1. I've heard the earlier ones with the vertical inputs are more desirable. Why is that?

2. How loud will I have to crank this thing for it to sound nice? Isn't too huge of an issue at home because I play in my basement mostly, but I also take lessons at my school and don't want to disrupt other lessons too bad

3. Will I be able to get ANY modern sounds out of this? Or will i always be stuck with that classic rock tone? I like that, but I'm kinda afraid that tone is much overused. Thanks
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
1.) there are many different versions of the 800. When I wanted one I researched the "best one" but unfortunately I don't remember which. The one without the verb is definitely better though.

2.) To get sweet tone you'll need to take it a little more than half way. To get roaring tone, you need it like 3/4th. But it does sound relatively ok at basement levels. It's pretty loud to begin with though. You might disrupt people past volume at 1. Grab a 50 watt and do everyone a favor.

3.) with a pedal you can get sweet modern tones.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
if you want more modern sounds, get a JCM900. it sounds better at low volumes than the 800 imo, and in general much more modern and versatile.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
1.) there are many different versions of the 800. When I wanted one I researched the "best one" but unfortunately I don't remember which. The one without the verb is definitely better though.

2.) To get sweet tone you'll need to take it a little more than half way. To get roaring tone, you need it like 3/4th. But it does sound relatively ok at basement levels. It's pretty loud to begin with though. You might disrupt people past volume at 1. Grab a 50 watt and do everyone a favor.

3.) with a pedal you can get sweet modern tones.

Yeah I forgot to mention, I was looking at the 4104 (50 watt 212 with the single channels) I was looking at Attenuators to try and get a good tone at lower levels, do you have any you could recommend?

I actually agree with the statement about the 900. Cheaper too.

I've only heard good things about the THQ hot plate attenuator. But I've never used one myself.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Weber Mass are better and cheaper than THD Hotplates.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321
Weber Mass are better and cheaper than THD Hotplates.

Certainly cheaper. I have played with a webber. It's nice, but the THD is much more flexible. But then again, if you are only going to use it for one amp, the webber would be fine.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
tbh, i think the price and tone-sucking would make it not worth getting an attenuator. what styles do you play? if you're playing metal, then i say screw the 800
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I play classic rock, alternative, blues, and some funk

Quote by Artemis Entreri
Certainly cheaper. I have played with a webber. It's nice, but the THD is much more flexible. But then again, if you are only going to use it for one amp, the webber would be fine.

Huh? You can select the ohms on the webers where the THDs are set to one. The hot plate has nothing that the Weber doesn't have. THD should be ashamed for what they charge for what is basically a few jacks and some power resistors in a box.

Attenuators can work, but if you're significantly attenuating you will lose tone, and it will not sound as good as it could.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Artemis Entreri

The Weber mass is a tone sucker, but seriously, how in the world is it less flexible than the THD (which also sucks tone to an even worse degree)?
Wow. My bad. I don't know why I mixed those up. Please disregard everything i have said about those two attenuators.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if you want more modern sounds, get a JCM900. it sounds better at low volumes than the 800 imo, and in general much more modern and versatile.

This.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
tbh, i think the price and tone-sucking would make it not worth getting an attenuator. what styles do you play? if you're playing metal, then i say screw the 800

Pretty much This. Listen to nutinpwnsgibson, he knows his **** and is speaking the truth

But i would say that if you're not playing metal at loud volumes frequently, than screw the 800, the 900 will be able to do metal at way lower levels, as well as be more modern
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I didn't say anything about playing metal

Quote by acdclandon

Pretty much This. Listen to nutinpwnsgibson, he knows his **** and is speaking the truth

you, my friend, are about to be sigged
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Also, about the vertical input thing...

They basically changed the design of the 2203 between the vertical input era and horizontal input era. There were some not so big changes (they went to PCB mounted pots and inputs) and then some big, tone altering changes which went from 6 filter caps to 3 filter caps which really affected the tone quite a bit. It made it thinner, brighter, which a lot of people don't like.

And getting a modern tone out of the JCM800 is not a big issue at all. Switch to KT88s, they will give you a huge amount of low end and a tons of headroom in your power stage. It gives it a cleaner, almost hi-fi amplifier feel. But you will need to put an overdrive or clean boost in front to really drive your front end harder.