so for my theory homework, i was given a melody, and i had to

A. Pitch inventory
B. Diagram the scale
C. figure out either what
1. key
2. mode
3. scale
was used to to create the melody.

now, pitch inventory i get. but once i have that, im confused on what to do. if i play the melody (or at least attempt to, lol) that usually helps, but im trying to get used to working these things out without aural help.

i was able to figure out most of the examples, by rearranging the notes, and hopefully seeing a pattern.

but theres just one example im totally lost on.

B C Eb E G G# is the note inventory. now im assuming that its probably a flat key, so ive been writing the G# as Ab,

now, our choices are any of the modes, any minor, pentatonic or whole tone scales. this is obviously not a whole tone, or pentatonic. so it must be either a mode or minor, which would mean theres a note missing, right? I'm just totally lost on what to do now.
Could you tell us more about the context? Or better yet, can you post the melody?

If it was a flat key, you'd have to pop a flat into that B.
Gipsy, hispano-arabic scale, phrygian dominant of B, something along those lines?
B C D# E F G Ab?
Last edited by CanCan at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by CanCan
Looks like C harmonic minor.

Eb and E

Edit: for it to be Harmonic minor the "E" would have to be F
then yeah.. the only not your missing would be D

BUT if the note is notated G# then its a G# not Ab

what are the order of the notes?
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by victoryaloy
Eb and E

Edit: for it to be Harmonic minor the "E" would have to be F
then yeah.. the only not your missing would be D

BUT if the note is notated G# then its a G# not Ab

what are the order of the notes?

That's not even the problem. If you render that e flat as a d sharp, you can fit it into C#m.

Are we even talking about the same scale? E isn't C sharp's seventh, is it? And if it were, it wouldn't become F, it would become E#.
Quote by CanCan
That's not even the problem. If you render that e flat as a d sharp, you can fit it into C#m.

Where are you getting the C# and G# from?? lol

Anyway, if you were to make the G# Ab and the E Fb then you would have two +2 intervals and two -2 intervals.
And the mistery note between C and Eb

I'm not seeing any relation to western theory

Edit:
B is the raised 7th... in natural minor it would be Bb
I was just saying that E in the Key of C would make it major and you already have an Eb which would be the minor third so if he miss typed the E for F then that would give you your minor 3rd and P4
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by victoryaloy
Where are you getting the C# and G# from?? lol

Anyway, if you were to make the G# Ab and the E Fb then you would have two +2 intervals and two -2 intervals.
And the mistery note between C and Eb

I'm not seeing any relation to western theory

I just re read the post, and I think the TS gave us way too little insight. I'm probably getting this upside down. He has a written melody, right? He's trying to figure this out without listening to it, just analysing the written part. If so, why is he looking at a written G sharp and turning it into a A flat?

I'm not getting C sharp. I'm boiling down the whole thing to the simplest key center I can get. I did word out this part wrongly, I can see that now. We don't have a C#, yes, but it might be something *like* it. What drew me to C# minor, though, was the presence of C. If we make that C a B#, just like the TS is turning G# into a Ab, it could be the sensitive the scale needs to be the harmonic minor.

I didn't talk about Fb. I did mention E#, but that was just to undermine your theory, which I can't understand either. I clearly stated I thought it was C#-, you didn't. I had nothing to do other than to assume you were talking about my, erm, assumption. So, I just stated that E isn't C sharp's seventh, and that even if it were, raising it wouldn't turn it into an F, but rather an E#.

Mistyping an F for an E? Pretty please.

Moving on, the TS's approach is correct, he should opt to figure out what's enharmonic to what. So, we have
B C Eb E G G#/Ab. We can turn it around to
(B) B# D# E (G) G#. That might get us, other than what I've already said, I dunno... A cross between the major and minor bebop scales?

Give us context, please, TS. This has got to have shifting harmonic centres. Reminds me of Ornithology / How High the Moon, as played in Parker's alto - in E, shifting to E-.