When it comes to soloing do you have to play in key with your bassist/rythm guitarist? Lets take the Free Bird solo for an example:

(If you know how to play the song you'll know what i'm talking about.)

Rythm: G power chord, A# power chord, then C power chord.

The lead guitar stays in the key of G and doesn't switch to A# or C.

If you have a power chord progression for an example: A, B then C, can you stay in one key like A and not switch with the power chords?

. . .Sorry if this doesn't make since but I tried to explain the best I could.
Depend on the key of the song, you will solo in one (or more) scale(s) in that key. If your song is as simple as A-B-C (lol), then you'll be soloing in A.
And a bit of advice, if it sounds good to you, do it.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White
Fender American Strat in Sunburst
Fender HSS Strat Satin in Red
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric in Black Sunburst
Marshall Valvestate AVT100
Fender G-Dec 15 watts
Digitech RP500
The lead may solo in the key of G, but with his phrasing, he'll usually pass or stop on an A# or C when it switches to them.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by SUPERIORLINKX
When it comes to soloing do you have to play in key with your bassist/rythm guitarist? Lets take the Free Bird solo for an example:

(If you know how to play the song you'll know what i'm talking about.)

Rythm: G power chord, A# power chord, then C power chord.

The lead guitar stays in the key of G and doesn't switch to A# or C.

If you have a power chord progression for an example: A, B then C, can you stay in one key like A and not switch with the power chords?

. . .Sorry if this doesn't make since but I tried to explain the best I could.

The rhythm is in the key of G, therefore you solo in G. It doesn't matter that the chords change, what matters is what it all resolves to which is G
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by -Dylan
Depend on the key of the song, you will solo in one (or more) scale(s) in that key. If your song is as simple as A-B-C (lol), then you'll be soloing in A.
And a bit of advice, if it sounds good to you, do it.

C would be out of key then.
Maybe A minor, or G major, or C major, or E minor.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
C would be out of key then.
Maybe A minor, or G major, or C major, or E minor.

Yeah I know what you mean. . . I just took three random letters for an example :P. But yeah everybody who posted helped out. Thank you =)