i dont know if here or GB&C is the right forum, but im trying here first. so satruday night at my show i had a beer fall ontop of my amp and break. its a fender hot rod deluxe and it basically drained all over the front and back of the amp, and the control plate had beer resting on it, and i can only assume it seeped inside. the sound cut out, but the amp didnt short out. i quickly turned it off and didnt turn it back on. im probably going to wait till tomorrow to even try to turn it on, if not longer than that to make sure its completely dry. im going to take a hair drier to it to try and really make sure all that can be vlown out is.

but what are some things i can look for now, with it off to see if i can spot what might have (god i hope not) broke in it? ive had the thing for 2 damn months.. **** FUKC ****. should i pull the back panel off or not even bother yet?
Pull the back panel off, definitely. You need to look inside and try to soak up any liquid. A good thing to do (sounds weird) is to dump uncooked rice all over it. It'll soak up liquid faster than the amp's components, and you can vacuum it up later.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
thanks i'll at least pull the back off and hair drier it. im not sure if i want to put rice in there. i've done it with cell phones(put the phone in a bag of rice to suck water out) so i know it works, but i dont wana get rice dust in the amp on top of st. bernardus abt 12.
The issue with beer will be the residue it leaves when it dries. Waters not such a big deal as everything is gone when it dries. There could be all sorts of nasty stuff inside that will be hard to clean out. Definatly dont turn it on until you check inside.
Do it immediately, but don't touch anything inside the chassis unless you have to.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Get a can of contact cleaner and use it to clean the circuit board. As was mentioned, don't poke around and touch anything in the amp if you don't know what you're doing.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
ok pulled the back off, im not sure if anyone is familiar as to how a hot rod deluxe looks on the inside but its got the main circuit board going vertical and the one with the tubes connected to it is under it, horizontal. the circuit board that the tubes plug into had a pool of dried beer on it. so i dabbed and dabbed and lightly wiped it all off until it wasnt sticky anymore, checked all the connections i could without pulling anything apart, made sure the tubes wernt blown, dried it all off real carefully, crossed my fingers, plugged it in, powered it on, and... and.. IT WORKS. god im relieved. ive had it for 2 months and my bass players(who i dont blame, but it was SOMEONES beer) beer falls all over it. im still gonna wait a day or 2 before giving it a good playing, but it powered on, warmed up, and made the correct volume at the right settings, reverb works, didnt try the gains, but im not trying to risk it tonight.
i love happy endings .

i blew my RM50 last year at the end of December just from a random component blowing and ended up waiting like 8 or 9 months to ship it to a warranty place to get it fixed....i was so ecstatic when i got it back a couple months ago! be glad you didn't have to even wait a week lol.

happy for you!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
yeah this thing, although not the nicest tube amp out there, really grew on me fast. i really really like its sound. i play mostly clean through it, and when i do use the gain, its around 2 or 3 so it sounds clean till i really get on it and have it break up a little.
i would unleash the focking FURY on my bassist if he spilled any type of liquid on my amp....
congrats on no broken amp
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i would unleash the focking FURY on my bassist if he spilled any type of liquid on my amp....
congrats on no broken amp

it would have accomplished nothing... believe me i was pissed, but he wouldnt have been able ot pay for it, and we all had our drinks up there, his was just the one who's fell. besides he's the best musician in the band, so he gets away with more than us... haha. but thats, im still on a high from it from last night.
If it were me, I'd just turn it on and see if it works. You might be lucky. If it doesn't you're not going to know the extent of the damage. Electronics hate cold beer. If the amp doesn't work properly you'll have to go to the doctor.
AL
^someone didn't read through the thread before posting.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Lucky man you are! LOL

Amps don't usually return from a beer spill. Must not have gotten inside very much.

Beer can be sticky, and so before pushing the amp too much I would check the PCB really close for any traces of any stains or liquid at all. It may be working now, but who knows...once you move the amp, if there is any beer in there at all, it may shift and short something.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
i gave it a pretty good cleaning. the PCB isnt sticky anymore and the spill seemed localized. im not going to push it for a few more days though, and i might pop it open again today to check on it to be extra sure. i think the fact that the main board was vertical and looks like the beer only ran down the back panel (the tolex part) and missed that PCB and onto the PCB the tubes connect to avioded me burning out any resistors/capasitors etc. but time will tell.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Get a can of contact cleaner and use it to clean the circuit board. As was mentioned, don't poke around and touch anything in the amp if you don't know what you're doing.
^The correct answer. And clean all the pots real good too by squirting into any visible holes.
I found it at RadioShack last time, but that was a bit expensive. Wal Mart?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
man i'll check walmart but i hate going there not knowing exactly what im looking for. i feel like a damn mouse in a maze trying to find a piece of cheese
It'll probably be in the electronics back by the computer stuff.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86