This has just started to piss me off, I play it just under 3/4 of the tempo and its fine in time and everything when I speed it up, I can't keep it in time for ****.
so I been working on it for around 8 Hours playing it at speed I can play in time and slowly speeding it up, but the minute I get over 3/4 of the tempo of hysteria I can't keep it in time.

and I don't understand it, I can play things lot more complicated and faster yet not this.
any tips ?? If I play with out a backing track(midi drums) or the cd no seems to notice I go out of time.

as I cant work anything else till I get this right.
i assume its the chorus youre having trouble with

play the root not (open A) in time with the track until the rhythm is embedded in your brain. It's not a very fast song you know, the plucking is an average tempo and the fretting is actually pretty slow.
its the Main bass riff,

A and D String are on the same string

with the E Skipping rather than reaching for 17th fret.
Last edited by jayoel at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The only tip is to keep practicing.

Do you play the string skipping version, or the "one string per phrase" version?

Practicing theres gotta be something I'm doing wrong or some tip, because I play things greatly faster.

eg I can Play it in time at 74bpm but then I put it up to 80bpm I can't no matter how many times I go over and over it. (not the exact bpm)
u gotta feel the beat. find the note in each phrase thats on the beat, and concentrate on hitting that in time.
Quote by jb_reborn
u gotta feel the beat. find the note in each phrase thats on the beat, and concentrate on hitting that in time.

Agreed. I found the song has a lot to do with making sure your right hand is precise. If you have that fast enough the rest seems to fall into place.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by jayoel
Practicing theres gotta be something I'm doing wrong or some tip, because I play things greatly faster.

eg I can Play it in time at 74bpm but then I put it up to 80bpm I can't no matter how many times I go over and over it. (not the exact bpm)

Without meaning to be cruel, your technique probably just isn't quite up to scratch yet. Pinpoint the exact moments when your timing goes off and note the movements your fingers are having trouble with. Personally, I can play certain scales VERY fast (eg. the minor pentatonic), but when I attempt a new scale shape I have to start from the basics and build it up slowly, because my muscle memory simply isn't good enough to play it fast yet.

Another realy important tip is to take breaks. If you allow yourself to be frustrated over it, you will probably make little or no progress anyway, so just chil out and do something else, either on bass or off bass. Often I find I cannot play something no matter how hard I try, then come back the next day and have it click immediately with no practice in between at all.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
put the track, i think you can find tracks with no bass in at all but with the rest of the band, on WMP, right click on the play bar and go to play speed, and slow it down. I think this puts it to about half speed. I practiced this, like that for about a week in small bursts and could play it at full speed and even the faster speed setting.

put simply, keep on practicing at slower speeds and gradually build it up
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP