OK, I've been playing for about 4-5 months, got the bug good so I'm sure I will be sticking with it for awhile, so I'm upgrading equipment. I've already upgraded to a Gibson LP Studio which I love, but I'm struggling with the amp upgrade.

I started off with a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. Nice sound, loved all the available effects, but after a week I got sick of having to turn the power switch off and on for 5 minutes until it decided it wanted to start (and yes I did the firmware update).

I returned the Vypyr and I intended to get a Vox VT30, since I've read good things about them, and when I initially tested amps the Vox and the Vypyr were my 2 top choices. But after playing around and still liking the idea of a tube amp, I talked myself into getting a Valveking 112 instead.

Now I'm thinking this might have been a mistake. This is mainly a practice amp - I can't see myself gigging anytime soon - and this amp is way powerful and to top it off, doesn't have a headphone jack for practicing at night (after my kids go to bed). I think I might have overreached with the VK. I kind of miss having the effects too, although that's not a deal killer, and I know I can always add a multi-fx pedal later.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to go - keep the Valveking and just figure out a solution for practicing at night, or return it and get something like the VT30 which seems like it might be more suitable for this point in my non-career.

Any suggestions?

BTW - I'm still learning, but I mostly play classic rock, punk, grunge, so I don't need insane distortion, just a nice chunky/gritty sound. Cleans are also important to me, since I play a lot of acoustic-type stuff.
vt is a good practice amp. or try some of vox's amps that are fractional wattage tube amps. i forget the name atm.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
why do you have a gibo after 5 months?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90

When I started playing, I bought a cheap Squire strat/Fender Champ combo off craigslist, just to make sure I wanted to pursue it. Then plan was always to upgrade to better stuff when I was sure I was going to stick with it. Plus, my 40th birthday is right around the corner, and the guitar is going to be a present from my wife.

And when we went looking at guitars, I played about 15 different guitars and that was the one I liked best.
Last edited by txmikester at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by nowa90

Worthless post

TS: I'd go with the vox personally, the VK is really just proving you can have a tube amp for uber cheap. For your needs the Vox blows it away and sounds good as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
vox vt, or used line 6 flextone. theyr great practice amps and if you try finding one used, you wont regret it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by ChrisN
Another suggestion:
If you really wanted to keep the VK, you could get something like one of these for the late night playing.

all that does is make your amp clean
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Did I put the wrong one?

Edit: Argh damnit! I retract my suggestion.
404: Sig not found.
Yeah, I have a cube for home and its okay on speaker and handy on 'phones. The Aux input is really nice for learning from CD or MP3, too. Maybe sell the VK, as its not really the quality to do your LP justice and get a cube for practice. Then, when you are ready to play out, gigging or with a band in practice, one of the Fender valve amps will do all you need. Most of the mid range Fender combos seem to bring out the best in Gibsons and hauling a head and cab(s) around is no joke unless you are in a pro band gigging bigger venues regularly.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by txmikester
Now that looks like a great option, if I decide to keep the VK. Thanks for the tip.

no problem
Quote by Lurcher
Yeah, I have a cube for home and its okay on speaker and handy on 'phones. The Aux input is really nice for learning from CD or MP3, too. Maybe sell the VK, as its not really the quality to do your LP justice and get a cube for practice. Then, when you are ready to play out, gigging or with a band in practice, one of the Fender valve amps will do all you need. Most of the mid range Fender combos seem to bring out the best in Gibsons and hauling a head and cab(s) around is no joke unless you are in a pro band gigging bigger venues regularly.

i second that motion!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
OK, I picked up the VT30 - not really thrilled with it. It sounds nice and all, but - I think I was on the right track with the Valve King, as far as getting away from a modeling amp. Something just doesn't feel right about taking my Les Paul and running it through a modeller.

I think what I want is just good, rich, clean tone with the option for a good amount of "bite" from the distortion. Remember - classic rock, punk, no metal. The hardest stuff I ever play is Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins. And if I need more fuzz later on, I can start looking at pedals. For night practice, I'll just get one of those headphone amps.

So I'm thinking something like a 15-20w tube amp would do the trick. I'm thinking about the following:

- Found a good deal on a like-new Orange Tiny Terror. That looks like a pretty nice little amp from the videos I've seen, although I haven't found anywhere locally I can go try it out.

- The Egnator Rebel 20 looks like a solid option as well. It's a little bit of a stretch for me (would prefer to stay closer to $700 if possible), but I could go that extra $150 if that's the best option.

- The Fender Blues Jr. looks like a nice option too, and would certainly be more budget friendly.

Any thoughts on the above, or any other suggestions in the $600-700 (more or less) price range?
Quote by txmikester

Any suggestions?

BTW - I'm still learning, but I mostly play classic rock, punk, grunge, so I don't need insane distortion, just a nice chunky/gritty sound. Cleans are also important to me, since I play a lot of acoustic-type stuff.

I'll suggest you try a Blackstar HT-5.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Wait wait wait wait!

Instead of buying a new amp, get an equalizer pedal... they really make the VK a squillion times better.

The MXR M-108 is great for really improving the amp, and plus it'll work for your amp quieting needs (turn the gain and volume sliders to -12, really useful for quiet practice)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^That, and the VK must have new speaker to sound good.

Classic 30 is a great amp no question but may not work so well at lower volumes. Same for VK really. I was going to suggest a SuperChamp but if your no into modellers then no sense going that route. Blackstar HT-5 might work real well too.

Another option would be to look for a really good amp on Craigslist. Like in the $400 range and then possibly getting a Multi-Effects pedal that has a headphone out <flameblock> and then you could add effects in when needed. They work 'OK' on tube amps. I use mine for late night jamming with headphones.

Just more food for thought.
Classic 30
Blackstar HT-5
or the tiny terror you saw used - although I think the TT only comes in a head version and therefore you will need a cab to go along with it.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
No love for the Egnater? Most of the reviews I've seen are very good, and the clips I've seen sound great (with a LP especially).

I'm going to listen to the Egnater tonight.

The Classic 30 is nice - a friend of mine has one, but I'm afraid it will be too loud for my use. I can't find anyone that has the Blackstar's in stock.
i'd look at a line 6 flextone III

versatile as hell, i think it has a headphones jack, plenty effects and itll easily sounds as good as the VK at TV volumes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by txmikester
Isn't that a modeller?

Yes, a damn good one for the prices it sells for used. I've seen the flextone II's go for $250-300. Very versatile amp and has the headphone option you need.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
id try the blues junior. great amp in my opinion little exspensive for 15 watt but you do get what you pay for and since you dont want it to loud.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
id try the blues junior. great amp in my opinion little exspensive for 15 watt but you do get what you pay for and since you dont want it to loud.

Thanks. I definitely plan to try one tonight while I'm trying out the Egnater.
Went to GC last night and tried the Egnater, the Blues Jr., a Fender Hotrod, and an AC15. Oh, I also tried a Mesa Boogie combo - don't remember the model, but it was switchable between 5/25w and was just under $1200 (still way out of my price range).

I ended up getting the Egnater. For the money I was willing to spend ($600-700), I think it was the best sounding and most versatile. A close second was the Fender Hot Rod.

BTW - I think the people saying the Rebel is gimmicky either a) haven't played it b) are going by that horrible YouTube review (The Tone Guy or whatever his name is) and/or c) are bandwagoning.

The power knob and tube blending definitely make a difference - but only at higher volumes. At bedroom-level volume, you won't be able to notice any difference, but when you start cranking this thing up, changing the wattage knob makes a noticeable difference. The tube blending definitely changes the sound too at higher volumes, although it's pretty subtle, but if I can hear it, it's there, because it's not like I have a great ear or anything.

If you want to drive the people at GC crazy, try it for yourself - turn the volume up all the way and set the gain at 12 o'oclock and then start playing with the wattage and tube blending.
blackstar to a sexy 5 watt amp, which is loud enough for home ( its all tooob powered) , and they com ein head or combo....