that I've come across in my life has been a pretentious whiny asshole that gives me crap because I can't play the pentetonics as fast as he can.

Most shredders tend to avoid the pentatonics...

Because he dines on turtle soup.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
because twiddly guitar noises are annoying. This is compounded by the fact that a lot of shredders seem to think that they are the only people worthy of playing guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by bnull24
Most shredders tend to avoid the pentatonics...

Shawn Lane and Paul Gilbert use (or used) pentatonic scales sometimes, moreso than other shredders I would say
My Gear:

Ibanez RG1570
- Dimarzio Air Norton and D-Sonic
Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition
Peavey Valveking
Roland Cube 60
Digitech Bad Monkey OD
Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
Quote by wizards?
haha

I believe that's /thread.

Seconded. Jelly has achieved transcendence of win.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Hamburglekins
Shawn Lane and Paul Gilbert use (or used) pentatonic scales sometimes, moreso than other shredders I would say

That's why I said most and tend. Hell, even Malmsteen (mr. harmonic minor/phrygian dominant, himself) uses the pentatonics sometimes. In general, they go for full diatonic or exotic scales though.
Last edited by bnull24 at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by ifeastonbums
a lot of people think it lacks emotion or that it's boring. some shredders like malmsteen are aparently excessively arrogant.

Shredders typically stay away from anything overtly emotional, and just because they aren't crying about their dead dog 24/7, doesn't mean that they don't convey emotion - All music conveys emotion, it's just that if the riff you're listening to is cacophonous, aggressive and shredded like a bowl of over shredded shreddies then most people are just going to say ''It's noise'', and that simply comes down to ignorance.

Other than that, I s'pose shredders get ''flak'' 'cus whether they're very good or very bad, stereotypically they're arrogant - But whether they are or not is simply down to the individual shredder.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Last edited by decayingdave at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by bnull24
That's why I said most and tend. Hell, even Malmsteen (mr. harmonic minor/phrygian dominant, himself) uses the pentatonics sometimes. In general, they go for full diatonic or exotic scales though.

ahhh.... Diatonic scales
This thread is amazing.

Shredders have great command of the guitar.

Unfortunately, the songs frequently sound cheesy as shit. I hate listening to the music they play, but I like watching them play in videos and such.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by ifeastonbums

Both of the examples you gave are why John Petrucci is the best shredder... He Has emotion, isn't boring, and is one of the most down-to-earth guys in his genre
My Gear:

Ibanez RG1570
- Dimarzio Air Norton and D-Sonic
Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition
Peavey Valveking
Roland Cube 60
Digitech Bad Monkey OD
Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
Quote by Hamburglekins
Both of the examples you gave are why John Petrucci is the best shredder... He Has emotion, isn't boring, and is one of the most down-to-earth guys in his genre

Petrucci does come across as sound, but I still think he has a room full of mirrors in his house where he goes to dance and repeatedly chant 'I LOVE ME! I LOVE ME!'
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Ones that I've met who are bedroom players are all really arrogant and believe that guitar playing should only be really fast and if it's not fast then it's rubbish. But anyone with half a brain knows that doesn't represent them all.
^^ lmao
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

I gave up on shredding once I realized that I was looking at the guitar as more of a sport that a source of musical expression. Guitar is not a sport!
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele