Alright, to cut to the point, I love semihollows, and, now that I may have a job, I've switched to looking at Gibson. This has led me to be looking between two, both of the same design essentially. The ES-335($2,000) and the ES-339($1,800). The ES-339 is the solidbody sized semihollow Gibson overhyped(like they do with everything XP) they released about the same time as the original Robot guitars. I like this since it means it's not as big and not as annoying to wear(I like guitars I can dance with and not worry about), but at the same time this leaves me with a few questions.

1. Does this drain the classic semihollow tone or was the claim it doesn't just Gibson hype?

2. Does this reduce feedback(I'm a fan of the stuff, and as such I'd like the guitar to retain it's ability to easily produce singing feedback, something I love with semihollows and hollowbodies), or can you still get it easily?

Any and all answers are much appreciated.

Edit; Rickerbacker 330 is also a consideration if it can get similarly bluesy and such.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 23, 2009,
Well on this side of the Atlantic the hype certainly didn't pay off - I've yet to see a 339 in person in the UK, and the price seem to drop constantly everytime I look.
If you're paying good money for good guitar - in this case being a Gibson - then I wouldn't except compromise. There's simply no way a 339 will provide the same scope and tonality of a 335 no matter how much Gibson tries to convince you otherwise.
I remember playing a vintage 60s 335 a few years back and it was monumental guitar that really was on a league on its own, and I'm sure the recent reissues aspire to the same sound and feel.
The thing with Gibson is, and this is coming from a Gibson LP Standard owner, I've always found their recent strive towards pushing boundaries questionable. The 339 is no exception. It's relatively new and an untested formula. The 335 on the otherhand is a tried and tested classic - simply put, you know what you're getting on a 335.
I can't really form a firm opinion on a 339 simply because I've never played one, but by judging on the high standards set by the 335, it'll have to be really special to be even close to achieving what it claims to be.
Get the 335 and be done with it. Atleast you know you won't regret it.
eat sleep play guitar
Hmm...well, what about between a 335 and a Rickenbacker 330?

Edit; Ah, fuck it, I'm getting the 335.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 23, 2009,
I have a Gibson 345, like a 335, but with a varitone switch. It is a wonderful guitar!
I have played both guitars extensively. The 335 has more low end and the 339 sounds tighter and brighter. Oh, but they both sound like semi-hollow guitars, because they are!

The sound difference is also quite negligible, seeing as I bought the 339 for it's lovely semi-hollow tone. It's weight and body size also feel more natural than the 335, which is heavy and big, and this is coming from a tall guy.

First of all, the standard 335 sells for 2400$ to 3100$, so keep that in mind.
The 339 is much cheaper, and you are getting a better guitar, IMO.

Now my answers.

1. No, it simply changes it.

2. Oh, it feeds back, but it doesn't get out of control, like the 335. It is controllable feedback, not non-existant.

Oh, and what they said about the memphis tone circuit is true, it really does retain the highs at low volumes.

PS: Remember, don't order one online. You'll have to try many guitars to find a good one, be it a 335 or 339, but once you do, you won't be disappointed.
Quote by Mike!
I have played both guitars extensively. The 335 has more low end and the 339 sounds tighter and brighter. Oh, but they both sound like semi-hollow guitars, because they are!

The sound difference is also quite negligible, seeing as I bought the 339 for it's lovely semi-hollow tone. It's weight and body size also feel more natural than the 335, which is heavy and big, and this is coming from a tall guy.

First of all, the standard 335 sells for 2400$ to 3100$, so keep that in mind.
The 339 is much cheaper, and you are getting a better guitar, IMO.

Now my answers.

1. No, it simply changes it.

2. Oh, it feeds back, but it doesn't get out of control, like the 335. It is controllable feedback, not non-existant.

Oh, and what they said about the memphis tone circuit is true, it really does retain the highs at low volumes.

PS: Remember, don't order one online. You'll have to try many guitars to find a good one, be it a 335 or 339, but once you do, you won't be disappointed.

Hmm...well, do you have any clips in your profile of the 339 I could use to get an idea of it's tone?

Quote by SuperJoop
ES-355

larry carlton ... room 355

I can't afford a 355. It's a damn miracle I can afford more than $1,000 for a guitar. ><