What do you guys think are some good guitars for playing garage rock? (Must be under $500, and don't suggest a Les Paul or a Strat.)
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
Danelectro!
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
1. What's wrong with a Les Paul and a strat?

2. Teles, Danelectros, really anything with single-coils. Stuff with the word "Fender" slapped on the head generally seem to be popular in garage rock.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Nothing's wrong with Strats and Les Pauls, it's just that everybody uses them, and I want something unique. Plus, I own a Strat.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Quote by gbgg9409
Nothing's wrong with Strats and Les Pauls, it's just that everybody uses them, and I want something unique. Plus, I own a Strat.

use that then, you can always give it a custom paintjob if you wanna be different, or adapt the headstock blabla

not much use in buying something which you already have eh?

other suggestions would be a telecaster (which most people use, so thats not different) or a danelectro (which alot of people use, so again nothing different)

just use the strat, may I ask what amp you're runnign through btw?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Feb 23, 2009,
Ah. Fair enough. Then yeah, I'd recommend taking a look at most Fenders and really anything that has a bridge single-coil.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
the Marshall G10 MK. II is what you run it through....? oh bugger
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Everybody uses them for a reason.

Epiphone Dot/Sheraton II.

Better/Real amp?..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'd suggest a better amp, but I have no garage rock knowledge, nor do I know if you play any other genres so I'd leave that up to someone who knows what he's talking aboot
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Yeah, I've been seriously considering a new amp, like a Fender Frontman 212r. I don't really care about the amp's effects, because my Big Muff is awesome, and it and my Strat are a really nice match. I only really need an amp that's really loud when it's clean. And I've looked into the G-400. I like it, but it's a little too metal for my tastes.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Also, I'm still using my sister's old guitar and amp. I did not pick them out myself.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

so basically if we suggest you a nice non-metal amp for your money you'll take it in consideration? shweet
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Yeah, but this is about guitars. I'm actually kinda disappointed at how many people responded. Where's my garage rock buddies??
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Quote by gbgg9409
Yeah, but this is about guitars. I'm actually kinda disappointed at how many people responded. Where's my garage rock buddies??

HERE!!
But seriously, it really varies on what kind you want to play, theres a lot of deviations now, like classic Stooges/MC5, soem newer YeahYeahYeahs stuff, QOTSA, etc.
Unfortunately right now, I'm trying to play through a metal guitar, (Dean ML)which I dont recommend, but out of the things Ive tested and will hopefully buy soon, I like a good hollowbody, thinline, preferably w/ p90s.(I'm also building myself a guitar for garage rock out of remains from an old dean EVO, with a new body, and an HSS setup, I'm hoping to be able to get a wide range of really dirty sounds from it.)
and amp? I dont know, I play out of VOX
That sounds cool. Wait, I just got a brain wave! Maybe I'll just get a Squier Tele off of Ebay and mod the crap out of it! Stick some Seymours on it, some Grover tuners, custom paint job... this is starting to sound like a good idea!
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

If your gonna mod the heck out of it just make sure to get a wood that your happy with. Everything else can be changed and switched out 'cept the body wood.
I play a lot of garage rock and my 61' SG serves me well.

Before that it was an Epiphone Dot until that met a grim end.

Either of those...?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by hypnotix
Danelectro!

Actualy true I got a Danelectro Innuendo blue/silver burst a few years back just because it looked cool and I love it. say what you will but after I got the setup right it rocks. (never use the onboard effects though) and you can probably get one for a can of coke now
Another vote for Danelectro. Should be within OP's budget unless he's in UK/Europe.

I have a fairly atypical Dano, in that it has 2 pairs of singles wired as humbuckers, but it has a coil-split so they can be played as singles:

I got the above Hodad used for $250.

There are lots of other possibilities, definitely focus on non-humbucker guitars for a garage sound. Here are some of my other guitars that fit within the price/sound parameters:

Gretsch Special Jet, bought used: $235, DeArmond 2000 single coils:

Brownsville Choirboy, bought used: $100, 3 low-output alnico single coil toasters:

P-90's would work for garage. I have three guitars all bought for well under $500 used:

Epiphone WildKat, bought used $300:

Schecter Tempest Special, bought used w/ohsc $250:

Agile Valkyrie SG-type, bought new on closeout $99 (I think the current Valyries are about $250 new, not sure if they have a P-90 version currently though):

Now I'll break my own rule about focusing on single coils, for a couple other possibilities.

First, mini-humbuckers should work, as they are brighter and more focused than standard ones. I bought this Daisy Rock Retro-H new on closeout for $120 shipped:

And lastly, here's a funky old fave that has humbuckers BUT they are splittable. The Peavey T-60 has a unique tone control where from 1 to about 7 the pickups run as humbuckers, and from 7 to 10 they are single coils. I bought this one used w/ohsc for $200, though it'd probably run more around $300 today as prices have increased over the last few years, made in USA in 1980:

Mmm, I LOVE coil taps. And nice Gretsch. I've also been considering the Ibanez JTK2. Does that ring a bell with any of you people? It's got coil taps.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I like the way you think, man.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Quote by gbgg9409
Mmm, I LOVE coil taps. And nice Gretsch. I've also been considering the Ibanez JTK2. Does that ring a bell with any of you people? It's got coil taps.

The Jet King II should be perfect for garage, it's definitely got the "pawnshop prize" styling.
Awesome. And it's less than $400! Now I just have to make sure I get it before it's completely discontinued. Don't you hate that?
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Quote by gbgg9409
Awesome. And it's less than $400! Now I just have to make sure I get it before it's completely discontinued. Don't you hate that?

Yeah, if buying new that can be a problem. But I tend to buy used, luckily I live in a college town with lots of people selling gear regularly.

I think at this point about 90% of my "collection" is out of production and could only be replaced used.
Yeah, if buying new that can be a problem. But I tend to buy used, luckily I live in a college town with lots of people selling gear regularly.

I think at this point about 90% of my "collection" is out of production and could only be replaced used.

Haha, same with me. They don't sell Strats in the color that I have anymore, and the only gear I have that's still in production are my effects.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

Perfect garage rock guitars for the most part.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣