I bought my bass a couple days ago, and after playing with the strap on while sitting down, I've developed a pain in my left shoulder when I try to use it.

What can I do to stop the pain?
How wide is your strap? My bass strap is 3 inches wide and no probs. I think typical guitar straps are 1 1/2" and they suck for bass.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Link.JohnIrving at Feb 23, 2009,
If your sitting, the straps redundant.

Simple answer: If something hurts, stop doing it.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
How are you holding it that the strap hurts you sitting down? Do you have the thing slung up by your chin? Because if you're sitting down the weight should be on your leg, not your shoulder.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
that happened to me at first.. idk it went away after a bit
I pressed her thigh and death smiled

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
-John Lennon
when i play standing (electric guitar) my left arm goes a little numb for maybe 2 mins...just continue standing,it may just take a while getting used to the weight
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
when i play standing (electric guitar) my left arm goes a little numb for maybe 2 mins...just continue standing,it may just take a while getting used to the weight

What are you guys using, floss?

Buy wider straps and play with it hanging at a comfortable distance. Playing standing up should nNOT cause much discomfort.

P.S. If your shoulder or arm is going numb your cutting the circulation. If a limb ever gets cold or numb your cutting off some kind of blood flow and damaging the appendage.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200