hey all, ive had my guitar for a while but some stuff happened and i got the same one only with a floyd rose trem and since ive gotten it i havent had to change the strings (my other one didnt have a floyd rose) so i was just wondering how i should change the strings, also im gonna clean my fretboard. so should i use a pen or somethin to keep the trem up while the strings are off?
Last edited by Shredder Shane at Feb 23, 2009,
1. Undo your locking nut bolts and remove them

2. Loosen the strings

3. Undo your string locking screws

4. Change string

5. Move on to next string

You can change them all at once but you need to block the trem first so that your springs dont pop out. Trust me its a bitch to get it back in when this happens.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
there's a sticky on this, but change the strings one at a time, or if you wanna take them all off, block the tremelo for the time being and restring it.
check out a youtube vid for your first time and do it along with the vid
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Shredder Shane
what do you mean by "block the trem"?

Meaning put something underneath of your floyd, make sure its sturdy enough to hold it, then push the bar down like you normally would to use it and put the block underneath

EDIT: The first time I did it I used 9 volt batteries
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Shredder Shane
what do you mean by "block the trem"?

so the tremelo keeps equal pressure on the springs. usually, a wood block is used...
Quote by randomhero93
so the tremelo keeps equal pressure on the springs. usually, a wood block is used...

Also when your done make sure you remove the block gently and not super quickly
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Also when your done make sure you remove the block gently and not super quickly

this

every time i tried typing "springs", I always accidentaly typed "strings" instead... lol idk why i mentioned this, it just shows how i suck at typing...
Quote by Shredder Shane
um would a pen work to block it, or wouldnt that be strong enough?

That wouldnt be strong enough to block it properly do you have some wood or 9 volt batteries?

You dont have to block it you can change the strings one at a time without blocking
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
i would do that but my fretboard needs cleaning pretty bad, i got 1 9 volt ill look around im sure i can find somethin
sorry to bother ya again, but should i put the strings on backwards? i seen youitube vids of ppl doin it like that, and thats how they were already...
Quote by Shredder Shane
sorry to bother ya again, but should i put the strings on backwards? i seen youitube vids of ppl doin it like that, and thats how they were already...

You can do it if you want to I usually use the ball end for the floyd side since its kinda like braided at that end so I like to have more strength in the string there.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Shredder Shane
k, thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Not a problem always love ot help my fellow guitarists, any other questions you can always shoot me a pm ive made a ton of floyd mistakes and ive learned alot each time.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
k, so i took all the strings off and cleaned the fretboard but as i was putting the 6ths string on(i did that one first) it was too tight and broke, any advice? only got one full set of strings left, power slinky ernie balls, the kind that i tried first were regular.

EDIT: also sent u a pm leathal
Quote by Shredder Shane
k, so i took all the strings off and cleaned the fretboard but as i was putting the 6ths string on(i did that one first) it was too tight and broke, any advice? only got one full set of strings left, power slinky ernie balls, the kind that i tried first were regular.

EDIT: also sent u a pm leathal

Replied good luck like I said Im more than happy to give anyone advice
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Shredder Shane
no pms yet, any advice?

My suggestion is to check what the note is on your tuner it may be too high. But put the other strings on first and see if that doesnt fix your problem. Make sure the bridge is level as well if you look at it from the side there should be no slant to it at all.

Also pm's usually show up on your profile page but not on the forums idk why.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112