I have a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier 50 watt head and I have a cab that has two 60 watt 8Ohm speakers in it. Is it okay to run the amp through it without something bad happening?
I believe you mean 8 ohm... and do a google search about series/parallel wiring of speakers. Connect the speakers together and plug your cab into the amp.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Does the wattage on the speakers have to match the wattage of the amp or does it not matter as long as the cab has more watts then the amp?
Plug the head into the cab on the 4Ohm setting and you'll be safe. Even 8 should be fine.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
As long as the cab is at least double the wattage. I have a speaker with a 90 watt RMS in my 50 watt combo and its fine. Hell, Mesa put it in there...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If that 50 watts is the rms (I believe that's the term) or max changes things. If it is the max then yes you are fine for sure. I doubt that is though. To find max wattage you take RMS watts and x1.4 so your case it would be 70. Your speakers are rated for 60. If you have a quality cab/speakers you will probably be okay as I've heard companies tend to rate them conservatively.
Yea if your speakers are lower wattage than your amp you will end up with more speaker breakup which can be a good thing in terms of tone. Just dont crank it all the way up!!
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.