Okay, Im intrested in getting a tremolo bridge installed on my bass. Should i take it to the Lutheirs, or do it myself? is it as simple as shoping out a block and drilling in the bridge?

Id be saving like £70 on installation fees.
Gear
Squier Standard Special P-Bass (Modding it)
Squier Affinity series P-Bass
Ashdown After Eight

Whishlist
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders (P/J Set)
Kahler Bass Tremolo Bridge
Ashdown Mag 300 Head EVOIII
Ashdown Mag 410T Bass Cab
yes you should do it yourself. it is very simple, reversible and you save like 70 on installation fees.
Why dont you do some research on the subject or just think for a second now?
shoping out a block.....?

the body will need to be routed on the top and the back inorder to fit a tremelo. if you dont know what your doing and dont want to turn your bass into firewood id suggest you take it to a pro.

although its not a crazy difficult process, if you have no idea what your doing, theres alot of room to botch something up.

also, is your body flat or carved top? what trem were you gonna go with? these are all important questions to see if its feasible or not. why not buy a bass with a trem?
Quote by cfhwarhead
yes you should do it yourself. it is very simple, reversible and you save like 70 on installation fees.
Why dont you do some research on the subject or just think for a second now?

It's not reversible and it's only simple if you have experiance and the right tools.

Quote by Dr. House
Do you have tools? Experience?

That's what I was thinking too. If your tools are a 1/4" chisel, a paper clip, and some 2 week old bubble gum or if your only woodworking is that you have pulled the fake wood veneer from the side of a 86 Volvo wagon then perhaps you should take it to a luthier. If you have good tools and have woodworking experience then there is no reason you can't do this yourself.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by CorduroyEW
That's what I was thinking too. If your tools are a 1/4" chisel, a paper clip, and some 2 week old bubble gum or if your only woodworking is that you have pulled the fake wood veneer from the side of a 86 Volvo wagon then perhaps you should take it to a luthier. If you have good tools and have woodworking experience then there is no reason you can't do this yourself.

Mcgyver can do it. I was just watching that last night.
Quote by CorduroyEW
That's what I was thinking too. If your tools are a 1/4" chisel, a paper clip, and some 2 week old bubble gum

You could do it with a chisel. You just need the skills to use the chisel to get a decent result. Technically a monky could do it. It is just a matter of if you are worried about having a good job done or not.
Hey thanks for the help. I was helping my dad on call of duty XD.

Im thinking i will take it to a luthier. I have 4 years of woodwork under my belt at school, but i dont want to risk it.

Im getting one of the Kahler's i believe. Will that change anything?

My bass is a Flat top.
Gear
Squier Standard Special P-Bass (Modding it)
Squier Affinity series P-Bass
Ashdown After Eight

Whishlist
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders (P/J Set)
Kahler Bass Tremolo Bridge
Ashdown Mag 300 Head EVOIII
Ashdown Mag 410T Bass Cab
Last edited by PikeyRyan at Feb 23, 2009,
4 years woodworking exp.

i would say just get a diagram for the cavity you need for that kahler, and go at it, im sure you have a router you can use, rotary tool or whatever
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."