So, because I'm in high school, I can't afford to buy boutique effects and marshall stacks. I make do with what I've got, even if it ain't that great. My current rig is a gibson v into a digitech ex-7, through an rp-150, and into a spider ii 2x10. Even though some of this stuff is budget gear, I've been able to tweak some really good tones into my setup, at least good enough for performing. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation, in which they get good sounds from gear that some would say is too cheap or not-so-good. Anyone out there like myself in this regard?
before i got my strat and orange TT, i was making do with a low, low end gibson SG (the one you could buy at best buy) that i set up perfectly myself, a mid-90's marshall "G215", which is a 30 watt 2x8 MG, and put that through a Behringer GMX212.

got some decent tones. it is definitely possible with budget gear.
First off ditch the pedals on your spider. Modeling amps don't go great with pedals. Then I suggest selling all of your pedals, and your amp and buy a better amp.

What are your genres?
Do you gig?
Whats your budget?
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
First off ditch the pedals on your spider. Modeling amps don't go great with pedals. Then I suggest selling all of your pedals, and your amp and buy a better amp.

What are your genres?
Do you gig?
Whats your budget?

Er, I'm pretty sure this isn't that kind of thread.

Man, you should try getting a job at GC.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist

What are your genres?
Do you gig?
Whats your budget?

Man he wasn't asking for opinions on his setup or gear, he was asking about people who've got good tones out of not so good stuff.

Besides why would he ditch his pedals? he said he likes the tones hes getting
It's definitely possible.

I had to save up for forever to afford my MG when I had it, and I also mowed lawns for nearly two summers straight to get my Strat that long time ago (Jesus, it seems like forever...).

I knew it wasn't the best, but I was able to get some decent tones out of the MG. I had to spend HOURS fiddling with the EQ, but I got it done, and it worked.

However, if you want to improve your sound, I'd say first off to rid yourself of the Digitech. The Spider isn't that bad of an amp, just not the most amazing for gigging. It gets a lot of bandwagon hate here.

Also, spend a while with the EQ on your amp, and it'll do wonders. Don't use the onboard effects too much, and you should be good.

EDIT: After a re-read, I saw you liked your tones My bad.

But yeah, it's definitely possible to do it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
ya im a highschool student to and i love the sound i can get through my stuff

peavey classic 30 (about 700)
epiphone les paul custom (got mine used for 350)
boss ds-2 distortion pedal (100)
dunlop cry baby wah-wah (100)

those are all just rounded and what not but ya i can get a really good sound out of it and didnt spend to much.. of course i bought all this stuff after spending 300 on ****ty equipment so i did spend a bit more than that, but still
RAW POWER
I probly got one of the cheapest setups on UG (guitar wise)

Squier Bullet Strat ($100) or Squier Tele ($200)->OS-2 ($80)->M-102($80)->CF-7($100)->MG50DFX($100)
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Last edited by Mad Mike 829 at Feb 23, 2009,
I used to coax halfway decent tones out of a Samick superstrat copy (back when they actually put Samick on the headstocks) through a Fender Roc Pro.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by guitarsftw
So, because I'm in high school, I can't afford to buy boutique effects and marshall stacks. I make do with what I've got, even if it ain't that great. My current rig is a gibson v into a digitech ex-7, through an rp-150, and into a spider ii 2x10. Even though some of this stuff is budget gear, I've been able to tweak some really good tones into my setup, at least good enough for performing. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation, in which they get good sounds from gear that some would say is too cheap or not-so-good. Anyone out there like myself in this regard?

Yep, i have a vox valvetronix i've had for years that i still use when i'm back at home and i can still get a good sound out of that with my SG, still doesn't sound as good as my tube amp though. My guitar is pretty cheap as well but i figure that most of my tone comes from my amp and my playing. It's not about how much you spend on gear, it's what you do with it that matters.
man there are more people like you out there than you realize. including myself. squier strat (soon to be getting a fender!!!!) into a dunlop crybaby into a pocket pod into a spider 3. and guess what man, i can blow people's minds at times. your playing is more important than your tone until your selling your music
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
well my rig is in my sig, pretty standard, and i love my sound

nothing wrong with multi-effects and solid state amps, but that doesnt mean that i would turn down an engl or mesa or something cool like that lol
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I love my rig and it would not be considered good at all by UG standards. I run a cheap Washburn into a 25W Crate bass amp through my pedals (the only good part of my rig) and I can get some amazing sounds out of it. If you know what you are doing, you can make the ****tiest gear sound good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
My Schecter Gryphon is freaking amazing! Love that guitar, got it for $300-$350, I just have a little trouble getting pinch harmonics even with a crapload of distortion, but it is probably my technique.
My SD-1 is ok at times. I want to send it in to get a Keeley Mod done on it, cause right now it seems to sound like video game music. A little too... electronic maybe? I dunno how to describe
My Frontman 212r, probably my biggest shame. I don't use this amp often because my friend leaves his Crate halfstack over here and it is much nicer than the Frontman. The distortion is really not good at all. The cleans are ok, a little too treble-y for me, because I prefer a more bass oriented sound. This amp works best when I split the coils on my Gryphon, it just seems to comply with single coil sounds more than humbuckers. I'm getting a job after senior project is over and then just save up to buy either a Traynor YCV-50 Blue or a nice Class A tube amp that takes pedals well. But I still gotta try some out.
My Squier VM Fretless. Next to my Gryphon this is probably my favorite piece of equipment. It is an amazing bass if you are on a budget. I love the tone, the feel, even the DD pickups. I really haven't played many other basses that I favor over this one. A fender jaguar and a schecter stiletto studio 5 fretless are the only ones that i like more than this.
My friend took back his Traynor P.A head and Spectra Bass cab, so I am forced to play my amazing bass unplugged.

All in all my set up is cheap, not too bad, just really need to get some good amps and good pedals.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by Mad Mike 829
I probly got one of the cheapest setups on UG (guitar wise)

Squier Bullet Strat ($100) or Squier Tele ($200)->OS-2 ($80)->M-102($80)->CF-7($100)->MG50DFX($100)

Haha. How about a Squier M/S Tele through a 1977 JMF Electronics 150 1x12 amp? The amp is vintage but isn't worth squat, but for an old solid state it's got a great clean tone and the ability to add some nice grit over the top...really lo-fi bluesy sound...I'm sure some older blues players would love this amp. I imagine I could probably sell my entire college bedroom rig for about 200-250 right now
I got some awesome clean tones out of a peavey transtube 258. I just put some delay, and reverb on it and it sounded damn good for a little 1x8. I also got some decent zep tones.

Im a firm believer that any good player can make anything sound good, within reason.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I had a Spider II a while back, and got a decent OD sound running a Boss FDR-1 through the Twang (Green I think?!) with the amp's gain down and mid way up, and the gain up on the FDR. It had a nice bark to it. I hated Twang Green without it, even with the amp's gain up.

People say it isn't possible to get decent tone out of a modeling amp and pedal... maybe so for some, but not in my situation.

I eventually sold the amp. It was great for short jam practices, but I noticed after playing for longer periods that the tone would get a little muddy, and noticed inconsistencies in the sound.

That said, it is possible. To the TS, you should definitely post on http://line6.com/support/forum.jspa?forumID=6 if you don't already. Lots of support there, and their techs post there too.

Edit: BTW, I used to like putting the delay pot really low, and set the tap tempo really fast.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Last edited by leondb at Feb 24, 2009,
Adding one of these if front of my cheapo system (zoom 505 + a crate gxr-15) has done wonders for my sound. I have the 20db pad & limiter switches ON because I am only using this to add tube warmth and tone, not signal/gain boost. Output all the way up, gain at about 75-80% just enough to keep the tube on the edge of breaking (clipping). Adds great warmth & tone, best 30 bones ever spent. I run the crate's ext. speaker jack out into two daisy chained Peavey 112hs stage monitors. Loud enough to play w/a drummer on 7 instead of cranked to 10 which sounds like hell, the old peavey's have a great bass response.
Last edited by oldkoolairbrush at Feb 24, 2009,