February 22-28. This is quite a widespread issue affecting so many, I've heard about others in the pit being affecting themselves, or their friends. It's a problem that's quite close to my heart and I'd appreciate people refraining from belittling or making fun of EDs and its sufferers, because it is a serious psychological problem despite the misconceptions created through not understanding its entirety.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/information-resources/general-information.php

The following story really sums up the devastating effect an ED can have on the sufferer and those who care about them
http://www.edf.org.au/2007/12/12/lizzys-story/

So Pit I'd encourage you to discuss and to share your stories about EDs that we might spread awareness and break the stigmas attached.
Haha, you said ED.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
AND National Pancake Day Tomorrow. Damn you America.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
the only disorder of eating i have is i cant ever get full
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Quote by jwax
damn i feel fat...

i am fat. it's fun to make jokes about it.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Quote by RampagingAcorn
i am fat. it's fun to make jokes about it.

That's true though I despise overweight comedians who make fat jokes. I doesn't take any effort at all.
Quote by DegaMeth

Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Bamitchell
AND National Pancake Day Tomorrow. Damn you America.

*slash* Fat Tuesday.

Then factor that Lent is 40 days of fasting...wonderful.
Quote by DegaMeth

i see your giant burger and raise you the worlds biggest cookie

WHAT NOW?
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Hergiswi wins, as far as I am concerned. That photoshopped pic is hilarious.

I don't get why we need all these "awareness" weeks and other misfit holidays. They're stupid. If people aren't "aware" of disorders and illnesses any other time of the year, then we have a problem. Disorders such as these just weed out the weaker links of society. I can say that without feeling bad either, considering my past is filled with eating disorders, self-abuse, and suicide. People need to experience these things for their own reasons. Most people get over it, as it generally is a phase. My life motto is: A little suffering never hurt anyone. I stick by that. Its unfortunate some people take it to an extreme which leads to death, however, like I said, it weeds out the weaker links.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I have Schizophrenia.

Oh wait, wrong type of disorder.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Bulemia, zero calories, twice the taste.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by Devopast
Bulemia, zero calories, twice the taste.

I went out with a Bulemic girl once...no need to ask if she did spit or swallow
On topic...eating disorders are so tough to deal with. My mom has a type of eating disorder. She over exercises and obsesses about food's health content. Everything in her life is planned around exercise. The only time she doesn't exercise is when she's really sick. Like earlier this year when she had hernia surgery. Which was caused by overexercising. Of course, people will tell her she looks so good and is thin and this only adds to the problem. They don't understand that it's pretty much destroying her. My dad worries so much about it, but doesn't know how to fix it. She's tired all the time and I'm afraid it's literally affecting her ability to think as well. She never wants to learn anything new or deviate from her set schedule at all.

If someone tries to talk to her about just even resting for one day because she's so exhausted, she gets extremely defensive. She tells me that "exercising is my way of relaxing. It's like you and guitar." No, Mom. It isn't.

The health food obsession...another part of the problem. My sister got married this summer and my mom didn't eat a piece of the wedding cake. It's moments like that that frustrate the hell out of me and make me just want to scream. There are times when she's worse and times when it just seems "normal". To me, at least. I love her so much and really don't want to see something horrible happen to her.

Go back to ur jokes.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Quote by Ulalume
Hergiswi wins, as far as I am concerned. That photoshopped pic is hilarious.

I don't get why we need all these "awareness" weeks and other misfit holidays. They're stupid. If people aren't "aware" of disorders and illnesses any other time of the year, then we have a problem. Disorders such as these just weed out the weaker links of society. I can say that without feeling bad either, considering my past is filled with eating disorders, self-abuse, and suicide. People need to experience these things for their own reasons. Most people get over it, as it generally is a phase. My life motto is: A little suffering never hurt anyone. I stick by that. Its unfortunate some people take it to an extreme which leads to death, however, like I said, it weeds out the weaker links.

Yay, three serious answers.

Yeah there are a hell of a lot of national this-or-thats but it's kind of necesary. If it helps even a few people, it's worth it. It's fair to say what you did, but most didn't ask for this problem and it's a persistent thing. Apparently there are 11 million in the US (don't quote me on that) suffering from eating disorders now and there's got to be someone who gives a shit to try and help somebody cause it's a hard thing to break out of.

Quote by Kata Dante
On topic...eating disorders are so tough to deal with. My mom has a type of eating disorder.

Dude you have to get her to a doctor ASAP. The longer she leaves it the worse it will get and harder it will be for her to recover. Seriously if you just get her there for a checkup they'll see it immediately.
Last edited by Le_Bunny at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Le_Bunny
Yay, three serious answers.

Dude you have to get her to a doctor ASAP. The longer she leaves it the worse it will get and harder it will be for her to recover. Seriously if you just get her there for a checkup they'll see it immediately.

The problem is, when she had surgery done last December my dad did try and tell the doctor about it. He really wanted the doctor to tell her to exercise less because she might listen to someone other than family. But doctors and other people don't understand that she's not just a "normal" person exercising the average amount. Basically, people see that she eats healthy and exercises and immediately think all's well. So they don't tell her to stop. She's so defensive about it too. She's had just regular anorexia in the past too, which she admits was stupid, but she really doesn't see what's wrong with how she's living at the moment. That's a major part of the problem, because you can't force someone into any kind of treatment. My dad has looked into support groups and stuff, but he's afraid of breaking her trust, I think.

The situation is complicated. I can't even begin to explain it well. arggg...it sucks. :[
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
rip Billy Mays <3
Quote by Kata Dante
She's so defensive about it too. She's had just regular anorexia in the past too, which she admits was stupid, but she really doesn't see what's wrong with how she's living at the moment. That's a major part of the problem, because you can't force someone into any kind of treatment. My dad has looked into support groups and stuff, but he's afraid of breaking her trust, I think.

The situation is complicated. I can't even begin to explain it well. arggg...it sucks. :[

It's not her-- it's the disorder. Yeah it is a very difficult situation but perhaps she needs to know how concerned all of you are. She doesn't seem to realise how much she's missing in her life. I say talk openly about it with her with an emphasis on how you're feeling in reaction to her behaviour. I hope this gets sorted out, it's a hard thing.
There's no such thing as an eating disorder. It's either a question of lazy gluttonous fat fucks or women with major self-esteem issues.
Quote by AzureNight
There's no such thing as an eating disorder. It's either a question of lazy gluttonous fat fucks or women with major self-esteem issues.

How about you say that to the face of a mother who's lost a child to an eating disorder, and then come back here and act so smug about it. That's like saying clinical depression is just being sad or an alcoholic just needs to stop drinking.
Quote by Kata Dante
On topic...eating disorders are so tough to deal with. My mom has a type of eating disorder. She over exercises and obsesses about food's health content. Everything in her life is planned around exercise. The only time she doesn't exercise is when she's really sick. Like earlier this year when she had hernia surgery. Which was caused by overexercising. Of course, people will tell her she looks so good and is thin and this only adds to the problem. They don't understand that it's pretty much destroying her. My dad worries so much about it, but doesn't know how to fix it. She's tired all the time and I'm afraid it's literally affecting her ability to think as well. She never wants to learn anything new or deviate from her set schedule at all.

If someone tries to talk to her about just even resting for one day because she's so exhausted, she gets extremely defensive. She tells me that "exercising is my way of relaxing. It's like you and guitar." No, Mom. It isn't.

The health food obsession...another part of the problem. My sister got married this summer and my mom didn't eat a piece of the wedding cake. It's moments like that that frustrate the hell out of me and make me just want to scream. There are times when she's worse and times when it just seems "normal". To me, at least. I love her so much and really don't want to see something horrible happen to her.

Go back to ur jokes.

I don't really see that as an eating disorder. So she actually thinks about eating healthy and excercising. Have you ever thought that mabey she enjoys excercising, she enjoys being able to plan all these things and then go and do them. I have never heard of someone getting a hernia from over excercise.

There are thousands of people like her, who plan what they are going to eat. And plan when they are going to excersise, and their life revovles around excercise. I know my sister and dad are in the same boat. It's not a negative.
Quote by Le_Bunny
How about you say that to the face of a mother who's lost a child to an eating disorder, and then come back here and act so smug about it. That's like saying clinical depression is just being sad or an alcoholic just needs to stop drinking.

but an alcoholic DOES need to stop drinking
Emphasis on 'just'. Alcoholics need help to get to the point where they can stop don't they? And Razorback, the difference between healthy diet & exercise and an ED is what they get out of it: positivity or obsessive compulsions. The latter leads to deterioration of health because it's too extreme for the body to handle.
Jokes about this are NOT funny.
You won't get it until you know or love someone going through it.

Although that photoshopped pic is hilarious.
Haha
national eating disorders week!?.. Are you ****ing serious,

This has to be a joke. Next there will be National Sufferers Of ADHD Week. This is sad
PG > YWM

oh, btw... is it bad if your pee is red?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in scotland they call carbonated drinks 'juice' so you would say a can of juice for example. But they call poop jobbies, so their take on things doesn't count.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Emphasis on 'just'. Alcoholics need help to get to the point where they can stop don't they? And Razorback, the difference between healthy diet & exercise and an ED is what they get out of it: positivity or obsessive compulsions. The latter leads to deterioration of health because it's too extreme for the body to handle.

If its the same sort of obsessive compulsiveness you mean i know about that. I had OCD and this sounds similar to it. I had it when i was young, still have to manage it as they say but it took willpower that is all and i don't do this stupid stuff now.
dunno if it's a technical eating disorder but i have pretty bad "fat kid syndrome". I used to weigh 240 pounds but through diet and exercise (healthy diet & exercise btw) i've lost 55 pounds and am now down to 185. Unfortunately whenever i look in the mirror i still see the same fat guy i started out as
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Le_Bunny
That's like saying clinical depression is just being sad or an alcoholic just needs to stop drinking.

um an alcoholic makes the choice to put the bottle to his lips.

I guess its not a heroin addicts fault that he chose to put the needle in his arm too.
PG > YWM

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in scotland they call carbonated drinks 'juice' so you would say a can of juice for example. But they call poop jobbies, so their take on things doesn't count.
loled soo hard at the cake
PG > YWM

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by razorback_al_31
I don't really see that as an eating disorder. So she actually thinks about eating healthy and excercising. Have you ever thought that mabey she enjoys excercising, she enjoys being able to plan all these things and then go and do them. I have never heard of someone getting a hernia from over excercise.

There are thousands of people like her, who plan what they are going to eat. And plan when they are going to excersise, and their life revovles around excercise. I know my sister and dad are in the same boat. It's not a negative.

It is.

http://www.eating-disorder.com/Eating-Treatment/Eating-Disorders/compulsive_exercising.htm

http://www.edtreatmentcenters.com/compulsive-exercise.php

My mom matches most of the symptoms.
deviantART ||| flickr
last.fm zune
rip Billy Mays <3