Okay so I was watching this Underoath video of them in the studio and there's a part where they show the guitarist tracking and he gets the amp to feedback instantly. I want to know how to do this. I know it has something to do with volume level, gain and how close you are to the amp but when I try this it usually takes a few seconds for it to happen and when it does, it's always gradual.

Any tips?

Here's a link to the video if it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZpO3hxDBU&feature=related
It happens at about :56
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
There are just spots where you are in relation to your amp that give good feedback. There is also a pedal that gives instant feedback at any pitch you can play. Volume and gain are always helpful.

Looking at the video, it looks like he's very close to a loud amp with high gain.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
There are just spots where you are in relation to your amp that give good feedback. There is also a pedal that gives instant feedback at any pitch you can play. Volume and gain are always helpful.

Looking at the video, it looks like he's very close to a loud amp with high gain.

More info please?

I've got the same question. As a disciple of Glenn Branca and Sonic Youth, noise art makes me drool.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
It depends on so many factors. Most professional players have techs who walk around before shows and find where the good feeback spots are and mark them. You have to find them for your room/set up/ volume/ everything. It's not a sure thing, you just have to experiment. I rarely move my amp and I've found a few really good spots that I've marked off.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Fernandes sustainer or a sustainiac will work
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
craploads of volume
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I turn my amp up, engage my distortion pedal (although, gain is only at 1/4 to 1/2), and I can get infinite sustain immediately.
Feedback will follow if I move a bit closer - but not too close - to my amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO