Okay, I've had my old Crate VC50 3x10 combo for a while, and I feel like I want to do some work on it now. It's 50w all tube, it has a great look, and it has a great sound. I have some questions:

1. As far as looks go, I'm currently scrubbing the piss out of the tolex. 10+ years of scuffs, dirt, ect. is going to take some time, but I'm sure I can get it out. The grill cover is surprisingly in perfect condition. However, the corners, knobs, and vents are pretty bad. I know for a fact I at least need new corners, but the rest I can work with. Where can I find new corners, and how will I know if they will fit?

2. Tubes. I just took this guy apart and found that it has 4x 7025/12AX7WA tubes && 4x EL84/6BQ5 tubes. Now personally, I have no idea what that means. I do know that after 10+ years, I'm sure they need replaced. What should I get? Do more expensive tubes sound that much better? And would I need to bias them??

3. Speakers. This amp has speakers that say on the back "All Tube Vintage Club", "Crate Amplifiers, St. Louis MO, USA", and "E10 - 16(omega sign), Paper Former, Vintage Series". Again, being engineeringly retarded, I have no idea what this means. What I need to know is; are they good, and if not, what would be a good upgrade for them?

4. Foot switch. Where the hell do you buy foot switches for retired amps!?!?!? This has driven me insane forever, and I would really like to know.

Thanks for anybody who reads through that mess to help me.
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/Top Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Bump.
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Number two:

Go buy 4 12AX7s and 4 EL84s (2 matched sets).

Here: http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-ecc83.html
And here: http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-el84.html

Number three: if it sounds good, who cares?

Number four: what type of jack dopes it have for the pedal, and how many functions does it serve?
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
1: Hardware store, amp shop on internet

2: Buy the same tubes that are in there already

4: Isn't a footswitch for say a marshall the same footswitch for a fender? Im not to sure but you could be able to just buy any footswitch and it'll work, i don't know whats inside of them...

5: Wait a bit, not everyone is experts on these things, you may not get an answer for a few days, no need to bump it after a few hours...
Quote by ErikShep
1. As far as looks go, I'm currently scrubbing the piss out of the tolex. 10+ years of scuffs, dirt, ect. is going to take some time, but I'm sure I can get it out. The grill cover is surprisingly in perfect condition. However, the corners, knobs, and vents are pretty bad. I know for a fact I at least need new corners, but the rest I can work with. Where can I find new corners, and how will I know if they will fit?
Contact Crate through Loud Technologies (the parent company of Ampeg, Crate, and more) You might be able to purchase exact replacements through them. Else, hardware store, home center, or an on-line parts house like Allparts, Mojo, Hoffman, or other.

Quote by ErikShep
2. Tubes. I just took this guy apart and found that it has 4x 7025/12AX7WA tubes && 4x EL84/6BQ5 tubes. Now personally, I have no idea what that means. I do know that after 10+ years, I'm sure they need replaced. What should I get? Do more expensive tubes sound that much better? And would I need to bias them??
I'm not convinced you need new tubes. I have some tubes that are 40+ years old that sound great. If you do replace the output tubes (they work the hardest, so more likely if anything needs replacing it will be them) buy JJ.

Quote by ErikShep
3. Speakers. This amp has speakers that say on the back "All Tube Vintage Club", "Crate Amplifiers, St. Louis MO, USA", and "E10 - 16(omega sign), Paper Former, Vintage Series". Again, being engineeringly retarded, I have no idea what this means. What I need to know is; are they good, and if not, what would be a good upgrade for them?
10 years if the climate is humid and the paper cones have experienced a lot of stress could mean poor performance at high volumes. What you replace them with depends on your musical tastes and your budget. I've been more than happy with the Eminence speakers I've used. You may want to consider them, but if money is important, there are cheaper options.

Quote by ErikShep
4. Foot switch. Where the hell do you buy foot switches for retired amps!?!?!? This has driven me insane forever, and I would really like to know.
It depends on the amp. I'm 90% certain this one requires a simple 2 button footswitch with no LEDs and a stereo plug. Easy to find just about anywhere.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
something else to keep in mind is that you will probably need to replace all the electrolytic caps in the amp. Electrolytics tend to go bad after 2 years of no use. If you do use the amp they last a lot longer but they still need replaced every 5 to 10 years.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks for all the input? 2 q's....what a Electrolytic??? And what effect do the speakers/tubes have on the tone of my amp? Would buying a certain type for a certain genre be a good idea?
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
an electrolytic capacitor is a type of capacitor that is used to filter the DC current and make it more consistent. If you don't know what an electrolytic is then you need to take the amp to a tech and have them do the work for you. It's a dangerous job and if you make a mistake you can die so it is a job for somebody who knows what they are doing. Replacing electrolitics isn't cheep but it's something that needs to be done. If you don't keep the electrolitics fresh then your amp will eat fuses and power tubes for breakfast and your tone will be noisy with very little power.
electrolytic capacitor =

But like cord said, you can die so take it to a tech if your unsure/ no experience etc
I will look into getting that done. Another question. My amp has Sovtek tubes in them. Would it be a good idea to buy the same brand? And what are the different types of testing on tube depot for?
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
^tube brands will change the responsiveness and tone of your amp. Different brands are better suited to different types of music so if you are serious about good tone you will buy a few sets of tubes and see when you like best. You can always sell the sets you didn't like on ebay so that expence isn't that huge.

There is an everything you need to know about tubes thread somewhere in the guitar accessories forum. You should go find it.