So im looking at getting a new strat and its either between a normal standard one or the american standard. The american is about double the price so im just wondering what makes it better. Im going to be changing the pickups and controls so is there any worth in getting the american? does it feel/play better?
Well the regular one is made in Mexico, here we refer to them as MIMs.
I'm no Fender Expert but I believe the American has nicer electronics and wood.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
It is better quality in every aspect.
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
It's crafted from higher quality wood, I BELIEVE, and yeah, the hardware and electronics are just better.

Also, there's a nice lacquer on the fretboard, and the hand-rolled fingerboard edges.

Something about the MIA's just felt better in comparison to MIM's. However, the MIM line of instruments are fantastic for the price. Personally, I think my MIA Standard Strat plays much nicer than any MIM I've tried.

There's also the MIJ (Japan) and MIK (Korea) line. But I think those are harder to come by. Never played one, but apparently a number of them are on par with or even surpass the MIA line.
Personally, I've had my MIM rewired professionally with boutique-grade pots and wire, and to be honest, after wiring, a more stable bridge, a 22nd fret and a location of origin being a few miles farther north, I find no differences.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
American is better built than the Mexican ones.

Better sound quality too.
With The Price increase of the Fender Strats, about 600 for a Sunburst strat, is that worth 600 dollars?? IS it better than buying an Epiphone?? I wanna play a mix of rock and Eric Clapton stuff..
Quote by freshflip1322
With The Price increase of the Fender Strats, about 600 for a Sunburst strat, is that worth 600 dollars?? IS it better than buying an Epiphone?? I wanna play a mix of rock and Eric Clapton stuff..

...Better is not applicable when comparing something like Epiphone and Fender. Both are very different sounds and feels.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Just played both of them not 3 hrs ago. The american is far and above the better axe. Fit, finish, feel, tone.... Even if you upgraded pickups and added every little goodie you could think of to the MIM it wouldn't be as good as the american standard.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I went to a music store to try out both: a Standard (MIM) and an American Standard (MIA). Aside from the polished neck and lacquered fretboard on the MIA, I didn't notice any difference. Meaning, I couldn't hear a difference between the two (and sound is arguably the most important feature of a guitar).

Regardless of everyone's opinions, I'd try them both out like I did and make a decision for yourself.

IMO, MIA models aren't twice as better as the Mexican ones (but they are twice the price almost)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix