Despite the objections of some youth prevention advocates, a New Jersey Senate committee approved legislation calling for legalizing the medical use of marijuana, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reported Dec. 16.

The Senate Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens Committee approved the legislation after hearing testimony from chronically ill individuals who advocated for the use of marijuana to ease their suffering. "There is too much pain, too much hurt, and too much suffering, and we can do something about it," said Bill Baroni, a state senator who voted in favor of the legislation.

Calling marijuana an "illegal miracle," Charles Kwiatkowski, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, helped sway state legislators. "It's not right there are 13 states I could live in, in less pain," Kwiatkowski said.

Labeled the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act, the legislation would apply to patients suffering from a debilitating disease or chronic illnesses that causes "wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, seizures and severe and persistent muscle spasms."

Patients would need to get a doctor's recommendation and signoff from the state Department of Health and Senior Services to participate in the program and legally possess up to six plants and one ounce of marijuana. The legislation also provides for the creation of "compassion centers" that would grow and distribute marijuana to patients.

Citing concern about the effect legalized marijuana would have on children and young people, Joyce Nalepka, president of Drug Free Kids: America's Challenge, urged New Jersey legislators to vote against the legislation. "Can it be that declaring -- by popular legislative opinion -- a dangerous drug to be medicine increases use by making it more acceptable?" Nalepka asked the committee.

The bill (S119) passed by a 6-1 vote with two abstentions, and awaits a full vote in the 40-member state Senate.
Give us a link you god damn pothead
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Good luck catching a
debilitating disease or chronic illnesses that causes "wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, seizures and severe and persistent muscle spasms."

so you can use it legally.
As though it matters.
well, this really isn't anything. when they legalize it to possess for everyone in the US, then we're talking.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
^And we were so proud of ourselves for decriminalizing it. Cali just has to one-up us.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!

EDIT:
Quote by therescue06

Patients would need to get a doctor's recommendation and signoff from the state Department of Health and Senior Services to participate in the program and legally possess up to six plants and one ounce of marijuana.

what happens when their 6 plant yield waaaaay more that an ounce. this seems somewhat illogical to me.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by happytimeharry
In related news, A bill is being introduced that would legalize and tax it in California.

There are bills like that all the time(I think). They never get passed because the State Congress would never get reelected.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by iantheman

EDIT:

what happens when their 6 plant yield waaaaay more that an ounce. this seems somewhat illogical to me.

Don't harvest all at once.
That way, you will have a limited supply of the drug in immediately usable form, and plants ready to harvest when you need to.
alright, that's another step in the right direction.

Quote by happytimeharry
In related news, A bill is being introduced that would legalize and tax it in California.

now we're talking. if only it had a chance...

in the short term, that would absolutely do wonders for our economy. i'm not going to try and analyze the long term effects.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by MightyAl
Don't harvest all at once.
That way, you will have a limited supply of the drug in immediately usable form, and plants ready to harvest when you need to.

with 6 plants, you'll definitely still have more than one ounce at a time.
EDIT: and it's a tone easier to have all the plants at the same stage at the same time.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Legalise it properly, not just for medical use.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Mockstairwell
There are bills like that all the time(I think). They never get passed because the State Congress would never get reelected.

Yeah I realize it doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of passing, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
And this is news...why?

As the kid said, there are 13 other states who have done this already. We just passed the same law up in Michigan too.

Though I am glad they're letting chronic, debilitating disease sufferers use it, I'll be more excited when they decriminalize it for everyone.
Quote by Meths
Legalise it properly, not just for medical use.

Doing that in one stage is political suicide.
And just to let y'all know, decriminalization is a step in the right direction, but it won't do any of the good things that legalization will do. There will still be marijuana drug cartels and it will do nothing for the economy. However, legalization will save lives, create jobs, and give the government a lot of money that they had previously been spending on the Drug War.

/thinksthisistherightthread
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Mockstairwell
And just to let y'all know, decriminalization is a step in the right direction, but it won't do any of the good things that legalization will do. There will still be marijuana drug cartels and it will do nothing for the economy. However, legalization will save lives, create jobs, and give the government a lot of money that they had previously been spending on the Drug War.

/thinksthisistherightthread

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde