I used to play for a few years in the early 90's and after not playing for around 15 years wish to start again but would like a nice guitar.

I am thinking of an Ibanez JS100 or Jem555. I very much like Satriani and Vai but I want a good guitar that stays in tune as much as possible!

My budget is around £500'ish for the guitar (can stretch a bit more if need be).

For the amp I was looking at the Peavey Bandit 112 at £200'ish so any advice on an amp to around £200-300.

Strictly for home use and the odd party. Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Scotty999
Last edited by Scotty999 at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Don't buy a 555, because:

-you're paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar

-the only things that sets this apart from a regular Korean RG are the pickups and a few cosmetic touches.

-it's called JEM JR. for a reason.

-you're paying hundreds just for the Steve Vai name on your guitar.

-it's one of the most overpriced signatures I can think off.

-the value for money is terrbile.

-if you want to do crazy whammy stuff with it, be prepared to add 150-200 dollars to the pricetag for a new trem.

-you can get something like an RG1570 for roughly the same amount of money and that guitar already has a better trem (plus a better neck, better quality control and better materials).

The JEM555 is one of the worst deals Ibanez currently has to offer; I know the regular JEMs aren't cheap either, but at least they're good guitars with quality parts.

By taking a bog standard Korean RG and slapping on half of the vine inlay, a fancy scratchplate, a few cosmetic touches like a 'Steve Vai' inlay at the 24th fret and some new pickups they've created a guitar which is equal in quality, but about three times the price, of the regular production model this started out as.

I'd suggest getting a Japanese Ibanez (be it used or new) and customizing it to your needs.

The JS100 isn't a very good deal, either.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 23, 2009,
do you play any other styles of music except shred type stuff?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Thanks for the replies guys.

TimBFMV: No I do not play much else at the moment. I'm way out of practice too
I know this is way under your budget but no-one got rich by wasting money.
Link

Any user of this brand will tell you they are way above their asking price. The wammy is the same as on mine and its fine. The pups are pretty good or get it fitted with Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios and you are still way under budget.

So having saved you a bunch on the guitar I might as well do the same with a nice little tube amp
Link
18w valve is ideal for the sort of work/practice you mentioned.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Don't buy signature guitars, you'll propably, your favorite artist/artists will propably be some one in a year, so why bother buying signature guitars?

- I recommend Used or new Ibanez Prestige RG/S/SV or any other Ibanez Prestige in your price range

- Used or new (If you're good at haggling) Jackson Sl3/SLS3/SLSMG

- Schecter BlackJack ATX/FR

- Schecter Hellraiser/FR

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Ltd 400/1000 series

There are tons of more guitars look for some intersting guitar that looks good to you on the Internet and go to your local music store and see what they have to offer and try some guitars out.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Feb 23, 2009,
Try to find a used prestige series if you like ibanez like I do , May I suggest the RG1570? The peavey bandit should be a good practice amp also look into the roland microcube they get alot of love on here.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Thanks guys, so now my favourites are the Jackson SL3 and the Roland Cube 30X.

Is this amp loud as it looks a little small? Built in guitar tuner??

The SL3 features a double-locking tremolo. Is this much better than the other types? Stays in tune better and always returns to a set position?

Any further suggestions would be helpful as I would like a good choice.

Thanks.
Quote by Scotty999
Thanks guys, so now my favourites are the Jackson SL3 and the Roland Cube 30X.

Is this amp loud as it looks a little small? Built in guitar tuner??

The SL3 features a double-locking tremolo. Is this much better than the other types? Stays in tune better and always returns to a set position?

Any further suggestions would be helpful as I would like a good choice.

Thanks.

The Roland Cube 30x is absolutely loud enough for home practise if you ask me, since I've got one, I usually practise at low volumes with the volume turned up to about 2.5-3, but it gets loud alredy at 4-5. And it sounds really good for a modeller in my opinion.

I've been thinking about getting the SL3 or the SLS3 myself, the tremolo isn't an original Floyd Rose, but it doesn't say anything about being licensed either so I don't really know what it is maybe it's just a different "version" of the originial.

Does anybody on UG know about the Floyd Rose FRT-02000 tremolo, what's your opinion of it? Is it like a Originial Floyd Rose?
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Feb 24, 2009,
Okay, the SL3 is actually over budget for me so I'm seriously thinking of:

Jackson DK2M and the Roland Cube 30X

Is the DK2M a good piece of kit?

Thanks.
Yes, it has a very good quality trem, looks too awesome to exist and is very good quality.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
DK2M is unreal, well atleast mine is, very well made and sounds divine.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Scotty999
Okay, the SL3 is actually over budget for me so I'm seriously thinking of:

Jackson DK2M and the Roland Cube 30X

Is the DK2M a good piece of kit?

Thanks.

I've played the DK2M with a red finish, I didn't really like the neck though, it felt too flat for me, I prefer the KE3 neck it's a bit more "roundish", but every person likes different guitar necks , I personally can't stand Ibanez Wizard necks for example, my thumb always feels tense when I'm playing a Wizard neck

For 600 $ the Jackson is really worth it's price, it's got good Duncan pickups, a decent tremolo, better than the Ibanez Edge III IMO.

I still recommend trying for guitars in your price range though, try some Ibanez hardtails, Schecters, Ltd's, everything you can find simply put.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Does anyone know the differance between the Pro series DK2M and the DK2M? I've seen some advertised as pro series and some not.

Scotty.
Quote by Scotty999
Does anyone know the differance between the Pro series DK2M and the DK2M? I've seen some advertised as pro series and some not.

Scotty.

DK2M is part of the Pro series; some retailers mention it in their description and some don't
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I thought theyr all pro series lol, mines pro and it's awesome, stands up to a gibson LP studio ranged guitar easily. so there's half of it for you.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Thanks for all your advice and help - MUCH APPRECIATED!

Just bought a mint 2nd hand DK2M and Roland Cube 15X.

Thanks again!
How much did it cost you? Congratulations with your purchase too!
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Hi Tweeb,

£285 for the DK2M (Eerie Des Swirl) and if I'd gone into a shop to buy this new I'd have been well pleased as it's perfect as new condition and only 3 months old.

£35 for the Roland Cube 15X (again looks absolutely brand spanking new). Had no idea it could be so loud!

Well happy.

Scotty.
That's kickin rad! If I'd live in a bigger country, I'd go used too, but everyone in Finland sells either, cheap used Ibanez starter packs or expensive Gibsons and Fenders, So I'll propably have to buy a brand new instrument when I've got a enough money for a new guitar.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I think I can help you here I own a Jem555, a couple of things to be aware here, firstly the factory set-up of the jem555 i found was poor to say the least, an excessive dip in the neck the springs actually got replaced eventualy because of some noise they were making and made using the vibrato quite dificult, the jem555 is fitted with an edge 3, was a pro edge 2 before they decide to stop puting in edge 2's, Unfortunately edge3 ain't as great as 2's. The pick-ups in the jem555 have high and low outputs, the neck a very low punchy sound and the bridge has a very high gain crisp tone, the tone knob offers a wide range of tones too!!

Jem555= shred

If I were in your scenario and based on my position now owning a jem555 I would Either buy an old jem555 with a edge 2 pro and at least the set-up and action will be good. I dont know much about the Js100.

The tuning system for the Jem555 is Okay not fantastic, but will stay in tune for sometime, and will not go out of tune after a few severe divebombs.

For me jem555. If you go for the jem555 be sure to check it is fitted with a edge 2 (Only on the older jem555's), oh and second hand because then at least you'l know It wont have any problems with it.

#1- Jem555
#2- JS100

My personal oppinion.
Last edited by LJHarris at Mar 6, 2009,