So, this is my first post...and I was just wondering if I could get some help.

My g-string has terrible intonation. I've screwed the saddle back as far as possible, and it seems like it needs another half an inch to even get close. I know that the g is notoriously hard to get right, but it's annoying to the point where I mute it when I play it on some chords. I've even gotten the nut replaced (which actually helped a bit). Does anyone have any tips? I've heard I can tune the A to the a-string's harmonic or get a wound g-string, but I wanted to see if there's any other way to "fix" it.

Thanks
How much relief does your neck have? I know when the relief was too high on my strat I had to pull my saddles way back, straightening it out really helped.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
First I'd consider replacing the strings. Then get the action down to something nicely playable. Only then deal with the intonation.
One thing I've noticed about a lot of current guitars is that the popular jumbo frets are much higher than was normal years ago. Could it be that you press the string too firmly down to the fretboard when playing, but not when setting the intonation? My ancient '61 LP custom had very flat frets which helped me to play very lightly. Of course, they would have been no good for tapping but for classic rock playing were a dream.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I've done some truss rod adjustments, and so has a guitar tech, so I don't think it's the neck, though I could check again. Also, my strings are at a pretty good height, so I'm don't think it's that. I've tried playing as lightly as possible, but the problem is still there...e
earvana nut?

what type of bridge?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
make sure the saddle is flipped and pointing to the rear of the guitar.

and i agree that you need a new type of string or an earvana nut.

it should not be that off.
g or no g. i've got so many guitars. even the cheap ones can be intonated to near perfect.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I'm probably going to look at wound g-strings first...they are considerably cheaper.

Also, does an earvana nut make that much of a difference? If so, I'll have to look into one. Unfortunately, I had the tech do my last replacement, so I feel like I'd be lost trying to do it myself. How difficult is it to set up?
you have to look it up. but the guys that put them in (by a pro) say they make all the difference in the world.

try the other strings. flip the saddle, and try fretting the 12th and comparing it to the open string.
in case you were just comparing the open string to the harmonic.

but the way you describe how off it is, sounds like there's a huge problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

To be thorough, what do you mean by flip the saddle? Do you mean turn so the screws face the bridge rather than the pickups?

At first I thought it may be because I have a good ear, but other people have pointed it out. It's especially bad when played through an amp, because the g rings the loudest.

Also, thanks for the advice so far.
Quote by Renga488
Also, my strings are at a pretty good height,

Are you sure it's not so high that the string is riding further back in the nut? Look at the nut/string with a magnifying glass and fret a note, if you see any up and down string movement at the neck edge of the nut you're gonna have intonation problems.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
No the flipped saddle is where you take the little screw out and turn the saddle around so the bevel is facing the opposite way. Gives a little more adjustment this way. Also some TOM bridges have more adjustment than others. The gotoh TOM bridge has almost 2x much adjustment than the gibdson style TOM.
The G string isn't hard to dial in its usually the big E that sometimes need more room towards the tail of the guitar...However, since you have a tuneomatic, you can take the saddle piece (for that string) out and flip it around. That might help.
AL
Quote by Tackleberry
No the flipped saddle is where you take the little screw out and turn the saddle around so the bevel is facing the opposite way. Gives a little more adjustment this way. Also some TOM bridges have more adjustment than others. The gotoh TOM bridge has almost 2x much adjustment than the gibdson style TOM.

thanks

also, it's a good idea to look into a different bridge like suggested here.

because a bridge is easier to swap out as compared to a nut.

i just thought your guitar was pretty good already. unless i looked up the wrong one.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62