I've been playing acoustic guitar for around 13 years now (heavily influenced by DMB) and I'm interested in picking up electric guitar. Can someone suggest some good sites or resources to help me get going (my main concern is solos)? I plan on picking up a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack with Digital Effects (I currently have a Peavy Bandit). And currently have an electric guitar, but may pickup a new one. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Last edited by pern009 at Feb 23, 2009,
Marshall MG series have a bad reputation around here. Plenty nice valve amps around.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

^what he said. Most people on here hate on the MG series and also Line6 spiders.

And you don't need a halfstack, really
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I should mention that I started playing in a band, hence the need to switch it up a bit and pickup electric. So I will need a decent amp, any suggestions then on a good amp? I'm somewhat sold on finding a Marshall amp.
Quote by pern009
I should mention that I started playing in a band, hence the need to switch it up a bit and pickup electric. So I will need a decent amp, any suggestions then on a good amp? I'm somewhat sold on finding a Marshall amp.

Well what genre do you play? And why are you so keen on buying a Marshall? (not hating)
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
If you want to go Marshall that's fine, but don't waste your money on the MG series, just suck it up and drop the money for the better tube amps they offer.

But let me ask, why are you so certain you want a Marshall? You say you've been playing acoustic for 13 years so am I right in saying you have little-to-no experience with amplifiers? Don't just pick Marshall right out of the gate because they're the most common brand associated with rock, there are plenty of great manufacturers out there. Go to a guitar shop and play through a few different brands and make your decision after you've combed through enough to know which sound you want.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Mike1109
If you want to go Marshall that's fine, but don't waste your money on the MG series, just suck it up and drop the money for the better tube amps they offer.

But let me ask, why are you so certain you want a Marshall? You say you've been playing acoustic for 13 years so am I right in saying you have little-to-no experience with amplifiers? Don't just pick Marshall right out of the gate because they're the most common brand associated with rock, there are plenty of great manufacturers out there. Go to a guitar shop and play through a few different brands and make your decision after you've combed through enough to know which sound you want.

I've fiddled with my peavy amp for the past 10 years I've had it and it's pretty crappy. I've only heard good things about marshall and that's the reason I'm geared toward that brand. But I am open for whatever sounds good, I'll have to check out some amps. My budget for a new amp is around $600. So the tubes in the MG series just aren't that great huh?
The MG is a solid state amp, it has no tubes

Seriously, nowadays Marshall is just a name, and unfortunately they make some crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A good 30-50 tube amp will still be louder than a 100 watt Mg if it's loudness you're looking for.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by tweeb
A good 30-50 tube amp will still be louder than a 100 watt Mg if it's loudness you're looking.

misunderstanding here, but it'll defo sound better on the higher volumes (and tube sound is apparently easier to register for us)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Believe me, the Peavey Bandit itself is far better than that Marshall MG half stack. What all genres to do really play? The only reason you should consider a stack at all is if you prefer the tighter low end response they offer over an open-back combo, but that's something usually more desirable in harder genres.

You'll get used to people complaining about the MG series Marshall's around here, but basically, the general consensus is that they're very mediocre amps for a premium price tag. The tube amps Marshall offer are great, but their low end stuff is junk.

For the price of that MG half stack, you can look into a used JCM 900 combo (you might find an 800 for that price if you're lucky), which will be much, much better. You could also check out some other amps, such as a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or Peavey Classic 30 or 50.

Are you going to be gigging with the amp?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Believe me, the Peavey Bandit itself is far better than that Marshall MG half stack. What all genres to do really play? The only reason you should consider a stack at all is if you prefer the tighter low end response they offer over an open-back combo, but that's something usually more desirable in harder genres.

You'll get used to people complaining about the MG series Marshall's around here, but basically, the general consensus is that they're very mediocre amps for a premium price tag. The tube amps Marshall offer are great, but their low end stuff is junk.

For the price of that MG half stack, you can look into a used JCM 900 combo (you might find an 800 for that price if you're lucky), which will be much, much better. You could also check out some other amps, such as a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or Peavey Classic 30 or 50.

Are you going to be gigging with the amp?

I'll be playing rock/classic rock/alternative and yes this amp will need to be a gig amp also.
Then the 900 will be perfect for you. A combo will be plenty loud enough (the volume difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is barely noticeable), but if you want the half stack sound, a JCM 900 head and matching 4x12 cab can be had used for about a $1,000. Check around on craigslist or ebay, there's usually good deals floating around on 900's.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Then the 900 will be perfect for you. A combo will be plenty loud enough (the volume difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is barely noticeable), but if you want the half stack sound, a JCM 900 head and matching 4x12 cab can be had used for about a $1,000. Check around on craigslist or ebay, there's usually good deals floating around on 900's.

I'll check out this amp. I'm assuming it will be a noticeable difference from the Peavy Bandit I have.
Quote by pern009
I'll check out this amp. I'm assuming it will be a noticeable difference from the Peavy Bandit I have.
Yup.

And don't be afraid to turn it up a little bit when you try one, valves sound nice when they're pushed.
I guess problem is I'm on a budget of maybe $600 or so. I really could use a new electric guitar, I currently have one my father made. And it's not bad but it may be a better idea to hang on to the peavy amp I have for now and upgrade the electric guitar first? Any recommendations? I know nothing about electric guitars.
upgrade the amp first A crappy guitar can still sound good through a decent amp, but A great guitar will still sound like **** through a bad amp
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on