I'm looking to buy a Randy Rhoads Jackson Jackson but i have a couple of questions between the RR1 and RR5. I see the RR5 has two Seymour Duncan TB4 pickups while the RR1 has a TB4 in the bridge and a Seymour DUncan SH2 in the neck. Is there a big difference in these. Also i was wondering if the neck is very different for the RR1 than in the RR5. I know the RR1 will have better craftsmanship coming from the US but i was wondering if it was worth it. Money isnt really a big deal i just dont wanna pay a lot extra if the SH2 doesnt make that big of a difference and the neck feels almost the exact same. Please help me decide.
THE tb4's are hotter than the sh4's

EDIT: the Jackson RR5/RR1 has a TB4 in the bridge and a Sh4N in the neck so basically you have to go to playability instead of tone since they are going to be the same pups.

The neck is the same in both but the RR1 has ebony fretboard instead of the rosewood on the RR5.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Last edited by Blacken Seas at Feb 23, 2009,
Not sure about the necks... but I am sure that the RR1 is much nicer! RR5 is butt ugly, and why have the same two pick ups?
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
is an ebony fretboard much better than a rosewood, is it smoother or anything?
Quote by Blacken Seas
THE tb4's are hotter than the sh4's

EDIT: the Jackson RR5/RR1 has a TB4 in the bridge and a Sh4N in the neck so basically you have to go to playability instead of tone since they are going to be the same pups.

The neck is the same in both but the RR1 has ebony fretboard instead of the rosewood on the RR5.

The tb4 is the same as a sh4 only with a wider magnet spacing for floyd rose bridges.
Quote by biglaz84

I think you should do a bit more research on each of them if you're unsure about anything.
Quote by caraluzzo
I think you should do a bit more research on each of them if you're unsure about anything.

thats what im trying to do now, i cant actually try them out right now so if anyone has played both please let me know what the major difference in neck feel is and anything else that may change my mind
My Agile has an ebony fingerboard, and my Epiphone has a rosewood fingerboard.

I can't explain why, but the ebony just feels much nicer than the rosewood. Just my opinion.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
ebony boards are smoother and are usually sanded to a finer grit sandpaper. they have a smaller grain compared to rosewood. rosewood is very open and porous where ebony is tight and smooth
( @ you pervs!).

its more a personal preferance but it does give a little playability difference.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
ebony also sounds a little brighter than rosewood
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I am not sure about the pickups, but I would probably just get a used RR5, if I had to choose. But it depends what you want. The RR1 also has a Floyd Rose, while the RR5 has none. New, I would go with RR1.
I already have a RR3 that I play daily so I know about the Randy Rhoades guitars and how I feel about them.
Guitar: Jackson RR3 with Dimarzio X2N
B52 LG 100 Amp Head, no cab (need cab need cab)
Fender Practice Amp
Drums: Mapex M Birch Fusion
Zildjian, Wuhan, Saluda Cymbals
Tama Iron Cobra Pedals

i like the rr5
but is up to you
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by biglaz84

Is it better? That's more of an opinion. Tonally ebony gives a brighter sound. Are you going to notice this in your Jackson? Probably not. Personally I like the look of the ebony fretboard. Out of my 5 guitars only one has an ebony fretboard. I would say your best bet is to try to find the guitars and try them yourself.

I thought what made the RR1 and RR5 different models was the fact that one the RR1 had a FR and the RR5 didn't. Shouldn't this be more of a deciding factor than what the fretboard is made out of? Isn't RR1 USA and RR5 Japanese? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by decadence5423
Is it better? That's more of an opinion. Tonally ebony gives a brighter sound. Are you going to notice this in your Jackson? Probably not. Personally I like the look of the ebony fretboard. Out of my 5 guitars only one has an ebony fretboard. I would say your best bet is to try to find the guitars and try them yourself.

I thought what made the RR1 and RR5 different models was the fact that one the RR1 had a FR and the RR5 didn't. Shouldn't this be more of a deciding factor than what the fretboard is made out of? Isn't RR1 USA and RR5 Japanese? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right in every aspect except for one: There is also an RR1T, which is an RR1 without a Floyd.

To TS: Personally, if I was in your situation, this wouldn't be a question at all. I'd without a single doubt go with the RR1. The neck is a bit beefier in the RR5, but not by a wide margin. The RR1 also has MOP inlays and Jackson logo, bound neck and head stock, and is USA made. You can get both guitars with or without an Original Floyd Rose now. The RR5 has MOTO inlays, painted logo, rosewood board, is unbound, and is MIJ. Also, you can get the RR1 in a wide variety of colors and graphics. I'd seriously get the RR1 with the Lightning Sky graphic. Classic yet very sick.
Quote by Vittu0666
You're right in every aspect except for one: There is also an RR1T, which is an RR1 without a Floyd.

To TS: Personally, if I was in your situation, this wouldn't be a question at all. I'd without a single doubt go with the RR1. The neck is a bit beefier in the RR5, but not by a wide margin. The RR1 also has MOP inlays and Jackson logo, bound neck and head stock, and is USA made. You can get both guitars with or without an Original Floyd Rose now. The RR5 has MOTO inlays, painted logo, rosewood board, is unbound, and is MIJ. Also, you can get the RR1 in a wide variety of colors and graphics. I'd seriously get the RR1 with the Lightning Sky graphic. Classic yet very sick.

This man is no vittu, he knows his stuff
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i think im gonna go with a used RR1 because i have like 1600 and i think the extra 600 will go a long way if im gonan be playing this thing for a long time to come. Thanks for the information guys it was a lot of help.
Quote by Vittu0666

And there is also a RR5FR which is a RR5 with a Floyd Rose
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Quote by caraluzzo

isnt that what hes doing?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50