So my band is a seven piece with me on guitar a keyboard/occasional guitar player a sax player a trombone player a bass player a trumpeter and a drummer, and we basically play like funk jazz stuff.

I'm not huge into jazz, but the drummer and bass player are close friends of mine so it's fun, kinda.

Basically the keyboard player likes to hop on guitar occasionally when he has an idea for a song. When he does this however, I always get pushed off to the side and end up playing barely heard backup rhythm for him. We'll both play the same parts, but half the time he'll tell me to turn down and he'll turn up. Also when i bring in toys like my wah wah, he'll usually ask to "borrow" them and then end up turning his guitar into the lead instrument.
Even when he's on keyboards, I end up playing filler parts.

Is this jsut me having an ego problem, and if so what should i do?

Also, if this is him being rude to me, should i quit or talk to him or what?
Tell the guy that plays guitar every now and then to stop stealing the limelight from the guy that plays guitar all the time.
Is there a way I can go about doing it without offending him, cuz all i can think of is telling him to **** off or something.
speak up.....ego schmego, speak up and be heard......if its just for fun then it shouldn't bother you or anyone when something is said, but if you're wanting to be serious start a project.
Quote by njm0830

Is this jsut me having an ego problem, and if so what should i do?

i think its him having that problem. anyway, it sucks but... cheer up and try to find a way to talk to him, by making an point of what you do in the band is not just backup,
a band is a band and needs all its members to their full performance
just be nice when you tell him...if he takes it badly ...say **** off b/c he's a prick no matter what
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
and also shred his face off
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by jdF250
speak up.....ego schmego, speak up and be heard......if its just for fun then it shouldn't bother you or anyone when something is said, but if you're wanting to be serious start a project.

Yeah that was my other idea for "handling" it. I was thinking maybe just finding people who play music that i really love and starting that project and telling the people in the other group that i play with that it's been great but i want to focus on this for a while.
If you arent really into jazz then start looking for a new band that plays what you want to play so then if this band works out, great but if not youll have a back up plan. In the mean-time, dont let him use your equipment, you brought it there so you could use it, no? and maybe just tell him hes drowning you out next time he turns up. If all else fails, keep that pimp hand strong.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Just point out that you are the lead/rhythm guitarist, and as such (A) he should stick to the keys and let you do your job, and (B) It's only fir you ahve an oppurtunity to how your skills as he does his. If he don't like it, take it to a band meeting and threaten to quit, cuase in all likeliehood its not going o be worth the aggravation to you.
yeah...
is it a problem if i want to kick him off lead guitar if he wrote the song? Because he came up with the chord progression...
Quote by njm0830
yeah...
is it a problem if i want to kick him off lead guitar if he wrote the song? Because he came up with the chord progression...

No, it shouldn't be. Just because he wrote the song doesn't mean he gets to play lead. It's fine if he wants to write a song on guitar, but when you actual play it you should be playing lead. As long as you're the guitar player you should play the main guitar part on every song - he can start a new band if he wants to be the guitarist.
If he's writing better parts, defer to him. When it comes to gear, tell him to get his own, because if he breaks it, you're damn right he isn't going to be willing to pay for repairs.
Just talk to him about it. Say that you want to be more a lead player when it come to guitar, point out that he's already guitar/keyboard. Or come up with an agreement where you switch playing lthe main guitar part on diffrent songs.
It all depends on how you want to look at the situation.

On the one hand it could look like you're being pushed out of the limelight, on another hand though it also adds variety to the set because different guitarists play solos differently and have different sounds.
I really do think though that the other guy ought to at least get his own effects peddles.
Is what this guy is doing an advantage to the overall set or is he just on an ego trip that is damaging the set?
Similarly, are you wanting to do all the solos because you feel it sounds better or are you yourself simply not willing to give up the spotlight for purely egotistical reasons?
Remember, a band is about the overall sound and what is best for the band, not about an individual member, so have a good think about it keeping this in mind and see if there really is a problem before you act on it.

If you think there is a problem, quietly ask the rest of the band what they think of the situation, if they would rather have you play the solos because they feel his solos are detrimental to the band, then you should 'all' say something to him. But you need at least half of the band on your side so that you don't appear to be the 'odd one out' and therefore someone who's making waves for no reason, which makes someone be seen as a 'problem' in a band.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 24, 2009,