hey, well, plain and simple,
i don't know **** all about improvising lol, i learned all kinds of things, i even got sweep picking down pretty good, but i SUCK at improvising, anyone out there that can give me some tips, suggestions etc?
also if someone would help explain the pentatonic scales it would be appreciated
learn theory mostly scales and keys and such
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
-have your guitar in hand while listening to music

-figure out patterns, licks, melodies, solos, chords that go with said music.

-next (or do it before hand, either way is good) figure out what key the song is in.

-now you know a bunch of licks, solos, chords, progressions, etc, etc in a specific key.

-do this with many many songs until you relate stuff from different songs that share the same key.

next you can transponse what you know from one key to any other key by moving your root note along the fretboard to any of your choice.

-whenever you jam with anyone, you can now figure out the key they are playing in and proceed to enhance the jam with anything you can think of in that key.

-when you have this down analyze songs for key changes, notes that fall outside of keys and more complicated stuff...then youll be able to do that yourself.

-basically learn by absorption....

IMPORTANT: absorb music that is, well, musical. Stuff like heavy metal or punk is awesome to learn brootal riffage and solos, but for harmonizing with other people I would suggest stuff like blues, funk, psychedelic, classic rock, indie, acoustic rock.
K. So, for improvising you can start with pentatonic scales. This is the pentatonic scale shape. This one is in the key of A becuase the first note is an A

--------------------------------5--8-------------
--------------------------5--8-------------------
--------------------5--7-------------------------
--------------5--7-------------------------------
-------5--7--------------------------------------
5--8---------------------------------------------

It is a pretty simple shape. Now if you would want to solo in the key of E you would put the first note (in the scale above it is 5 on the E string) of the scale at the E on the E string.
Now once you get the hang of this you can start adding some parts to the scale. This is the one I came up with.

-----------------------------------------5-7-8--------------
---------------------------------5-7-8----------------------
-------------------------5-6-7------------------------------
-----------------5-6-7--------------------------------------
---------5-6-7----------------------------------------------
-5-7-8------------------------------------------------------

Some songs wont work with this kind of scale so you might have to do something like this.

-----------------------------------------5-6-8----------------------
---------------------------------5-6-8------------------------------
-------------------------5-6-7--------------------------------------
-----------------5-6-7----------------------------------------------
---------5-6-7------------------------------------------------------
-5-6-8--------------------------------------------------------------

Now once you get the hang of this you can start working on this scale that I worked out. It is based around a pentatonic scale but gets more complicated at the B and High E strings.

-----------------------------------------5-7-8-10-12-13-15-17-18-20-22-24-----------------
---------------------------------5-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------5-7-8--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------5-7-8------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------5-7-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-5-7-8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in this^ scale, all of the notes that are on the high E string can also be on the B string. So the scale could look like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------5-7-8-10-12-13-15-17-18-20-22-24-----------
-------------------------5-7-8---------------------------------------------------------
-----------------5-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------
---------5-7-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-5-7-8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you can also learn some arpeggios and incorporate those into soloing. I hope this all made sense.
Learn to play the blues.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by skylerjames13
hey, well, plain and simple,
i don't know **** all about improvising lol, i learned all kinds of things, i even got sweep picking down pretty good, but i SUCK at improvising, anyone out there that can give me some tips, suggestions etc?
also if someone would help explain the pentatonic scales it would be appreciated

well all i really did was played along to CDs everyday. i wouldnt copy any solos, id make them all up as i go. learn how to use scale sequences too. just do a search on youtube or on google for scale sequences or pentatonic sequences. they will help when trying to sound musical while playing faster solos as well as just getting you used to playing within a scale.