I'm not too sure if this is the right part of the forum to be asking this so I am sorry if I am in the wrong.

I am currently in the middle of writing material for my 'band', it's more of a one man project, think Mirrorthrone (although slight different genre and I don't claim to be anywhere near as good).

I was wondering if selling the album with absolutely no copyright on name or songs or anything would be risky, and if so, as I know nothing about it, how should I go about copyrighting the necessary things.

I hope that makes sense.
Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
all you have to do, is write a little bio about the cd etc, like songs names, who theyre written by and when and then pop it on a cd, whack it in a jiffy bag and send it to yourself RECORDED delivery. thats copyrighting the easy way that way, if you think someones ripped off your song, you take em to court then the judge man can open the cd and see when it was made etc and kick the thiefs ass

hope it helps/makes sense lol
so basically just make some hard evidence that it's my music and I wrote it?

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
copyright EVERYTHING. do you want to trust yourself to the poor mans copyright? that can be faked. a signed peace of paper is much more trustworthy.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Ok, I am sorry for my foolishness but what would I actually have to do to copyright everything?

Would I just have to write down what my own work is and the date and sign it?

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
lol, the poor mans copyright can work, and its a good backup, but you should get all original music copyrighted ASAP. depends what country you live in, Axemanchris has a good thing up on this, ill try to get a link for ya.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Ok, thanks for your help. I live in England btw.

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
If it's your first release, I wouldn't be especially worried about copyrighting it. The actual copyrighting process is kind of a hassle and it will probably end up causing more trouble than it's worth. It really depends on how much time and money you are actually putting into this release - if you're planning on making 500 copies with plastic cases and colored sleeves then you might want to go through the copyrighting process. If you're just gonna burn a few copies for friends and upload some songs on Myspace then I really wouldn't worry about it.

Then there's the poor-man's copyright. If you're just worried about an ex-bandmate stealing your music then that will probably give you some credit in court. If a major-label backed artist tries to copy your music then you might have a problem, but the odds of that happening are very slim. Again, it all depends on how big your initial release is.

But yeah, read the link Shadow Hawk posted, there's some very good advice in there.
Last edited by shortyafter at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

there ya go man, reading that should be pretty useful.

Ahhh... THERE it is!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks a lot guys

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,