went to afterschool tech today about my scorpian guitar stand and I got talking to my teacher about building my own guitar. he then suggested to go and see the builders who are building a bit of are school (it broke) about where to get some wood for cheap. anyway he gave me this beast and i was wondering whether or not it would be good enough to build a neck out of. sorry bout crappy pics on my camera phone, but i had to get to my guitar lesson and didnt have much time. so can i make a neck out of the wood????? theres also a pic of my guitar stand in bits too (updates on that tommorow)

It would also be quite nice to know a cutting list for a alexi style V and telecaster/ explorer coz he said if i gave him a cutting list he wud see wot he could get hold of.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
it looks like plywood kinda, you could build something out of it, but its gonna sound like...well plywood
its not plywood i dont think, he seemed pretty certain it was some sorta hardwood, and theres not different layers in it like on plywood
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Quote by Blitz93
lol @ title of the thread

i thought someone would :P
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Quote by guitaringnathan
it looks like plywood kinda

wat

OP, I wish I could help, but I have no idea. Suggestion: wait for Kyle.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Blitz93
lol @ title of the thread

I thought it was going to be about Polish pr0n
ohai little sig.
Quote by ohspyro89
I have my doubts that it is ply wood, the plys aren't even visible.

I'm not sure what it is, it has a kind of mahogany looking grain, but I really don't know. It could be something else, who knows.

cheers for the interest

ill try an make a neck thru type v out of it, an i'll laminate it to for extra strength. i'll let you know how it goes tho guys

EDIT: anyone know the measurements of a neck like that?
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Last edited by Robbo1422 at Feb 23, 2009,
cant be too certain really when just looking at it from those pics.

ask the builders where its come from, knowing its application means more certainty with regards to the species of wood.

my guess is anything from dirty and dark beech, to a cheap piece of mahogany - quite possibley it is the lattter..but some of the pics where its lighter show a longer, darker grain which gives me some suspicion.
Quote by godofshred
cant be too certain really when just looking at it from those pics.

ask the builders where its come from, knowing its application means more certainty with regards to the species of wood.

my guess is anything from dirty and dark beech, to a cheap piece of mahogany - quite possibley it is the lattter..but some of the pics where its lighter show a longer, darker grain which gives me some suspicion.

he definatly seemed certain that it was a hardwood of somesort. dunno whether that helps anyone...
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
and where is this kyle you spoke of? ^^^^
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
looks like walnut to me. or some kind of dark mahogany.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I'm pretty sure its mahogany the color is brown like mahogany the grain looks like mahogany too. Its not walnut (doesn't look like walnut to me at all)..

I'm judging this by the last picture with the planed face only, the other pictures aren't good enough..
Quote by guitaringnathan
it looks like plywood kinda, you could build something out of it, but its gonna sound like...well plywood

ummmm no no it doesnt.
I am me. Live with it.
I second the walnut theory. Also the dimensions for a neck through are like 44 x 3 x 1.5 MINIMUM. Anything more is excellent
I'm assuming it's nothing too fancy.
It's from building part of a school so, as long as the school isn't some academy it's probably nothing fancy.
idk, the last pic kinda looks like mahogany BUT none of the other ones do. The first two looked a bit walnuty, but it would be impossible to tell as it looks as though there is finish on it. They could have put any type of varnish or what not on it. The third pic looks much to yellow for mahogany.
Take better pics. It'd be easier to ID if the pics were focused.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by thegrungyhippie
I'm assuming it's nothing too fancy.
It's from building part of a school so, as long as the school isn't some academy it's probably nothing fancy.

its an academy and i was comparing it to some woods in the shop we have and it looks a bit like oak (is that still ok for making a neck??) . the dark colour looks like some sort of stain, but i didnt spend to much time looking at it today as i got some of my guitar stand welded

and does anyone know whether red merante (or however its spelt) is good for guitar bodys?

EDIT: heres a pic of it wher i filed an edge to show the colour contrast between the wood and the stain

wood & stain on far left, original colour in middle (the light bit)
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Last edited by Robbo1422 at Feb 24, 2009,
I can't really say. BUT it would be easier to tell if all the pics weren't so fuzzy.
now two of the teachers are convinced it is mahogony after i plained it an got rid of the horrible stain... it seems strong enough to make a neck anyways, so it'll do for my first project at least
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
im not sure, it looks pretty solid, so i suppose u cud, it might sound kinda **** though
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!