Hi everyone. I am here to talk about what I have been experiencing the past few days. I am a University student (2nd year) and studying a degree that includes a placement year (3rd year). Round about October time the year in industry students were gathered up and we were given a presentation about a placement based abroad that was available. The presentation was presented by the head of biology as he is in charge of the placement.

So days later I wrote my CV and cover later and hand them into my tutor. Around december my tutor calls me to see him. Basically what he said was that my application was rejected because A. My first year grades were not high enough and B. The number of places avaliable was capped to 6 places I think. (something I was not told about in the lecture).

I know that out of the six people, four of them are year in industry students and two are just normal 3 year students. During my A levels I did my best to try to get on the year in industry course, which I did. This is the kind of placement that I wanted to be on. Whats annoying me is that two of the students that applied arent even year in industry students yet they still were given a place.

What I did was I contacted the head of biology by email and said hay look, I know my grades were not very good but please re consider after my January exam results are out. He says he will think about it if I get a 2.1 average.

My first year results gave me an average of about 54%. So on the Friday just gone I recieved my results and was quite surprised that I only managed to achieve 57% average. I am actually quite annoyed at this result as I put alot of effort in.

This placement means alot to me and is the only placement I really want to be on. This is the kind of placement I wanted to be on when I applied for the sandwich course. I dont know exactly what criteria the head used to pick the 6 students but my tutor tells me it was based on first year grades.

Are grades really that important when going on a placement that involves staying in a foreign country for 1 year. I mean I wasnt that far off the 2.1. I have almost 5 years experience in working in a working environment. Wont skills like this help when working abroad?

Right now I just dont know what I should do.

Would it be wrong of me to try and pursue this further? When you really want something should you stay determined untill the end?

Sorry for being so long winded and hope what I have written is understandable.
Well understand that it probably means just as much to the guys who ARE going. But what do I know
These selection processes in college/uni aren't always entirely fair.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Those placements are designed only for the top achieving students, as they're gona be hard work. So, evidently, the ones who got on the course are better than you.

I'm currently in 1st year, and am working my ass off cos there's a possibility of a placement year on my course too. But you have to be pretty much top of the class to get on it.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Joeval
Those placements are designed only for the top achieving students, as they're gona be hard work. So, evidently, the ones who got on the course are better than you.

I'm currently in 1st year, and am working my ass off cos there's a possibility of a placement year on my course too. But you have to be pretty much top of the class to get on it.

Unfortunately he is right, they really do take the very best students, i'm a 3rd year on a high 2:1 and I wouldn't have made the cut for the industrial placements, its a tough break really, but don't give up, look for summer placements, its not a whole year, but the experience is worth it, its definately worth looking into.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
try your best to get it now, but dont count on doing exactly that. in the grand scheme of things, grades arent worth sh1t, and if you are a diligent employee then in the future you will benefit a lot more and all will be materially good.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.