Poll: What do you play and enjoy the most?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you play and enjoy the most?
Metal
46 30%
Rock
42 28%
Punk
9 6%
Pop
0 0%
Blues
9 6%
Jazz
11 7%
Country
0 0%
Ska
7 5%
Funk
10 7%
Other
17 11%
Voters: 151.
Page 1 of 2
So what genres do the bassists out there play and enjoy the most?

I realise you play more than one but what do you play the most? Don't just answer the poll, post aswell as I was a bit generic with the poll options because I only had 10. List bands if you want to also.Expand your answers, if you say rock, what type of rock and why?
Last edited by TonalPerfection at Feb 23, 2009,
I've not got my bass yet, but im borrowing a friends.
I play alot of stuff with our churches Praise band,
I personally play alot of rock, metal, and metalcore.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Rock all the way. A little jazz, but i prefer rock more.

Edit: Anything with a walking bass-line is freaking awesome too
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Last edited by DeadlyKombat at Feb 23, 2009,
I've played my friend's bass before and I figured out a Weezer song (Hashpipe I think) and the intro to Barracuda form Heart. I don't own a bass though and I don't have too much experience with one.
I have different basses for different styles.
The Peavy is my main I guess, as I use it for the band.
It has really high guage strings, so I can't possibly tune it to standard.
My Ibanez is the one I practise on more at home, and the one I record with.

And the upright is used for all sorts.
Progressive metal/rock and various other forms of metal too, With some classic rock every now and then.
Rock music is probably the most common for me. Admittedly it's not the most fun genre in terms of "generic" basslines, but I've never been one for generic basslines anyway. I think i like playing rock music because I listen to it alot, understand how it works and therefore can compose more complex, more fun and generally better sounding bass parts.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I play everything I can get my hands on. I'm trying to broaden my tastes and skills as much as I can. But most of the time I just play rock and metal, some soft stuff too if that takes my fancy.
primus. 'tis a genre
otherwise alternative, symphonic+power metal, some power pop or whatever all american rejects are
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
primus. 'tis a genre
otherwise alternative, symphonic+power metal, some power pop or whatever all american rejects are

agreed they are awesome
I play...

...Music
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I play predominately Jazz and Blues in the two groups I'm in. But honestly, I love playing funk and R & B the most, with some alternative / new wave / punk thrown in for good measure.

Actually--with the exception of new country, bluegrass and bad pop music, I pretty much find all music enjoyable to play.
Quote by Paranoid777
It's boring if you play bass for metal. At least for me. Unless you play stuff like Symphony X or Dream Theater. Jazz is the best!

One of the reasons I like to play metal is because of the degree of difficulty. I don't find it really boring! I am kept quite occupied...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
My favorite genre of music is definitely metal, but its likely because i now play bass that i'm ever interested in jazz all that much.

So, yeh, jazz ... but just in the sense of the usual styles used by players of this kind of music cause i dont think i've ever really learned a song made by a jazz band. It's just really fun for almost no reason to me.

However, if I could play just about 20 bpm faster than I can right at this moment (working on it) accurately then it would totally be metal.

Here i come Obscura! ^^
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Feb 23, 2009,
I cant really think what I play the most, well I play modern/punk rock with my band, but that really isnt what I prefer playing

Quote by Deliriumbassist
What we play most? I only really play my band's stuff now, so a blend of rock, indie, funk and blues.

do you have myspace?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by ScottB.

do you have myspace?

Yeah, but the demos are sh*t quality. Especially for the bass. Our guitarist does the mixing, and because he's a big electronic music guy, he owns huge subwoofers, so what he perceives as being normal bass volume on them is practically nothing on the speakers of us normal folk. We are getting some better quality stuff together at the moment though- we debuted two new songs last week that went down great, so we're laying them down, and forcing the mix to be done on normal speakers
Ah cool, PM me when you have some stuff done. My bands myspace is the link in my sig, add us if you want.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
mostly metal, though i also like some rock and punk. i learned some of ladies night by kool and the gang too, so i might try some 70's disco stuff too lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I play a wide set of genres.
I find funky stuff with a nice grove the funnest to play.
That said, Im in a metal band...
Mostly modern rock.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I love playing everything. I probably have the most fun playing rock, ska, and funk, but I'll still be found in the back of guitar center playing the blues, or tearin it up with some metal or jazz or whatever pops into my head
For my main band, rock, for fun I like to play punk though.
Only two total for punk!
EDIT: But four for ska.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Last edited by TooFast at Feb 23, 2009,
Rock , I've been playing alot of The Beatles recently, I also like to play Wishbone Ash
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
yea i chose rock, but lately ive just been messing around with all the blues lines and stuff. But song wise i play mostly all classic rock.
Metal. Opeth is my favorite to play along with thrash like metallica and megadeth.

And cant go wrong with Rush and some Tool.

prog really.. who woulda thought....
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Last edited by Metal5115 at Feb 23, 2009,
I play mostly ska. I like walking bass lines and it is what comes naturally to me. But I dabble in alternative, rock, blues, and I have been working on funk. Lately I've been trying to work on some weird progressive stuff, it is alot harder than ska.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I wasn't sure, so I voted "rock" (it doesn't seem like it can be a wrong vote with some of these together (iduno, I usually play stuff that is "rock", "hardcore", "metal", etc. I write "rock" music as well (at least I call it rock music) and some "post-rock" as well))

(these are in quotations because of the blurriness)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
My band (which I play bass in) plays proggy death metal, but on my own I play lots of instrumental/post-rock along with whatever else I feel like.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by jimm, ey?
Metal. But all really.

If anyone says pop or country I will actually come to their house and punch them in the face.

Why? I quite like pop music.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Some pop is good. Not my favorite, but some of it. Michael Jackson has some great bass lines, Billie Jean anyone? Country is ok but really my cup of tea. Mostly because I can't play it and it kinda just doesn't appeal that much to me.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
kind of... Bluesy Funk.

and lately been getting into a bit of Jazz..

and... I dunno, Stuff with a nice groove basically. I always try bring a groove.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Metal, specifically Thrash Metal, like, I play other styles, including classic rock, punk and some blues stuff, but I love Thrash Metal more than anything.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Page 1 of 2