Well I have been dieing to get a tube amp, so I can really learn to play (Always heard a tube amp was the way to go cause you hear more mistakes and better yourself) Anyway I am going with a Crate VH33H head and was looking into new tubes to get for it. Well I got a few quetions since I know nothing about biasing a amp after you switch the tubes, so does this amp have a self adjusting bias circut or does it need to be manually biased? Can it be biased at all, cause I know some amps you can't adjust the bias (set bias) So does anyone know about setting this bias on a Crate V33H?

Second, can someone tell me, which Preamp/Powertube (IDK which it would be, this is my first tube amp) is used for the overdrive chanel, cause I want to get tube accordingly (If distortion uses a power tube I want to put a 6550 or 6L6 in for it)

I am going with this amp head (Unless for some reason it sells out real quick) so no need to try and perswade me to 'save' and but another diffrent amp head, cause I am not, this amp head is what I want, and I like it as it is, and the tube changing is just to make it more rounded for most of what I play. So just help me learn more about my amp head. Thanks in advance.

Peace out,
LPC \m/
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
dying
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
What cab are you going to use? I'm not much help on the biasing part...

EDIT: I think the V-series are fixed biased.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Feb 23, 2009,
Berhinger BG412S is the cabinet. Dying? WTF that mean lol.

LPC Edit: Well it looks like I am stuck with just EL84 Tubes cause all other tubes are a diffrent pin style, and I can't find an adaptor, so if anyone knows of a adaptor so you can use EL34 and 6L6's in place of EL84's I would really apprecaite it.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Last edited by LesPaulCowboy at Feb 23, 2009,
And spelling has to do with my question how? lol. I know I know, spelling is everything, but you guys know what I mean. Anyway... Still need HELP!
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Preamp tubes will be 12ax7 and i'm betting the power amp tubes will be el84's since its a 33 watt amp. You will not really need to bias any of the tubes, you could take it to a tech and have them bias the el84's, but they are cathode biased which means as long as your tubes aren't too far off what they already use it will be fine. The preamp tubes you will not be able to bias.
I like it, and I jsut want to mess with tubes to learn what sound they get and so I can better my sound. I assume there is no was to change in other tubed for those EL84 (But I know you can get adaptors to put EL84's in everything else lol)

LPC Edit: but after some reading, and thinking and writing and more thinking I want to switch in the main preamps for 12AU7's and 12AT7's (Leave the original 12AX7 in the reverb socket) and I would like to put Electro - Harmonics EL84's in place of the factory EL84's

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-EL84-Matched-Power-Tubes?sku=210092

There is the Electro - Harmonix tube I want to replace the factor tubes with. I jsut want to make sure they won't be over powering for my amp. But I am asking questions so that maybe someone can help me, so I can stay away from screwing up my amp.

Also I should have mentioned this, but the amp uses EL84's.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Last edited by LesPaulCowboy at Feb 23, 2009,
So, yeah, over a year bump.... These may be easy or questions that are researchable, but I like a straight "yes" answer and I just like to be sure on this stuff.

I'm kind of in the same boat: I have a V33H, modded to the SLO mod schematics (bought it that way, dunno if it affects my question), and it's starting to change in sound (i.e. clean channel sounding less dynamic/ sterile... OD channel seems to change in sound during use [could be volume, idk])
So, my question is, if it's the tubes that I think are starting to go sour on me, what are the bias concerns? I do believe the power amp tubes are cathode biased (evidence here: http://www.amazon.com/Crate-V33H-Guitar-powered-cathode/dp/B0013OA4YO )
To JDizzle

Since its cathode biased you will basically pop in a new set of EL84's, get a matched quad of them, and your good to go.

Preamp tubes are of no issue for bias, as changing their bias would alter the characteristics of the amp somewhat.

Hopefully the tube change will fix all of your issue.