Are either of these any good? I might be able to pick up a 2nd hand LP Standard pretty cheap.

Whats the studio like? I would imagine its just a slightly crappier version of the Standard, right?
I have both an Epi Standard and Studio. Both are good guitars. The studio is lighter and a little bit smaller. It also lacks some of the hardware that the Studio has. I actually like the feel of the studio better, but the sound of the Standard.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
A studio is exactly that. A version of a Les Paul for recording with in a studio.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I own a standard and LOVE it. it has really good sounding low end especially, good for rock. also has a nice clean sound, very ovibous humbucker sound. Defiantely great guitars
Studio is pretty cheap. I'd avoid it.

Some of the standards are ok. What's your budget? There are better LP's around.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
There are better LP's around.

What he said. rondomusic.com is your friend. I know, they are cheap in price but NOT in quality.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
the studio is a cheaper no frills version
iwhich means no binding flat top i think open coil pickups
and so forth
id shell out the extra for the standard some look pretty nice
worth a pickupchange though
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Studio is pretty cheap. I'd avoid it.

Some of the standards are ok. What's your budget? There are better LP's around.

about $500 AUD

Obviously I'm buying used.
I have a studio and it's really nice, I think they are actually identical in construction to the standard but with limited finish options, no binding and dot inlays. The pickups are open coils but I don't know that there's actually any technical difference. Neck profile is the same I believe, hardware is pretty similar too.
A studio Gibson is a fine choice; a studio Epiphone is a poor idea. They're bolt on with horrid pickups and shoddy electrics.

Either save up and find a good Epiphone (standard and up) or go looking at some other brands. I've got no idea what's available in Australia though; sorry.

Edit: Looks like I put my foot in my mouth there. The Studio LP (according to the Epiphone site) has pretty much the same construction as the Standard. The difference seems to be cosmetic. Though with Gibson/Epiphone there are always those small details they forget to mention :P
Last edited by ch0 at Feb 24, 2009,
The studio has got worse pickups, no binding and some other minor flaws, I recommend looking into Agile or Tokai because Epi's can be a hit or miss, mine is not perfect, the G and the B string sometimes goes out of tune and mine had to be set up twice before I was satisfied with it, but still I think it's a great guitar for the price, except the minor tuning stability.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Go look at the guitars and decide for yourself. Opinions are like a$$holes and everybody has one.
The Basic Difference is finish between the two. Studio's don't have the binding around body and neck and that is really the biggest difference between the two. Like any guitar you should try them if you can then decide.
Remember the advice you're getting here are by people who think that something like a Cube 30x or vibro champ xd isn't loud enough for a practice amp in a bedroom ,that alone should tell you something.
If Burny are available in Oz, they have a very good reputation but new, just a bit over your budget, perhaps.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I can't speak for the Les Pauls because I didn't try a LP Studio, but with the Epi Dot, there's a noticable difference in the quality of the fretboards and fretwork between the Studio and the regular Dot. Perhaps it was the specific examples I was looking at, but with the ones I tried, the regular Dot played noticably better and had visibably better fretwork and fretboard.
Agile guitars > Epiphone, i own both, sold the epi lp now but i had both at one time and side by side the agiles are way better. Im talkin in compitition with gibson studios..... rondomusic ftw
~Defiant~