Hey guys,

So I just got a new job which means I will be buying a new amp soon. I'm looking for a tube combo amp, and since I still need to save money for school, my budget is only about $500 (guessing), maybe a bit more if I can sell my current amp which I hardly use.

I play mostly classic rock-type stuff, the heaviest stuff I play would be stuff like Van Halen, Motley Crue, and Joe Satriani, so I don't need crazy metal br00talz distortion, but I do want versatility. I will mainly be using it to practice and record (by myself), but I want to be able to play with a drummer and use it for small gigs as well.

I'm going to some stores to try some out tomorrow, but I am also willing to go used, any help is appreciated.

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
6505+ 1x12 would be great for Van Halen and is about $550, their not selling yet i don't think but should be soon and are pretty versatile(coming from knowledge of the '05+ head)

edit: might be a bit more distortion wise than you need,
also check out the B-52 AT 1x12, little cheaper and a bit tamer
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Feb 23, 2009,
I'd say a Peavey Classic 30 or 50, depending on how much clean headroom you need. It's recommended often for a good reason.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by justinb904
6505+ 1x12 would be great for Van Halen and is about $550, their not selling yet i don't think but should be soon and are pretty versatile(coming from knowledge of the '05+ head)

edit: might be a bit more distortion wise than you need,
also check out the B-52 AT 1x12, little cheaper and a bit tamer

Too much distortion wouldn't be a big problem. How are the cleans on those?

And I have heard good things about the classic 30/50, I'll definitely try those.
I'd say the 6505 is way too much gain for classic rock.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Ok I'll definitely be trying the AT-112 and the Classic 30.

What would you guys think of a Peavey Valveking 112 and using the extra cash for a new speaker? I hear doing that really opens up the amp.

Also, any suggestions for picking up a used amp in that price range?
Quote by edbert
Ok I'll definitely be trying the AT-112 and the Classic 30.

What would you guys think of a Peavey Valveking 112 and using the extra cash for a new speaker? I hear doing that really opens up the amp.

Also, any suggestions for picking up a used amp in that price range?

If you're gonna try the C30, no reason really to use a VK; they're a step down, but UG seems to like them.

I, however, loathe them.

I would try a Vox AC15/AC30, Peavey Classic 30, and a Fender Twin Reverb with a good overdrive.
I've played fender tube amps before and loved the cleans, however I might need to save up a bit more and I'm worried about getting a good lead sound without investing in an OD pedal.

Versatility is very important to me, I want to be able to do both blues and hard rock/80s metal. Any other suggestions?