Page 1 of 2
I have just been told by my doctor that I have something called 'Sleep Paralysis'.
For those of you in the dark about it, this article explains it better than I ever can. And now I'm on strong anti-depressants for it.

Anybody else in the pit have this harmless but freaky condition?
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Ive only had it three times in my life. Ive just woken up and I cant move. I panic and feel like I cant breathe, but I do not have a chronic case of it. In fact the last time I had it happen when I was 18.

Hope its not too bad for you dude. Hope you recover from it.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
you been abducted by aliens lately?
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
It's happened to me once before, and it happens to my Dad every now and then. It SUCKS. It really scares the **** out of me.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
i have it all the time..just last night..when i get it i have to get up and completely wake up or it will keep happening..luckily no hallucinations last night.
I've had it happen to me about 3 times in the past 12 months. I get the whole deal. Paralysis, twitchy eyes and **** scary hallucinations. It's not nice.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I really think that this sounds pretty cool
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Had it once maybe twice. The only time I can really remember was recently. Woke up one morning, opened eyes, absolutely could not move for like 3-4 seconds even when I really tried to. If it had of lasted any longer I really would have snapped, it's like a fear similliar to claustrophobia, being trapped in a small space.
Equipment
Ibanez RGT42FX
Takamine G406S
Randall RG100G3
Digitech Metal Master
Quote by Toast1337
I really think that this sounds pretty cool

Not at all. It doesn't happen to me all that often, but when it does I end up up bursting out of bed after it passes and it's damn near impossible for me to convince myself to go back to bed for fear of it happening again. Very unpleasant.

EDIT: Apparently some people actually enjoy it (thanks Google). What sort of demonry is this?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Feb 23, 2009,
I've had it a few times, pretty scary ****. Around the time I had my sleep paralysis I was painting a skull for Art Class, and when I got the paralysis during the night I used to see the skull floating above me. It stopped happening to me when I started sleeping with this:

My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
I had it a few times when i was younger.
I looked at the door and just saw a figure there standing, with a kind of freakish smile, i tried to move or scream and couldn't, just sweat a lot.

Wasn't nice.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by ravioli123
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

I suffered from a mild case of this for a few months last year.

I've had this happen to me. Once. I didn't think anything of it. But Sleep paralysis is not cool. It's like a neverending nightmare.
Quote by dark&broken

Yep, I used to wake up an not be able to move for anything between 30seconds to a minute. It used to happen frequently from my early teens up until I was about 25, I'm 30 now and it only happens very occasionally. I never had any hallucinations though, but the not being able to move part of it was enough to freak me out when it first started happening. I never went to the Doc about it, you're the first person I ever read about having it as well. I didn't even know it had a name.
Psst ! The fat man walks alone.
Gear :
Modded Strat w/ Iron Gear Pup's

Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401

Boss GT-10
Yeah my mum has exactly the same so my doctor thinks that's how I got it, through genetics.
Quote by dark&broken

Oh man, now i'm scared to go to sleep. Just think, waking up, not being able to move at all, you think someone is standing over you, ARGH! I feel really bad for you TS. Hope you get better.
Sail upon the open skies
i had it once when i was like 7and i saw figures standing over me i was so freaked out it was crazy...
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
I've experienced this about 4 times in my life... really crazy experiences anyway. I know exactly how it feels. I recently wrote about it in one of the "crazy dream" threads haha.
Yeah, the simplest way to explain it is waking up but not being able to move and/or talk and feeling a sense of dread. It's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't had it what it's like.. I tried telling my friends about it before and you can tell they are just thinking "Yeah....ok. you're fukin weird." Anyway, a couple of times I had myself convinced I was trying to fight an attempt at being possessed by a demon as I struggled to snap myself out of it... and I'm not joking. It's just that fuk'd up. When I read up on it after it happened a couple times and and seen how a lot of people talked about the same demons and "dark clouds" descending onto them it was a trip!

EDIT: I've also noticed it only really seems to occur when if I fall asleep on my back, which is common to the condition I guess.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Last edited by MetalManiac_86 at Feb 23, 2009,
I get it maybe every week or so. Maybe it's not completely this, but I wake up, and can hardly move, and when I do, I yell from the pain of movement. It's ****ed up.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by Jacob....?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

I used to have these all the time.

Used to scare the **** out of my parents.

Dude. that's crazy.

So now I have three bodily inhibitions. I have constant vertigo, a bad heart and sleep paralysis. >_<
Quote by dark&broken

I find it odd that 90% of people in this thread seem to have this disorder.
It must not be rare.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by nosushi4you
I find it odd that 90% of people in this thread seem to have this disorder.
It must not be rare.

It's not according to my doctor, on the contrary, it's apparently more common than you'd think. Stop trying to be smart cos you totally failed there
Quote by dark&broken

Quote by eggo_boi_15
It's not according to my doctor, on the contrary, it's apparently more common than you'd think. Stop trying to be smart cos you totally failed there

Oh, take a joke. The Pit is well known for being a bunch of hypochondriacs.
I'm quite sure that you've experienced it.

EDIT: I took a look at your article. Indeed, 24.1% is high number. Like I said before, just a little joke at the expense of the Pit.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Last edited by nosushi4you at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by nosushi4you
Oh, take a joke. The Pit is well known for being a bunch of hypochondriacs.
I'm quite sure that you've experienced it.

, sorry man, it's late and I've had no sleep in the past few days. Gimme a break
And I have experienced it, my doctor said so
Quote by dark&broken

yeah i had night terrors when i was little. starting when i was 4 years old, i would scream bloody murder in my sleep every night. the neighbors called the cops because they thought my parents beat me. I don't remember much of it and I grew out of the condition but I still remember some of the horrible feelings when i went to sleep...
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Holy **** that's what it's called? That happened to me at a party and on the way home from soccer camp. It's scary, but I thought it was just from exhaustion.
Hey, let's be friends.

Check my band Fear Elise and like our page!

http://tinyurl.com/46xyyv5

My Gear:

Ampeg 410HE
Ampeg B2RE
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive Pedal
EHX Enigma Envelope Filter
Epiphone Thunderbird
Music Man Stingray 4
Quote by meta1militia
yeah i had night terrors when i was little. starting when i was 4 years old, i would scream bloody murder in my sleep every night. the neighbors called the cops because they thought my parents beat me. I don't remember much of it and I grew out of the condition but I still remember some of the horrible feelings when i went to sleep...

Haha, I don't remember having night terrors, just paralysis.. but my sister had the terror's pretty good when she was younger. Same thing. She'd seemingly wake up, sit up in bed, her eyes were wide open, like terrified looking and breathing heavily. It was like she was looking right through you to, she dint know what was goin on and would really freak out sometimes
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
mine was ****ed up.

i was falling into the pavement and had the feeling i was being pushed.

another time i got this feeling of absolute dread and i was paralyzed but i could look around. weird feeling
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
According to wiki ( which I take with a pinch of salt) everyone experiences some form of sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime.
Quote by dark&broken

I kind of just want it to happen just the one time, just to know what it's like. I feel left out in these threads
Quote by fretsonfire74
I kind of just want it to happen just the one time, just to know what it's like. I feel left out in these threads

No, srsly, you don't. You wake up with a overwhelming sense of panic and fear. That's the best part of it.
Quote by dark&broken

did the aliens do it to you?

edit: oh and i get these like all the time if they are what i think they are. i got it one time when i had my guitar in my hands and fell asleep with it. i woke up and nearly threw it at the wall
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Last edited by risetofight at Feb 23, 2009,
Are you taking benedryl before you go to sleep. This happens to me when i take banedryl even if i just take one.

When i tak 25 it happens to me while im awake
PG > YWM

oh, btw... is it bad if your pee is red?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in scotland they call carbonated drinks 'juice' so you would say a can of juice for example. But they call poop jobbies, so their take on things doesn't count.
Quote by baumgartner
Are you taking benedryl before you go to sleep. This happens to me when i take banedryl even if i just take one.

When i tak 25 it happens to me while im awake

No I don't take any sort of pills or anything before I sleep. It just...happens I suppose.
Quote by dark&broken

Page 1 of 2